The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 872 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Re: I Have Never Listened To The Avocado Album
PostPosted: Mon July 06, 2015 7:14 pm 
tl;dr

Django Butterworth wrote:
And I don't think McCready fails here, it was good enough to make the record.

This is dubious thinking here, Django.

PostPosted: Mon July 06, 2015 7:17 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Kevin Davis wrote:
And I don't think McCready fails here, it was good enough to make the record.

This is dubious thinking here, Django.

How so?

PostPosted: Mon July 06, 2015 7:22 pm 
tl;dr

Because of the implication that just because a song is on a record therefore means it's a successful piece of work (or "not a failure," if we're going to damn it with faint praise). There are a lot of terrible songs that get released to the public, I don't know what measure of "success" a song has achieved apart from mere existence by attaining this criteria.

PostPosted: Mon July 06, 2015 7:28 pm 

Kevin Davis wrote:
Because of the implication that just because a song is on a record therefore means it's a successful piece of work (or "not a failure," if we're going to damn it with faint praise). There are a lot of terrible songs that get released to the public, I don't know what measure of "success" a song has achieved apart from mere existence by attaining this criteria.

True, but what I am saying is that they had others to choose from and this is what made the record, so opinion of whether it's "good" or not aside, the band viewed it as successful and included it.

PostPosted: Mon July 06, 2015 7:29 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Kevin Davis wrote:

True, but what I am saying is that they had others to choose from and this is what made the record, so opinion of whether it's "good" or not aside, the band viewed it as successful and included it.

I wish they would have viewed Of The Earth as successful instead.

PostPosted: Mon July 06, 2015 7:31 pm 

I haven't heard a studio take of it, so I don't know.

PostPosted: Mon July 06, 2015 7:34 pm 
tl;dr

Kevin Davis wrote:

I suppose there's no denying the objective fact that the band included it on the record, but if this is your measure of success then I think you and everyone else are talking about two completely different things.

PostPosted: Mon July 06, 2015 7:38 pm 
The worst

Since Mike is a friend to everyone in the band, and they witnessed his struggles and everything else, I'm sure the guys in the band thought the song was far more impactful then it actually ended up being.

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon July 06, 2015 7:41 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I remember reading a review of the album before it was released by some guy who was connected with Easy Street Records or something. He said Inside Job might possibly be the best song the band has ever created to that point.

PostPosted: Mon July 06, 2015 7:48 pm 
tl;dr

Stip: That's reasonable, and I am sympathetic to everything you say a couple pages back about observing a little understanding when someone is working outside his element. But I also observe a difference between granting Mike that leeway as a person and granting his song the same leeway as a consumer of music -- if I am out to dinner at my favorite restaurant, I am not going to keep quiet about my burnt steak just because the cook is still in training. At some point you have to just let all the baggage go and decide whether something is up to snuff.

Sometimes there is an endearing underdog quality when the "other guys" in the band -- any band -- takes the reins on a song of their own, but I just don't get that with "Inside Job." It's a dud in every sense.

Last edited by Kevin Davis on Mon July 06, 2015 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon July 06, 2015 7:49 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

what was that really great mike song that was on the xmas single a few years back? Tuning Mist or Turning Mist?

PostPosted: Mon July 06, 2015 7:51 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
what was that really great mike song that was on the xmas single a few years back? Tuning Mist or Turning Mist?

PostPosted: Mon July 06, 2015 7:53 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

so great

PostPosted: Mon July 06, 2015 7:55 pm 
The worst

Kevin Davis wrote:
Stip: That's reasonable, and I am sympathetic to everything you say a couple pages back about observing a little understanding when someone is working outside his element. But I also observe a difference between granting Mike that leeway as a person and granting his song the same leeway as a consumer of music -- if I am out to dinner at my favorite restaurant, I am not going to keep quiet about my burnt steak just because the cook is still in training. At some point you have to just let all the baggage go and decide whether something is up to snuff.

Sometimes there is an endearing underdog quality when the "other guys" in the band -- any band -- takes the reins on a song of their own, but I just don't get that with "Inside Job." It's a dud in every sense.

I don't think it's a good song, just so I'm clear. I want to root for it, and the backstory makes it hard for me to dislike it (and there are elements that are pretty decent--it's just that the song is overlong and the moments I like are too minor to stand out in what so desperately wants to be a major song), but I don't think it's well done, and certainly doesn't deserve to make the album on its merits.

So the steak sucks, but I don't know that I'd go and complain to the owner about it.

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon July 06, 2015 8:02 pm 

I guess to me there are a lot of other songs I'd rather have omitted from records other than Inside Job.

I don't think it's nearly as bad as it's made out to be.

PostPosted: Mon July 06, 2015 8:03 pm 
The worst

Mike's weak songs tend to not have enough of a personality for me to muster the energy to really dislike them.

He/Him/His

Poster of the Year

Well, how you choose to feel is how you are.

Misplaced My Sponge

stip wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

I don't think it's a good song, just so I'm clear. I want to root for it, and the backstory makes it hard for me to dislike it (and there are elements that are pretty decent--it's just that the song is overlong and the moments I like are too minor to stand out in what so desperately wants to be a major song), but I don't think it's well done, and certainly doesn't deserve to make the album on its merits.

So the steak sucks, but I don't know that I'd go and complain to the owner about it.

When I met Mike, I didn't tell him I thought Inside Job sucks.

PostPosted: Mon July 06, 2015 8:04 pm 
The worst

I guess to me there are a lot of other songs I'd rather have omitted from records other than Inside Job.

I don't think it's nearly as bad as it's made out to be.

I'd rather listen to Inside Job than Unemployable, and possibly gone and/or big wave.

But I REALLY wish Cold Confession had made the record instead of one of those.

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon July 06, 2015 8:04 pm 
The worst

darth_vedder wrote:
stip wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

When I met Mike, I didn't tell him I thought Inside Job sucks.

:lol:

He/Him/His

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 872 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 44  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam