The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1983 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100  Next

Everyone loves Backspacer, but how much?
5 Stars: 4%  4%  [ 6 ]
4 Stars: 18%  18%  [ 30 ]
3 Stars: 47%  47%  [ 77 ]
2 Stars: 19%  19%  [ 31 ]
1 Star: 12%  12%  [ 20 ]
Total votes : 164
 Post subject: Re: Backspacer: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Wed February 28, 2024 1:41 pm 
AnalLog

VinylGuy wrote:
i mean live? maybe...is still a very boring song to me...but the studio version better than ATW? no way

I know first-blush on AtW for many was maybe "streamlined, dumbed-down anthem bait", but, I can't help it.
Grew up on a lot of "dumb" 70s rock (kinda like they did, I guess), so when that quick, harmonizing guitar bit with Mike & Stone in unison comes on, I can't help the involuntary visceral reaction.

One of my favorite moments on the record.

We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…

PostPosted: Wed February 28, 2024 5:25 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

VinylGuy wrote:
stip wrote:
ive got amongst the waves -> unthought known as the sun starts to rise. that’s nice

these are both total pearl jam comfort food songs

i used to like UK, specially when the album came out. I also got it live in the 2009 tour. With time it transformed into a song i cant stand. Not sure why, but i hear the mute palm guitar thing and i already hate it.

Inverse situation with Atw...when it came out, i didnt liked it, i was expecting something heavier based on early reports about a soaring epic song or something....and it felt flat. But with time, i got to hear the groove of the songs and now i really like it.

Wish the guitar tones were more interesting though.
ATW lacks a backbone, i.e. a riff, to go from “what was that” to an all time great

PostPosted: Wed February 28, 2024 5:28 pm 
The Master

Remove UT and ATW and this album is stellar but oh man those two are probably my least favorite PJ songs of all time.

PostPosted: Wed February 28, 2024 5:34 pm 
Rank This Poster

I really love The End when Ed plays it live, but not so much the studio version.

PostPosted: Wed February 28, 2024 5:40 pm 
AnalLog

Strat wrote:
Remove UT and ATW and this album is stellar but oh man those two are probably my least favorite PJ songs of all time.

We diverge on AtW, but, Unthought Known has never been one of my favorites, either.

I can appreciate the way it builds, especially when I'm hearing it live in the room, but, they're aspiring to some U2/Coldplay style grand sweeping epic here that I don't feel has enough song behind it to reach the heights they're grasping for;
ironically, how many would also describe AtW.

The title is an absolute nonsense as well, imo.

We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…

PostPosted: Wed February 28, 2024 6:35 pm 
The worst

I like Unthought Known, and there are moments within it I love, but you capture why the overall song doesn't quite hit what it's aiming at. I do think Lightning Bolt gets there. It may be (imo) the most successful version of this type of song they've done since Yield

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed February 28, 2024 6:55 pm 
She / Her

oneway23 wrote:
Strat wrote:

We diverge on AtW, but, Unthought Known has never been one of my favorites, either.

I can appreciate the way it builds, especially when I'm hearing it live in the room, but, they're aspiring to some U2/Coldplay style grand sweeping epic here that I don't feel has enough song behind it to reach the heights they're grasping for;
ironically, how many would also describe AtW.

The title is an absolute nonsense as well, imo.

the title is an actual term that has a definition, but I haven't given much thought to how it relates to the song

PostPosted: Wed February 28, 2024 7:06 pm 
AnalLog

stip wrote:
I like Unthought Known, and there are moments within it I love, but you capture why the overall song doesn't quite hit what it's aiming at. I do think Lightning Bolt gets there. It may be (imo) the most successful version of this type of song they've done since Yield

I completely agree, on both counts. I know it's not a favorite around here, but, I feel like LB was the final refinement of a song they had been working towards for at least two albums prior.

I'm also partial towards the lyrics, as well. Maybe not the most clever in the catalog, but, I do seem to have have a particular affinity towards Ed's post middle-age relationship material.
Things like LB & FoN really speak to me in a particular way that really highlights how Ed's focus and priorities as an individual have changed and matured in accordance with how my own relationship & priorities have shifted in certain ways over the years.

Last edited by oneway23 on Wed February 28, 2024 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed February 28, 2024 7:10 pm 
She / Her

I like how the LB production leans into "fuck it, this is a 90210-esque TV theme tune now"; I think that both LB and Backspacer work best when they abandon themselves to how camp they are without shame

PostPosted: Wed February 28, 2024 7:22 pm 
AnalLog

Ms Harmless wrote:
I like how the LB production leans into "fuck it, this is a 90210-esque TV theme tune now"; I think that both LB and Backspacer work best when they abandon themselves to how camp they are without shame

I'm usually a mess of contradictions, in general...I can simultaneously acknowledge the cheese, mock the cheese, and paradoxically, love the cheese, oftentimes in the same breath.
Middle-aged Ed was/is/continues to be a hokey mother fucker, let's be real.

I think I'm just appreciating it more these days and not hand-waving it so much.

PostPosted: Wed February 28, 2024 7:27 pm 
She / Her

oneway23 wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:

I'm usually a mess of contradictions, in general...I can simultaneously acknowledge the cheese, mock the cheese, and paradoxically, love the cheese, oftentimes in the same breath.
Middle-aged Ed was/is/continues to be a hokey mother fucker, let's be real.

I think I'm just appreciating it more these days and not hand-waving it so much.

oh absolutely 100%

PostPosted: Wed February 28, 2024 7:38 pm 
tl;dr

“Unthought Known” just needs more meat to it musically — to me it feels like a textbook example of a sketch that was extended into a song, offering little in the way of a tune, at least one that justifies such repetition. I don’t dislike it, but it is misplaced as a centerpiece, and being paired with the similarly midtempo, similarly musically awkward “Amongst the Waves” does neither song any favors.

But, it was clearly a special song to the band, or at least to Ed. They played it on SNL, they played it (I think) in Berlin to remember the Roskilde victims, and the video for that performance was shared officially by the band in a few different places. It was one of the few Backspacer tunes that took up regular setlist real estate during that tour (I am not sure how it has fared since); most of the rest never really got developed beyond a handful of performances.

I do really like the lyric “dream the dreams of other men/you will be no one’s rival.”

Last edited by Kevin Davis on Wed February 28, 2024 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed February 28, 2024 7:43 pm 
The worst

Kevin Davis wrote:
“Unthought Known” just needs more meat to it musically — to me it feels like a textbook example of a sketch that was extended into a song, offering little in the way of a tune, at least one that justifies such repetition. I don’t dislike it, but it is misplaced as a centerpiece, and being paired with the similarly midtempo, similarly musically awkward “Amongst the Waves” does neither song any favors.

But, it was clearly a special song to the band, or at least to Ed. They played it on SNL, they played it (I think) in Berlin to remember the Roskilde victims, and the video for that performance was shared officially bt the band in a few different places. It was one of the few Backspacer tunes that took up regular setlist real estate during that tour (I am not sure how it has fared since); most of the rest never really got developed beyond a handful of performances.

I do really like the lyric “dream the dreams of other men/you will be no one’s rival.”

same - and the gems and rhinestones lyric. But Unthought Known does feel like a sketch - that's the right word. It was an Eddie solo track before Backspacer and there's not very much added.

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed February 28, 2024 7:46 pm 
AnalLog

Unthought Known is a top 5 song for me and has been for along time. I won't argue that it is one of their best, but it resonates with me on a deep level.

PostPosted: Wed February 28, 2024 7:54 pm 
She / Her

I kinda like songs that are made of minimalistic refrains and repetition; they can become almost mantraic, which goes with the spiritual nature of the song, but the arrangement could do with being "grander" somehow to offset that relative emptiness; I'm sure other bands have done it well, though I can't think of any off the top of my head; oh! yes I can: "Everything in Its Right Place" by Radiohead; it doesn't "sound like UK", but it similarly works with disjointed puzzle-piece lyrics that feel like poetic notes jotted down in the margin; in the hands of Ed they're like proverbs, and I've always enjoyed his lyrics in this style (Riot Act has a lot of them) but to circle back, the bright but thin musical aesthetic of Backspacer doesn't serve it as well as it could do

PostPosted: Wed February 28, 2024 7:56 pm 
AnalLog

Kevin Davis wrote:

But, it was clearly a special song to the band, or at least to Ed. They played it on SNL, they played it (I think) in Berlin to remember the Roskilde victims, and the video for that performance was shared officially by the band in a few different places. It was one of the few Backspacer tunes that took up regular setlist real estate during that tour (I am not sure how it has fared since); most of the rest never really got developed beyond a handful of performances.

As per usual, Kevin. You've managed to articulate what I was striving for with my point and expanded upon it with an eloquence that is unmatched...except by maybe stip. :)

Very much appreciate the conversation from all.

PostPosted: Wed February 28, 2024 8:02 pm 
She / Her

Ms Harmless wrote:
I kinda like songs that are made of minimalistic refrains and repetition; they can become almost mantraic, which goes with the spiritual nature of the song, but the arrangement could do with being "grander" somehow to offset that relative emptiness; I'm sure other bands have done it well, though I can't think of any off the top of my head; oh! yes I can: "Everything in Its Right Place" by Radiohead; it doesn't "sound like UK", but it similarly works with disjointed puzzle-piece lyrics that feel like poetic notes jotted down in the margin; in the hands of Ed they're like proverbs, and I've always enjoyed his lyrics in this style (Riot Act has a lot of them) but to circle back, the bright but thin musical aesthetic of Backspacer doesn't serve it as well as it could do

and this definition I just Googled really does lend itself to that fragmented thought trail

"Unthought Known is a phrase coined by Christopher Bollas in the 1980s to represent those experiences in some ways known to the individual, but about which the individual is unable to think"

I mean, in as much as this song is always searching for itself and never feeling truly resolved or complete or narratively coherent, I think the title succeeds

PostPosted: Wed February 28, 2024 8:03 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

yeah, Unthought Known remains as a favorite for the band. They played it at Werchter in 2022.

PostPosted: Thu February 29, 2024 1:13 pm 
She / Her

having some distance from this album, being in the midst of some course-correction after Lightning Bolt, I've been enjoying this album quite a lot recently; it is what it is, a (rather minor) experiment in sound and recording, and I like that; it's just that there was a lot of fear at the time that this was... just Pearl Jam now; they continue to surprise us though, and off we go, forward, with this little neo-Ramones nugget to enjoy from the catalogue

PostPosted: Sat March 02, 2024 12:50 pm 
She / Her

you folx who don't like ATW are nuts! that's all

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1983 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam