The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 928 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 47  Next

Rate Riot Act
5 Stars: A top tier album 29%  29%  [ 40 ]
4 Stars: A very good album 48%  48%  [ 67 ]
3 Stars: Average 19%  19%  [ 26 ]
2: Stars: I expect more 4%  4%  [ 6 ]
1 Star: Embarrassing 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 140
 Post subject: Re: Riot Act: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Sat July 27, 2013 8:26 am 
The worst

the first few months of parenting are a desperate struggle to find things to do while you keep your boring kid alive

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sat July 27, 2013 11:32 am 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

Parents often say that babies need to come with an instruction book. I think that if they actually did, all it would say is:

Don't kill the kid.

PostPosted: Sat July 27, 2013 1:47 pm 
Future Drummer

They should have put Last Soldier on this ( was it even recorded round the same time?)

I'd also have to cut Thumbing My way , LBC, I am Mine, and Save you. And add Otherside.

PostPosted: Sat July 27, 2013 2:17 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

A top tier album, some days my favourite.

PostPosted: Sat July 27, 2013 2:56 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Terrible album, songs, and production. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat July 27, 2013 3:24 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

stupidmop wrote:
They should have put Last Soldier on this ( was it even recorded round the same time?)

I'd also have to cut Thumbing My way , LBC, I am Mine, and Save you. And add Otherside.

Last Soldier is a one of those really sad and beautiful at once kinda song; i love it.

PostPosted: Sat July 27, 2013 3:42 pm 

I actually forgot to comment in my last post about Bushleaguer. So I will now. People complain that it's stuck in a time and so isn't relevant anymore and I disagree. I think it's just as applicable to any detestable politician. I'm currently enjoying its relevance to David Cameron.

PostPosted: Sat July 27, 2013 3:43 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

harmless wrote:
I actually forgot to comment in my last post about Bushleaguer. So I will now. People complain that it's stuck in a time and so isn't relevant anymore and I disagree. I think it's just as applicable to any detestable politician. I'm currently enjoying its relevance to David Cameron.

Pretty much yes. Cameron is hideous.

PostPosted: Sat July 27, 2013 3:50 pm 

VinylGuy wrote:
harmless wrote:

Pretty much yes. Cameron is hideous.

Yeah. What a dick. He needs to be impeached or assassinated.

PostPosted: Sat July 27, 2013 3:58 pm 
Future Drummer

Read from the bottom up and thought you were talking about matt for a second :lol:

PostPosted: Sat July 27, 2013 3:59 pm 

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat July 27, 2013 5:23 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Birds in Hell wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
In the wake of the two new (old) songs leaking, I've been inspired to work on a retracking of Riot Act that encompasses the three officially released b-sides from the sessions (Down, Undone, Other Side.)

It made me realise both that I like all of the songs from the record a whole lot more than I often realise (not that I ever thought they were bad, mind you) and how much I don't really care for the flow of the official tracklisting.

It hasn't been an easy task, I'm currently on my fourth (and hopefully final) revision. Once I've given this one a few spins I'll decide whether it's as good as I think it can be or if it needs some further alteration.

Such a great, creative session for the band; directionless in the most pleasant way.

1. Arc
2. Love Boat Captain
3. Half Full
4. Save You
5. Cropduster
6. Down
7. Ghost
8. I Am Mine
9. Thumbing My Way
10. Green Disease
11. Can't Keep
12. Help Help
13. Get Right
14. Other Side
15. You Are
16. Undone
17. Bushleaguer
18. All or None

Much better.

If you want to try this at home, I strongly recommend using the original b-side versions of Down, Undone and Other Side. I can't recall all of the differences but Down certainly has some new guitar work and the original mixes fit more comfortably with the sonic character of the other Riot Act material.

I listened to this this morning, and I appreciate that you worked out a tracklist that not only works musically but also has a lyrical and thematic flow to it. "It's already been sung" into "it's been said before", "there's an upside to down" into "down, fall by the wayside...", "won't let the darkness swallow me" into "bring it on 'cause I'm no victim", "i can't hold on, the weight you bear" into "you are a tower of strength", "this broken wheel is coming undone" into "the world has come undone", the bitterness of Bushleaguer leading to the despondency of "All or None". I don't know if it was all intentional or if it's my brain looking for patterns, but I enjoyed that.

PostPosted: Sat July 27, 2013 6:45 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

theplatypus wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
In the wake of the two new (old) songs leaking, I've been inspired to work on a retracking of Riot Act that encompasses the three officially released b-sides from the sessions (Down, Undone, Other Side.)

It made me realise both that I like all of the songs from the record a whole lot more than I often realise (not that I ever thought they were bad, mind you) and how much I don't really care for the flow of the official tracklisting.

It hasn't been an easy task, I'm currently on my fourth (and hopefully final) revision. Once I've given this one a few spins I'll decide whether it's as good as I think it can be or if it needs some further alteration.

Such a great, creative session for the band; directionless in the most pleasant way.

1. Arc
2. Love Boat Captain
3. Half Full
4. Save You
5. Cropduster
6. Down
7. Ghost
8. I Am Mine
9. Thumbing My Way
10. Green Disease
11. Can't Keep
12. Help Help
13. Get Right
14. Other Side
15. You Are
16. Undone
17. Bushleaguer
18. All or None

Much better.

If you want to try this at home, I strongly recommend using the original b-side versions of Down, Undone and Other Side. I can't recall all of the differences but Down certainly has some new guitar work and the original mixes fit more comfortably with the sonic character of the other Riot Act material.

I listened to this this morning, and I appreciate that you worked out a tracklist that not only works musically but also has a lyrical and thematic flow to it. "It's already been sung" into "it's been said before", "there's an upside to down" into "down, fall by the wayside...", "won't let the darkness swallow me" into "bring it on 'cause I'm no victim", "i can't hold on, the weight you bear" into "you are a tower of strength", "this broken wheel is coming undone" into "the world has come undone", the bitterness of Bushleaguer leading to the despondency of "All or None". I don't know if it was all intentional or if it's my brain looking for patterns, but I enjoyed that.

Well, I have no choice now... I must really listen to this mix right away. I've never passed up an opportunity to try out a new RA or Binaural remix and I'm not about to begin now.

PostPosted: Sat July 27, 2013 10:08 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

theplatypus wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

1. Arc
2. Love Boat Captain
3. Half Full
4. Save You
5. Cropduster
6. Down
7. Ghost
8. I Am Mine
9. Thumbing My Way
10. Green Disease
11. Can't Keep
12. Help Help
13. Get Right
14. Other Side
15. You Are
16. Undone
17. Bushleaguer
18. All or None

Much better.

It wasn't deliberate but that's great, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Through the process of trying out different tracklistings I think it's definitely possible that those thematic concerns played a subconscious role in my decision making.

PostPosted: Mon September 02, 2013 3:04 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Enjoying the percussion and those little guitar arrangements from Stone in this one.

Its a classy song.

PostPosted: Fri December 02, 2016 6:42 pm 
The Master

I just came up with a re-tracking I'm gonna take for a spin. I lost two songs that I hate (IAM and TMW), and threesongs that I like well enough, but sort of kill the momentum for me (Green Disease, Bu$hleaguer, Arc). Added the three outtakes where it made the most sense.

Can't Keep
Save You
Love Boat Captain
Cropduster
Ghost
You Are
Undone
Get Right
Help Help
Other Side
1/2 Full
Down
All or None

PostPosted: Fri December 02, 2016 9:41 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
I just came up with a re-tracking I'm gonna take for a spin. I lost two songs that I hate (IAM and TMW), and threesongs that I like well enough, but sort of kill the momentum for me (Green Disease, Bu$hleaguer, Arc). Added the three outtakes where it made the most sense.

Can't Keep
Save You
Love Boat Captain
Cropduster
Ghost
You Are
Undone
Get Right
Help Help
Other Side
1/2 Full
Down
All or None

This is a fun set. But any version of RA without I Am Mine, Thumbing My Way and Green Disease just isn't my cup of tea. Figure out how to put those guys back in there and I'll be more inclined to listen to this mix. Actually, I don't like it without the other two either.

PostPosted: Fri December 02, 2016 9:42 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

The last time I listened to this (about a week and a half before I went on vacation) I had this thought for the first time: fuck, yeah, this thing might be better than Ten.

PostPosted: Sat December 03, 2016 3:11 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Think I'm gonna try out Speeno's mix from 3 years ago. Good bump. :D

PostPosted: Sat December 03, 2016 3:19 am 
Rank This Poster

Just started playing Riot Act, then opened up RM to find this album thread at the top of the threads.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 928 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 47  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam