The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 928 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 47  Next

Rate Riot Act
5 Stars: A top tier album 29%  29%  [ 40 ]
4 Stars: A very good album 48%  48%  [ 67 ]
3 Stars: Average 19%  19%  [ 26 ]
2: Stars: I expect more 4%  4%  [ 6 ]
1 Star: Embarrassing 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 140
 Post subject: Re: Riot Act: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Fri November 17, 2017 12:18 am 
10Club Complaint Department

swan wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
swan wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
swan wrote:
The lyrics aren't much to write home about, but You Are is still one of the coolest songs they've ever done.

Let Cameron Write!

Also this album has aged really well on the whole. Probably the last breath of their prime, tbh.

On record, yes. That ST tour was pretty awesome, though.

Very true. Glad 06 was last tour I followed for multiple shows.

ST the album isn't all that bad either. There are some missteps and I don't like it as much as RA, but it's a pretty solid album despite the way it sounds. 2006 is probably the last year I REALLY loved them. I mean, I still do, but it's not the same.

Exactly my situation as well

Ditto

PostPosted: Fri November 17, 2017 2:47 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

I absolutely love this album. It's such a unique album in the context of their entire catalog. I feel like it produces more of a mood than a general response. Vs, Vitalogy and Yield, for example, illicit more of a direct reaction to the music, but albums like Binaural and Riot Act just set a mood and allow for space to feel something different than the other albums have to offer. And for me, a song like Cropduster is absolute PJ perfection. Everything about that song is wonderful.

PostPosted: Fri November 17, 2017 2:58 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I loved it when it came out, then i felt it was a half baked album specially for Eddie´s delivery. Nowadays i feel so grateful for his performance, it add a lot more layers to all he does in PJ.
And yes, its one of my favorites these days.

PostPosted: Fri November 17, 2017 3:08 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

It has aged really well for me. And, it is likely the PJ album I've reached for the most in the past 5 years.

PostPosted: Fri November 17, 2017 3:13 pm 
The Master

This is my dad's favorite PJ album.

PostPosted: Fri November 17, 2017 3:31 pm 
Future Drummer

Im fairly sure the reason diehards like this and Binaural is because they've heard the good albums so many times they've become numb to them

PostPosted: Fri November 17, 2017 3:34 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

mikejasond wrote:
Im fairly sure the reason diehards like this and Binaural is because they've heard the good albums so many times they've become numb to them

So you're saying we've heard Riot Act and Binaural so many times that we've become numb to how good they are and that's why we like them so much?

PostPosted: Fri November 17, 2017 3:36 pm 
The Master

mikejasond wrote:

Stop it.

PostPosted: Fri November 17, 2017 3:43 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

mikejasond wrote:

When they came out everyone hated them. With fury. Specially Binaural. So yeah, no.

PostPosted: Fri November 17, 2017 3:50 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

VinylGuy wrote:
mikejasond wrote:

When they came out everyone hated them. With fury. Specially Binaural. So yeah, no.

I didn't hate Binaural when it came out. I was underwhelmed by it, I admit. It took a long time for that record to turn around on me. But I said when it came out, "it might be the 'worst' PJ album it's still better than most of the other records I'v heard this year."

Riot Act, though. That was love at first listen. It's been one of my favorites since day one. I recently moved it from it's long time #3 spot up to the #2 Pearl Jam album, though.

PostPosted: Fri November 17, 2017 3:51 pm 
The Master

I fucking loved Binaural and Riot Act at first listen. Right in my PJ wheelhouse and gave me everything I needed.

PostPosted: Fri November 17, 2017 4:03 pm 
The Master

Rio Act hit me at the perfect time in my life.

I was in high school, depressed, and feeling alienated. A liberal in a very small conservative town. Two of my friends/classmates were killed in a car accident 5-6 months before the album's release. I had just broken up with my first crush/girlfriend. College, and the dream/desire to escape and meet new people and try new things seemed so far away from me at that point.

Music provided a means to escape. Pearl Jam especially helped me connect and engage with the larger world, both politically and musically.

Riot Act really captured all of these feelings and more, tapping into aspects of the world and my own self that I hadn't even considered exploring. It can be a very cynical/somber album, but like the best of the band's work, there is hope.

Last edited by Monkey_Driven on Fri November 17, 2017 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri November 17, 2017 4:05 pm 
Future Drummer

VinylGuy wrote:
mikejasond wrote:

So....yes? They hated them but then they got so bored of all the good albums, they began to like Binaural and Riot Act because it was fresh since they had worn out all the good material

PostPosted: Fri November 17, 2017 4:08 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

mikejasond wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
mikejasond wrote:

So....yes? They hated them but then they got so bored of all the good albums, they began to like Binaural and Riot Act because it was fresh since they had worn out all the good material

So you think the "diehards" will have similar awakenings with Backspacer and Lightning Bolt then?

PostPosted: Fri November 17, 2017 4:18 pm 
The Master

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Rio Act hit me at the perfect time in my life.

I was in high school, depressed, and feeling alienated. A liberal in a very small conservative town. Two of my friends/classmates were killed in a car accident 5-6 months before the album's release. I had just broken up with my first crush/girlfriend. College, and the dream/desire to escape and meet new people and try new things seemed so far away from me at that point.

Music provided a means to escape. Pearl Jam especially helped me connect and engage with the larger world, both politically and musically.

Riot Act really captured all of these feelings and more, tapping into aspects of the world and my own self that I hadn't even considered exploring. It can be a very cynical/somber album but like the best of the band's work, there is hope.

:thumbsup: Nice post MD.

PostPosted: Fri November 17, 2017 6:11 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

mikejasond wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
mikejasond wrote:

You just trolling now? Cuz this is one hell of a hot take.

PostPosted: Fri November 17, 2017 6:19 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I adore Binaural when it came out. Probably my favorite PJ album in a first listen since Vs. RA seemed more of a crowed pleasure at the time with songs like I Am Mine or Save You. I liked it alright but i guess im feeling it more these days.

Gosh, Binaural is awesome.

PostPosted: Fri November 17, 2017 9:27 pm 
Future Drummer

Only the poser retards disliked "Binaural" when it first came out. Especially the first 3 songs. It's like retard kryptonite.

PostPosted: Sat November 18, 2017 3:50 am 
Rank This Poster

mikejasond wrote:

Yea, no. Both of these have been favorites of mine since I first heard them. I've only been listening to PJ since 2006.

PostPosted: Sat November 18, 2017 7:12 am 
tl;dr

mikejasond wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
mikejasond wrote:

yea its like when tou've listened toGNR so much that you hear Welcome to the Jungle and you're like ehhhhhh but then you listen to Get In the Ring and you're like O_O

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 928 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 47  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam