The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 931 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next

Rate Riot Act
5 Stars: A top tier album 27%  27%  [ 41 ]
4 Stars: A very good album 49%  49%  [ 74 ]
3 Stars: Average 19%  19%  [ 28 ]
2: Stars: I expect more 4%  4%  [ 6 ]
1 Star: Embarrassing 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 150
 Post subject: Re: Riot Act: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Mon November 13, 2023 9:52 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Anders wrote:
November 12th marks the 21st anniversary of the band’s seventh studio album, Riot Act.

I remember going to go the record store to buy it. It was about 3pm. I couldn’t find the CD in the Pearl Jam section. I asked an employee and he realized they had not opened the delivery box yet and hadn’t put the albums on the shelves. At 3 pm. I love this album even more because of this. They didn’t promote it. Probably because of Roskilde. The last great Pearl Jam album.

PostPosted: Mon November 13, 2023 10:52 am 
AnalLog

Matters wrote:
Anders wrote:
November 12th marks the 21st anniversary of the band’s seventh studio album, Riot Act.

I remember going to go the record store to buy it. It was about 3pm. I couldn’t find the CD in the Pearl Jam section. I asked an employee and he realized they had not opened the delivery box yet and hadn’t put the albums on the shelves. At 3 pm. I love this album even more because of this. They didn’t promote it. Probably because of Roskilde. The last great Pearl Jam album.

I love these memories/stories.

My memory of Riot Act was this is the first album that I downloaded via a leak.

My other memory was in the 10c club newletter Ed was describing the energy/feeling in the studio and quoted lyrics from “Undone” as reference to the albums feel. I still wish Undone made the final cut

PostPosted: Mon November 13, 2023 1:38 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Undone would have been great on Riot Act.

PostPosted: Mon November 13, 2023 1:42 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Im alright with the RA we got. The b sides are great b sides too.

PostPosted: Tue November 14, 2023 12:14 am 
Broken Tamborine

The Binaural/Riot Act era was definitely very productive for the band.

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2023 9:28 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

VinylGuy wrote:
Im alright delighted with the RA we got. The b sides are great b sides too.

PostPosted: Tue November 21, 2023 10:42 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Been listening to Riot Act. Other than just loving the quality of the song-writing, two things jump out: the production is outstanding (maybe my favorite) and the sequencing is excellent.

PostPosted: Wed November 22, 2023 12:19 am 
The worst

I agree Riot Act sounds great but I'm personally not a fan of the sequencing. With the caveat that i'm not sure what i'd do differently, the back half of the album really starts to feel like a slog, and the effect lessens the impact of almost all the songs for me. Some of it is the fact that it's lengthy to begin with, and Eddie sings the album in a heavy, almost laborious style, which adds to the weight. So to be fair, maybe on an album that felt lighter and more dexterous the sequencing would work better.

First half works really well, for sure

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed November 29, 2023 7:26 pm 
Broken Tamborine

I love Undone and Down but I’ve always struggled with whether I’d want them on Riot Act.

PostPosted: Wed November 29, 2023 7:46 pm 
AnalLog

stip wrote:
I agree Riot Act sounds great but I'm personally not a fan of the sequencing. With the caveat that i'm not sure what i'd do differently, the back half of the album really starts to feel like a slog, and the effect lessens the impact of almost all the songs for me. Some of it is the fact that it's lengthy to begin with, and Eddie sings the album in a heavy, almost laborious style, which adds to the weight. So to be fair, maybe on an album that felt lighter and more dexterous the sequencing would work better.

First half works really well, for sure

For me, the length is an issue, and I say that as someone who loves this record.

PostPosted: Wed November 29, 2023 10:11 pm 
tl;dr

Riot Act is shorter than both Vitalogy and Gigaton. Is it the number of songs that is the problem?

It has never felt like an unwieldy album to me; I really like the way it flows and think it plays through really nicely for all the variety in it. To me, a record with more songs, but shorter ones, has a tendency to breeze by faster than something like Gigaton where the songs are longer and risk getting bogged down in themselves.

PostPosted: Wed November 29, 2023 10:27 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Kevin Davis wrote:
Riot Act is shorter than both Vitalogy and Gigaton.

OH SNAP

PostPosted: Wed November 29, 2023 10:34 pm 
The worst

Kevin Davis wrote:
Riot Act is shorter than both Vitalogy and Gigaton. Is it the number of songs that is the problem?

It has never felt like an unwieldy album to me; I really like the way it flows and think it plays through really nicely for all the variety in it. To me, a record with more songs, but shorter ones, has a tendency to breeze by faster than something like Gigaton where the songs are longer and risk getting bogged down in themselves.

fortunately Vitalogy has that optional final track to bring the length down.

Gigaton’s length always surprises me. It doesn’t carry its length (to me), even though a few songs do drag a tiny bit - 7oclock, river cross, comes then goes)

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed November 29, 2023 10:35 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

stip wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu November 30, 2023 1:47 am 
Future Drummer

epilogue wrote:
stip wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

:lol:

No way he was going to miss that opportunity.

PostPosted: Thu November 30, 2023 1:51 am 
AnalLog

stip wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

Gigaton’s length always surprises me. It doesn’t carry its length (to me), even though a few songs do drag a tiny bit - 7oclock, river cross, comes then goes)

Maybe it's the number of songs. Gigaton definitely feels like a shorter listen to me.

PostPosted: Thu November 30, 2023 11:49 am 
The worst

there was that old consensus around Riot Act that the album felt tired. With hindsight that's not the right word, but weary probably is - it's baked into the albums themes and aesthetics and is one of its strengths, but that also saps more from the listener. Gigaton, on the other hand is an album designed to feel like an alarm clock/wake up call, and so unsurprisingly the album has an energy that doesn't really flag.

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu November 30, 2023 4:57 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

stip wrote:
there was that old consensus around Riot Act that the album felt tired. With hindsight that's not the right word, but weary probably is - it's baked into the albums themes and aesthetics and is one of its strengths, but that also saps more from the listener. Gigaton, on the other hand is an album designed to feel like an alarm clock/wake up call, and so unsurprisingly the album has an energy that doesn't really flag.

I sometimes wonder if who you are when you first listened the album has more to do with how you hear it than the actual music.

PostPosted: Thu November 30, 2023 5:06 pm 
She / Her

I do think Riot Act is a world-weary album searching for hope (and not entirely finding it but carrying on regardless); I think one reason I love it is that it seems like a real, genuine continuation of the spirit of their early music; what would I imagine those kids as old(er) men would sound like? Riot Act

PostPosted: Thu November 30, 2023 5:10 pm 
Rank This Poster

epilogue wrote:
stip wrote:

I sometimes wonder if who you are when you first listened the album has more to do with how you hear it than the actual music.

That's probably why I consider Binaural to be their "horniest" album.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 931 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam