The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1982 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 100  Next

Everyone loves Backspacer, but how much?
5 Stars: 4%  4%  [ 6 ]
4 Stars: 18%  18%  [ 29 ]
3 Stars: 47%  47%  [ 74 ]
2 Stars: 18%  18%  [ 29 ]
1 Star: 13%  13%  [ 20 ]
Total votes : 158
 Post subject: Re: Backspacer: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Sun March 10, 2013 1:59 pm 
The worst

mastaflatch wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
mastaflatch wrote:
funny thing, guys, is that i think that The Fixer is a lot better than i thought.

I don't know why it gets a bad rap, its good

i love The Fixer. I think most of PJ fans are pretty uptight.

i know why i had a bad reaction to it initailly; the 80s overtones, the easy ''yeah yeah yeah'''s and, in fact, jsut the way it sounds atypical to PJ's way of building songs but now i take it as a successful experiment in the pop-rock area. making a whole album with that goal in mind is another thing though. this is why Backspacer mostly sucks.

i wonder if the overly processed and unnecessary uh huh huh huh's really throw people off the rest of the song. The yeah yeah yeah chorus is catchy and uplifting and fits the song well, the music is really good, ed sounds good. The Fixer is a quality song.

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun March 10, 2013 2:00 pm 
The worst

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
stip wrote:
matt and jeff are very strong on this whole album. The vocal melodies are also top notch throughout, for the most part.

I do love the vocal melodies, ed did great even though his voice isn't great

it was nice to see him use craft to account for a decline in his raw talent, which is what you'd want to see an aging artist do.

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun March 10, 2013 2:24 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

stip wrote:
i wonder if the overly processed and unnecessary uh huh huh huh's really throw people off the rest of the song. The yeah yeah yeah chorus is catchy and uplifting and fits the song well, the music is really good, ed sounds good. The Fixer is a quality song.

I don't think that's the case for me, at least. To me, it sounds like a transparent (and botched) attempt at a pop radio hit-- like they deliberately set out to write something that would go well with a game highlight montage on ESPN. The whole thing feels artificial and hackneyed, from the lyrics all the way down to that tacky bridge. And yes, it's all glossy and shimmery and bright in a way that doesn't play to (what I feel are) this band's strengths. I don't think it's much 'quality'.

PostPosted: Sun March 10, 2013 4:41 pm 
Rank This Poster

In other words it's awful.

PostPosted: Sun March 10, 2013 6:35 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

i love The Fixer...i dont care if they tried to make a hit or whatever....is a great song.

PostPosted: Sun March 10, 2013 6:54 pm 
The worst

theplatypus wrote:
stip wrote:

I don't think that's the case for me, at least. To me, it sounds like a transparent (and botched) attempt at a pop radio hit-- like they deliberately set out to write something that would go well with a game highlight montage on ESPN. The whole thing feels artificial and hackneyed, from the lyrics all the way down to that tacky bridge. And yes, it's all glossy and shimmery and bright in a way that doesn't play to (what I feel are) this band's strengths. I don't think it's much 'quality'.

i agree it doesn't play to the band's strengths, but in this case I think it was successful. I don't know that I'd want to see more of it, since glossy pj is usually the stuff I don't like, but here it works. For me, anyway

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun March 10, 2013 6:58 pm 
Rank This Poster

it was successful, in that eddie vedder wanted to write a lame pop song that would get radio play. now go back to writing cool rock n roll songs

PostPosted: Sun March 10, 2013 8:56 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

is wrong to think that ,musically at least, Johnny Guitar sounds a little bit like something that could have been on Vs?

PostPosted: Sun March 10, 2013 11:31 pm 
Broken Tamborine

It's an album that I had no desire to ever listen to after I saw them tour it, therefore it has no staying power whatsoever.

PostPosted: Fri March 15, 2013 10:34 pm 
Broken Tamborine

If you remove Unthought Known it's very passable.

PostPosted: Sat March 16, 2013 2:50 am 
The worst

VinylGuy wrote:
is wrong to think that ,musically at least, Johnny Guitar sounds a little bit like something that could have been on Vs?

In what way do you hear that?

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sat March 16, 2013 3:03 am 
jeeeesus relax already

stip wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

In what way do you hear that?

well im not sure, but the guitars sound funky enough, kinda remind me of Dissident or Glorified G..and the vocal melody too specially at the end, Ed kinda losen up a little bit...hate the fade out though,

PostPosted: Sat March 16, 2013 3:11 am 
AnalLog

OmegaprimeVKM wrote:
If you remove Unthought Known it's very passable.

that song is far from being the main problem on this album. it's symptomatic of what's wrong in there but it's hardly a clunker. (imo)

PostPosted: Sat March 16, 2013 11:34 am 
The worst

UK is a decent song with a few really nice moments

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sat March 16, 2013 3:25 pm 
AnalLog

Birds in Hell wrote:
Gonna See My Friend is the only song on Backspacer I enjoy a lot, but it's crying out for rawer production. The guitars sound so tame and piecemeal; like most of the record, it doesn't sound like an organic performance (and I think that approach works best for these guys.)

Agreed. It's the only song on Backspacer I find myself coming back to again and again. It's the only song on the album that I get into when I hear it on bootlegs (or don't get into...see below).

daft twat wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
my second fave from backspacer is gonna see my friend, and while i can understand why force of nature isn't played live a lot, i can't understand why gsmf isn't a staple.

Ever heard a live version? Most of them are cringe-inducing because Ed can't sing it most nights (which is probably also why they don't play "Breakerfall" much). The last version I heard was from South America and he didn't even scream most of it...he spent the entire song avoiding the high notes.

I am proud to have heard the best live version of "Gonna See My Friend" at Ridgefield '09. They were ON that night and that song ruled as an opener.

PostPosted: Sat March 16, 2013 5:02 pm 
The worst

I have heard very few live versions of any of these songs, but FoN always seemed like one that would be easy to sing. What do you suppose the problem is? What makes that one a challenge for him?

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sat March 16, 2013 5:07 pm 
Rank This Poster

i gave it 2 stars b/c "the end" is pretty great.

PostPosted: Sat March 16, 2013 6:21 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

I like The Fixer. I dig the 'ohh wowo wowo'....I have no idea how to write that out. Reminds me of The Police that part.

PostPosted: Sat March 16, 2013 6:54 pm 
The worst

I just love this album. I couldn't tell you where it will stack up years from now (and it needs to not be the 'new' one and songs need time to age before I can be sure, but it is entirely possible when all is said and done this will be my 4th (probably where I rank it now) or even 3rd favorite Pearl Jam record. I can't even imagine them ever producing an album at this point I like more than Ten or Vitalogy but this still remains, 3 and a half years after the fact, the pearl jam album I listen to the most these days.

GSMF, Johnny Guitar, The Fixer, Just Breathe, Force of Nature, and The End are all just below the very top tier of pearl jam songs for me (I might even put Force of Nature in there). There are days I think Got Some is just as good as those songs. While Unthought Known and Amongst the Waves are not great, there are parts of both songs I love (the verses in Amongst the Waves, which I think are top notch, and the way UK starts to build after the first two verses, the gems and rhinestones verse, the 'no one's rival' verse. I was not super enamored with the demo of speed of sound (although I think it's probably better) but I think there is a good song underneath an overly busy presentation. Really supersonic is the only song I could care less about.

4-5 Star songs on every album

Vitalogy: 10/10 (every one of the formal 'songs')
Ten: 9/11 (everything but deep and release)

Vs 6/12: go, animal, daughter, rearview mirror, small town, indifference
No Code: 5/13 (hail hail, in my tree, red mosquito, present tense, who you are--that's a new one for me. it's grown on me in the last few years)
Yield: 4/13 (Brain of J, Given To Fly, Wishlist, Do the Evolution)--some days I'd put ATY in there
Binaural: 5/13 (NAIS, Insignificance, Grievance, Rival, Parting Ways)--but the songs I don't care for on this album drag it down
Riot Act: 3/15 (Can't Keep, Save You, I am Mine)
S/T: 5/13 (Life Wasted, WWS, Comatose, Parachutes, Come Back)
Backspacer: (6/11): GSMF, Fixer, Johnny Guitar, Just Breathe, Force of Nature, The End)

Yeah, although the high spots on Yield, Vs, and S/T are higher for me than the high spots on Backspacer, in terms of how many songs I just really love listening to Backspacer is really high up there.

I went through my 'pearl jam is in decline' phase from 1996-2006. These last 7 years have been like a second honeymoon. I just wish they were making more music.

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sat March 16, 2013 10:30 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

stip wrote:
I just love this album. I couldn't tell you where it will stack up years from now (and it needs to not be the 'new' one and songs need time to age before I can be sure, but it is entirely possible when all is said and done this will be my 4th (probably where I rank it now) or even 3rd favorite Pearl Jam record. I can't even imagine them ever producing an album at this point I like more than Ten or Vitalogy but this still remains, 3 and a half years after the fact, the pearl jam album I listen to the most these days.

GSMF, Johnny Guitar, The Fixer, Just Breathe, Force of Nature, and The End are all just below the very top tier of pearl jam songs for me (I might even put Force of Nature in there). There are days I think Got Some is just as good as those songs. While Unthought Known and Amongst the Waves are not great, there are parts of both songs I love (the verses in Amongst the Waves, which I think are top notch, and the way UK starts to build after the first two verses, the gems and rhinestones verse, the 'no one's rival' verse. I was not super enamored with the demo of speed of sound (although I think it's probably better) but I think there is a good song underneath an overly busy presentation. Really supersonic is the only song I could care less about.

4-5 Star songs on every album

Vitalogy: 10/10 (every one of the formal 'songs')
Ten: 9/11 (everything but deep and release)

Vs 6/12: go, animal, daughter, rearview mirror, small town, indifference
No Code: 5/13 (hail hail, in my tree, red mosquito, present tense, who you are--that's a new one for me. it's grown on me in the last few years)
Yield: 4/13 (Brain of J, Given To Fly, Wishlist, Do the Evolution)--some days I'd put ATY in there
Binaural: 5/13 (NAIS, Insignificance, Grievance, Rival, Parting Ways)--but the songs I don't care for on this album drag it down
Riot Act: 3/15 (Can't Keep, Save You, I am Mine)
S/T: 5/13 (Life Wasted, WWS, Comatose, Parachutes, Come Back)
Backspacer: (6/11): GSMF, Fixer, Johnny Guitar, Just Breathe, Force of Nature, The End)

Yeah, although the high spots on Yield, Vs, and S/T are higher for me than the high spots on Backspacer, in terms of how many songs I just really love listening to Backspacer is really high up there.

I went through my 'pearl jam is in decline' phase from 1996-2006. These last 7 years have been like a second honeymoon. I just wish they were making more music.

I pretty much agree with your thoughts on Backspacer..is such a unique and different album yet its 100% pearl jam.
It seems they took their idea of rocking out with a different approach than the previous one, but there were hints of this sound in avocado too ( Unemployable).
What is impossible for me is just to think this one can be their third best record..there is no way this record is better than Vs or Yield or Binaural, just to name a few.

I agree that is way more focused than RA.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1982 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 100  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam