The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who (Besides Matt) Can The Band Lose And It Wouldn't Mat
PostPosted: Sun January 26, 2014 6:21 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Matt

He's a zombie so he's on borrowed time anyway.

PostPosted: Sun January 26, 2014 6:25 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

harmless wrote:
I'm bored of just having my ears superficially tickled by this band, I want them to peg me.

sigh

*unzips*

PostPosted: Sun January 26, 2014 6:37 pm 
Poster of the Year

Birds in Hell wrote:
Lament wrote:
I'd love to hear a record made by Stone, Jeff, and Matt.

A thousand times this.

Yep, just let Stone sing.

PostPosted: Sun January 26, 2014 6:55 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Better yet, have Stone, Jeff, and Matt write the music and bring in Ed to sing for them. That'd be great.

PostPosted: Sun January 26, 2014 6:55 pm 
Poster of the Year

fuck that, let stone sing

PostPosted: Sun January 26, 2014 6:56 pm 

Ok you win

PostPosted: Sun January 26, 2014 6:57 pm 

Kaius wrote:
Better yet, have Stone, Jeff, and Matt write the music and bring in Ed to sing for them. That'd be great.

*experimental

PostPosted: Sun January 26, 2014 8:31 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Sun January 26, 2014 9:52 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

theplatypus wrote:
harmless wrote:
I'm bored of just having my ears superficially tickled by this band, I want them to peg me.

sigh

*unzips*

:luv:

PostPosted: Mon January 27, 2014 6:32 am 
Banned from the Pit

harmless wrote:
I absolutely agree. I don't think Lightning Bolt is life-endingly bad, I really don't. But I just want some engagement and genuinely interesting ideas. I'm bored of just having my ears superficially tickled by this band, I want them to peg me.

You have a way with words.

I like Lightning Bolt more than Backspacer, and think a lot of what Jeff wrote is very interesting.

PostPosted: Mon January 27, 2014 6:42 am 
Rank This Poster

EJ wrote:

Matt

He's a zombie so he's on borrowed time anyway.

This is funny.

PostPosted: Mon January 27, 2014 11:26 am 

lejarmap138 wrote:
harmless wrote:
I absolutely agree. I don't think Lightning Bolt is life-endingly bad, I really don't. But I just want some engagement and genuinely interesting ideas. I'm bored of just having my ears superficially tickled by this band, I want them to peg me.

You have a way with words.

I like Lightning Bolt more than Backspacer, and think a lot of what Jeff wrote is very interesting.

I do too, but I could like it much more, and that frustrates me.

PostPosted: Mon January 27, 2014 1:10 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Wishlist wrote:
Drummers come and go in this band so losing Matt wouldn't change a thing (might even make them better).

But of Eddie, Stone, Mike, and Jeff which guy if they left would matter least?

Gotta go with Mike. Lead player? I can't stand lead guitar. Leave that stuff to hair metal bands. Sure Mike has written a few top songs for the band, but bottom line if he weren't on the left side of the stage, the band would still be Pearl Jam.

Matt is so important to Pearl Jam, you do not have a clue! Do you play an instrument? If you don't like Matt you don't understand music. :wave:

PostPosted: Mon January 27, 2014 3:04 pm 
Broken Tamborine

LuNY wrote:
Wishlist wrote:
Drummers come and go in this band so losing Matt wouldn't change a thing (might even make them better).

Gotta go with Mike. Lead player? I can't stand lead guitar. Leave that stuff to hair metal bands. Sure Mike has written a few top songs for the band, but bottom line if he weren't on the left side of the stage, the band would still be Pearl Jam.

Matt is so important to Pearl Jam, you do not have a clue! Do you play an instrument? If you don't like Matt you don't understand music. :wave:

I tend to think the opposite. It's a perfect example of forced chemistry. I'm not saying Matt is a bad drummer, but his style doesn't jive with the rest of the band. He's a tight technical drummer and they used to have such a (to borrow a Zeppelin term) tight but loose groove going on.

As the band exists now, excluding a few bright spots from Stone and Jeff on the last album, the band could exist with only Ed.

In Pearl Jam, at their best and how I think they should sound, Mike is the most replaceable, and I love lead guitar playing in the right place. He's just never been that interesting aside from writing a song here or there.

For the most part, it's been awhile since awhile since you could tell who is playing guitar in PJ, and that blame falls on whoever decided that Stone's role should be diminished.

PostPosted: Mon January 27, 2014 4:30 pm 
AnalLog

Oh, Jimmy wrote:
LuNY wrote:
Wishlist wrote:

I tend to think the opposite. It's a perfect example of forced chemistry. I'm not saying Matt is a bad drummer, but his style doesn't jive with the rest of the band. He's a tight technical drummer and they used to have such a (to borrow a Zeppelin term) tight but loose groove going on.

As the band exists now, excluding a few bright spots from Stone and Jeff on the last album, the band could exist with only Ed.

In Pearl Jam, at their best and how I think they should sound, Mike is the most replaceable, and I love lead guitar playing in the right place. He's just never been that interesting aside from writing a song here or there.

For the most part, it's been awhile since awhile since you could tell who is playing guitar in PJ, and that blame falls on whoever decided that Stone's role should be diminished.

Stone himself decided that. He said it often happens people confuse his parts with Mike's in the sense that he writes more lead parts than he used to. I think his contribution, he called it adding colour to the songs or something similar, are in my opinion far superior than Mike's and Jeff's. He has better taste and doesn't sound like an "attention whore" in the mix. This is the biggest problem with Pearl Jam today compared to the past IMO. B'OB toy keyboards included. They used to be able to write songs that were better than the sum of their parts. I don't know, i guess sticking a kindergarten sing-along melody/bass line on a song like Gateway is imaginative and interesting but to me it sounds like an amateurish way of ruining a song.

PostPosted: Mon January 27, 2014 9:48 pm 
Broken Tamborine

They are ALL important. They are a band, all great players. If not for Mike the band would have never happened. He encouraged Stone to get back with Jeff. Matt is a genius rock drummer, he is like Keith Moon on roids and meth. hahaaha

PostPosted: Mon January 27, 2014 9:55 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Matt is pretty much the polar opposite of Keith Moon in terms of playing style.

PostPosted: Mon January 27, 2014 9:57 pm 
Broken Tamborine

theplatypus wrote:
Matt is pretty much the polar opposite of Keith Moon in terms of playing style.

Some of his rolls are very Moonish with a little Bonzo mixed in....

PostPosted: Mon January 27, 2014 9:58 pm 

LuNY wrote:
Wishlist wrote:

PostPosted: Mon January 27, 2014 9:59 pm 

Jack Irons was closer to Moon, if a little less bombastic.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam