The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 931 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47

Rate Riot Act
5 Stars: A top tier album 27%  27%  [ 41 ]
4 Stars: A very good album 49%  49%  [ 74 ]
3 Stars: Average 19%  19%  [ 28 ]
2: Stars: I expect more 4%  4%  [ 6 ]
1 Star: Embarrassing 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 150
 Post subject: Re: Riot Act: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Tue March 26, 2024 1:52 am 
Broken Tamborine

tragabigzanda wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
absolutely love this album, wall to wall bangers, I hit play and enjoy

Honestly one of just three albums (Vs, Vitalogy, and this) of theirs where I don’t skip any songs. Even the ones I don’t like work well enough in the flow that I just roll with it

Riot Act is my favorite album of theirs to just press play on track one and let the thing run...I absolutely love how the band sounds on this album. And while I think it's a good to very good collection of songs, I definitely feel it is greater than the sum of it's parts.

PostPosted: Tue March 26, 2024 1:09 pm 
A Return To Form

I said it in the Get Right SOTM, but one of the things about Riot Act is the truly wonderful production. I think it was Jeff in the PJ20 book describing the process of the band just kind of jamming through the songs while the engineers would move mics around and then when the band was ready to record a take, the engineers would say it's already in the can. So every song has a real live feel because it basically was. And the mix is balanced so perfectly. You can always hear the whole band and each instrument has its own space in the spectrum so they're all clear as a bell.

A lot of people mention Eddie Vedder's singing, which does sound tired. It reminds me of The Ground Beneath Her Feet a bit. In that novel, Salman Rushdie is writing about a singer who's girlfriend and collaborator
Spoiler: show
dies
. The final tour, he describes the singer going full afterburner, not saving anything for the return journey. Kind of an end.

Anyway, I think Eddie Vedder sang the American leg of the 2000 tour like there would be no tomorrow. I think his singing on Riot Act is trying to find a way to use his voice in a way that will hold up to another 20 years. I mean, stopping smoking might have helped too but you can only ask so much of a man. Anyway, that pacing sort of mindset also attaches to the politics. I think he has to turn the corner into a sustainable burn. What scans as weariness I think hits more like maturing. Waking up a bit to reality that you can't just strongarm the world into the shape you want. Undone, of all the songs, captures this best.

PostPosted: Tue March 26, 2024 1:14 pm 
The worst

Riot Acts vocals shot up in my estimation once it was clear they were a choice. I struggled with the notion that Eddie lost his power and passion

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue March 26, 2024 1:17 pm 
She / Her

stip wrote:
Riot Acts vocals shot up in my estimation once it was clear they were a choice. I struggled with the notion that Eddie lost his power and passion

:hooray:

PostPosted: Tue March 26, 2024 1:30 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

stip wrote:

That's a good point. Doesn't change the product itself, but it does give it the understanding of it added meaning.

PostPosted: Tue March 26, 2024 1:33 pm 
She / Her

Riot Act is a great example of a record where emotional delivery choices were taken other than "let's rawk"; there's a story to it that deepens Pearl Jam's overall emotional range

PostPosted: Tue March 26, 2024 1:35 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Couldn't agree more. Every album has some of that, but it really started with No Code.

PostPosted: Tue March 26, 2024 2:46 pm 
AnalLog

stip wrote:

That's a great point. It's one thing I can certainly admit to being insensitive to, until someone here pointed it out.
One of the many times someone here put me in my place where I it caused me to think about something from a different POV.

We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…

PostPosted: Wed April 24, 2024 1:00 pm 
Broken Tamborine

It's aged very well, and I really like it, but I'm keeping the 3 out of 5 stars.

Too long.

PostPosted: Wed April 24, 2024 2:17 pm 
The Master

So happy to say that this no longer Pearl Jam's last great album. Gigaton and DM have picked up the baton that was dropped somewhere in late 2005.

PostPosted: Wed April 24, 2024 8:12 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

DeeDee wrote:
It's aged very well, and I really like it, but I'm keeping the 3 out of 5 stars.

Too long.

I agree with the first part and have always loved the early Matt years (1998 - 2003). This album and tour are both great, but not the best from PJ; 4 out of 5 stars.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 931 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam