The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 928 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 47  Next

Rate Riot Act
5 Stars: A top tier album 29%  29%  [ 40 ]
4 Stars: A very good album 48%  48%  [ 67 ]
3 Stars: Average 19%  19%  [ 26 ]
2: Stars: I expect more 4%  4%  [ 6 ]
1 Star: Embarrassing 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 140
 Post subject: Re: Riot Act: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Fri July 26, 2013 7:29 pm 
Rank This Poster

stip wrote:
i am mine is the best song on this record and anyone who prefers all or none should feel bad

This post is a hopeless situation.

PostPosted: Fri July 26, 2013 7:30 pm 
Rank This Poster

stip wrote:
i am mine is the best song on this record and anyone who prefers all or none should feel bad eat a bowl of dicks

FTFY

PostPosted: Fri July 26, 2013 7:32 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I Am Mine is one of their best songs from all eras.

PostPosted: Fri July 26, 2013 7:42 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

VinylGuy wrote:

:haha: :haha: :haha:

PostPosted: Fri July 26, 2013 8:52 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

EJ wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

I wont laugh becuz everyone likes what they like, their is no right answer to what are PJs best songs...but IMO I Am Mine is very dull..eddie sounds like he was half asleep while recording it, very bad choice for a first single...

PostPosted: Fri July 26, 2013 8:52 pm 
Rank This Poster

melonhead4 wrote:
EJ wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

I wont laugh becuz everyone likes what they like, their is no right answer to what are PJs best songs...but IMO I Am Mine is very dull..eddie sounds like he was half asleep while recording it, very bad choice for a first single...

treehugger

PostPosted: Fri July 26, 2013 8:53 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I Am Mine is so, so good. I just love the goddamn right out of it.

PostPosted: Fri July 26, 2013 8:55 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

melonhead4 wrote:
EJ wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

i love how eddie sounds here...they cant translate how good this song is live though.The best performance might be bridge benefit 2001...but thats about it.

PostPosted: Fri July 26, 2013 8:57 pm 
Commissioner

VinylGuy wrote:
i love how eddie sounds here...they cant translate how good this song is live though.The best performance might be bridge benefit 2001...but thats about it.

I was really surprised when this didn't become a more engaging song live. I remember going into the 2003 tour expecting it to be a show-stopper (in a good way), and it just never made it there. The chorus never felt as immense live as it does on the record.

PostPosted: Fri July 26, 2013 8:58 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

VinylGuy wrote:
melonhead4 wrote:
EJ wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

I think it worked best as an Ed solo song. There's something just neutered about that full band studio version.

PostPosted: Fri July 26, 2013 8:59 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Lament wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

I was really surprised when this didn't become a more engaging song live. I remember going into the 2003 tour expecting it to be a show-stopper (in a good way), and it just never made it there. The chorus never felt as immense live as it does on the record.

Yeah, me too..it was supposed to be an anthem.... a really cool moment, and the song live it just doesnt build to that.

PostPosted: Fri July 26, 2013 10:42 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
bluestate wrote:
Where is there a b-side version of Undone? That wasn't released until LD.

Nope, it was released as a b-side to I Am Mine internationally (Australia, UK, Europe).

There's clear differences between the original version and the later remix on Lost Dogs.

There was a b-side version of Other Side too?

It was on the b-side of the Save You single and some versions of Love Boat Captain but I haven't compared it side-by-side to the Lost Dogs cut to see if they used a new version/mix like they did the other two.

PostPosted: Fri July 26, 2013 11:25 pm 
The worst

Birds in Hell wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
bluestate wrote:

Nope, it was released as a b-side to I Am Mine internationally (Australia, UK, Europe).

There's clear differences between the original version and the later remix on Lost Dogs.

It was on the b-side of the Save You single and some versions of Love Boat Captain but I haven't compared it side-by-side to the Lost Dogs cut to see if they used a new version/mix like they did the other two.

I don't think they did but then again I am not a huge fan of the song and may not pick up on differences. Hell, I had to learn about down from you

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sat July 27, 2013 1:57 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

stip wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
bluestate wrote:

I don't think they did but then again I am not a huge fan of the song and may not pick up on differences. Hell, I had to learn about down from you

I'm actually a really big fan of Jeff's version (the one with him on vocals). Ed' particular emphasis and phrasing is more dynamic. But I really love Jeff's take. Really different shade of the same track.

PostPosted: Sat July 27, 2013 2:06 am 
"Supersonic sucks."

stip wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
bluestate wrote:

Just did a very brief comparison, they sound the same (from what sections I compared.)

Down is definitely a different mix, however. The Lost Dogs mix is a little more polished and seems to have the electric guitars higher in the mix compared to the original version.

PostPosted: Sat July 27, 2013 2:08 am 
"Supersonic sucks."

stip wrote:
Having said that riot act was already an overlong album to me, with a few too many mediocre songs. I'd rather see it smaller and have the b-sides replace weaker tracks. 18 songs would be exhausting for me

I find the original tracklisting quite a slog too, but I think it's attributable more to the uneven pacing than the songs themselves. 18 tracks is definitely a monster of a record but, on listening, it feels shorter than you expect it should (the exact opposite of the released tracklisting).

PostPosted: Sat July 27, 2013 2:40 am 
10Club Complaint Department

LetMeSleep wrote:
Riot Act
Can't Keep
Save You
LBC
Cropduster
Ghost
I Am Mine
TMWay
You Are
Get Right
Arc
Down
All Or None

Bushleaguer EP
Bushleaguer
Green Disease
Help Help
1/2 Full
Other Side
Undone

I love Riot Act until Get Right which is an okay track, as is Green Disease. But those two back to back and then into Help Help leaves me cold. Bushleaguer was okay on the first listen and it's one of those risky songs that is easily dated and ages an album. For that reason alone I would have pushed for a Bushleaguer EP/mini album. And GD, HH, 1/2F and Undone would have fitted that perfectly. I've thrown Otherside into that playlist as I really love that song and I think the vibe of it matches the rest of the 'ep'. also, the line about New York streets may be significant.

4 stars till GD so I'll give it 3 stars. But it was really nice to hear a few experiments like Help Help and Bushleaguer.

PostPosted: Sat July 27, 2013 3:43 am 
The worst

Birds in Hell wrote:
stip wrote:
Having said that riot act was already an overlong album to me, with a few too many mediocre songs. I'd rather see it smaller and have the b-sides replace weaker tracks. 18 songs would be exhausting for me

I find the original tracklisting quite a slog too, but I think it's attributable more to the uneven pacing than the songs themselves. 18 tracks is definitely a monster of a record but, on listening, it feels shorter than you expect it should (the exact opposite of the released tracklisting).

when i get home Ill try out your tracklisting and we shall see what we can see

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sat July 27, 2013 4:03 am 
"Supersonic sucks."

stip wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
stip wrote:

when i get home Ill try out your tracklisting and we shall see what we can see

Excellent!

PostPosted: Sat July 27, 2013 4:04 am 
tl;dr

It's nice to know that even when Stip has a two day-old baby he can still find time to listen to an extended version of a Pearl Jam album that he doesn't like.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 928 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 47  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam