The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1983 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100  Next

Everyone loves Backspacer, but how much?
5 Stars: 4%  4%  [ 6 ]
4 Stars: 19%  19%  [ 31 ]
3 Stars: 47%  47%  [ 77 ]
2 Stars: 18%  18%  [ 30 ]
1 Star: 12%  12%  [ 20 ]
Total votes : 164
 Post subject: Re: Backspacer: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Wed April 03, 2024 7:20 am 
Future Drummer

I am listening to this right now and am absolutely loving Amongst The Waves and Unthought Known. I'm starting to feel that I like modern Pearl Jam as earnest as possible. (It's a bit weird calling a 15 year old album modern... But it still feels like the current Pearl Jam era somehow)

PostPosted: Wed April 03, 2024 7:21 am 
Future Drummer

The older I get the higher my tolerance for cheese becomes

PostPosted: Wed April 03, 2024 7:27 am 
Future Drummer

Supersonic is fun - Really stupid but fun

PostPosted: Wed April 03, 2024 7:29 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Wow

PostPosted: Wed April 03, 2024 7:30 am 
Future Drummer

Jorge wrote:
Wow

I'm reading this as you're very impressed by my unashamed honesty

PostPosted: Wed April 03, 2024 7:41 am 
Future Drummer

What they did to Speed Of Sound is still very baffling.

PostPosted: Wed April 03, 2024 7:47 am 
She / Her

but great, imo

PostPosted: Wed April 03, 2024 7:51 am 
Future Drummer

In my head "Betterman (live)" is always just a joke and then I listen to Backspacer on Spotify

PostPosted: Wed April 03, 2024 11:37 am 
The worst

Mike wrote:
The older I get the higher my tolerance for cheese becomes

same

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed April 03, 2024 12:22 pm 
AnalLog

I'm onboard for what this album set out to achieve, though they strayed from the mission and got a bit too ponderous and self-aware, as usual.
Call me a hussy, but, this album needed more songs like Da Fixxa & Got Some, not less.

We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…

PostPosted: Wed April 03, 2024 1:17 pm 
Future Drummer

Ms Harmless wrote:
but great, imo

PostPosted: Wed April 03, 2024 5:16 pm 
Rank This Poster

oneway23 wrote:
I'm onboard for what this album set out to achieve, though they strayed from the mission and got a bit too ponderous and self-aware, as usual.
Call me a hussy, but, this album needed more songs like Da Fixxa & Got Some, not less.

Yeah, I think this is the issue with it. In theory, PJ-does-new wave could be a fun approach for an album, and they kind of stick to it for the first few songs. I'm not sure the songwriting sticks with me in the way most of their other albums do, but I see what they were going for. The problem for me is it completely loses the plot after that, both in terms of that focus as well as the strength of the songs, and it never recovers.

PostPosted: Wed April 03, 2024 5:21 pm 
AnalLog

digster wrote:
oneway23 wrote:

Yeah, I think this is the issue with it. In theory, PJ-does-new wave could be a fun approach for an album, and they kind of stick to it for the first few songs. I'm not sure the songwriting sticks with me in the way most of their other albums do, but I see what they were going for. The problem for me is it completely loses the plot after that, both in terms of that focus as well as the strength of the songs, and it never recovers.

Yep. Would have been cool to see what would've happened if they followed through on sustaining the mood for an entire record.

We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…

PostPosted: Wed April 03, 2024 5:28 pm 
She / Her

oneway23 wrote:
digster wrote:
oneway23 wrote:

Yep. Would have been cool to see what would've happened if they followed through on sustaining the mood for an entire record.

and I think this lack of focus on a mood is my biggest issue with Backspacer and Lightning Bolt, even more than the songs; I might not think every S/T song is great individually, but it remains a consistently "moody" record throughout (the sun to Riot Act's moon, maybe); Gigaton has good and great songs, and maintains a mood

PostPosted: Wed April 03, 2024 5:39 pm 
AnalLog

Ms Harmless wrote:
oneway23 wrote:
digster wrote:
oneway23 wrote:

and I think this lack of focus on a mood is my biggest issue with Backspacer and Lightning Bolt, even more than the songs; I might not think every S/T song is great individually, but it remains a consistently "moody" record throughout (the sun to Riot Act's moon, maybe); Gigaton has good and great songs, and maintains a mood

This is probably something that we could continue in a thread outside of the album-specific topics, but, I think it's proven difficult for them to sustain a mood over the course of an entire record for the past twenty or so years because each album is filled with songs that make a conscious attempt, to varying degrees, of course, to cover approximations of various eras throughout their history.

That's not a necessarily a knock from where I'm sitting, either. I don't mind that about them as much as some here.

PostPosted: Wed April 03, 2024 5:43 pm 
She / Her

oneway23 wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:
oneway23 wrote:
digster wrote:
oneway23 wrote:

This is probably something that we could continue in a thread outside of the album-specific topics, but, I think it's proven difficult for them to sustain a mood over the course of an entire record for the past twenty or so years because each album is filled with songs that make a conscious attempt, to varying degrees, of course, to cover approximations of various eras throughout their history.

That's not a necessarily a knock from where I'm sitting, either. I don't mind that about them as much as some here.

that's a point, so maintaining a mood gets harder and harder to do

PostPosted: Wed April 03, 2024 8:44 pm 
A Return To Form

Mike wrote:
What they did to Speed Of Sound is still very baffling.

Whoa. I'd never dug up the demo. Matt Cameron needs to be charged with murder. I thought he moonlit as like a jazz drummer. Why did he Boyz II Men this up?

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 12:16 am 
The worst

Given Backspacer a listen - first pearl jam I've heard since Dark Matter. I wondered if Dark Matter would change how I think about it. Still a great album, but it certainly feels a bit more sedate. You can feel the livewire energy in the Dark Matter performances is missing. It would have really helped blow up a few of these songs, which I've always really liked (or loved) but feel like they are editing themselves

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 12:33 am 
jeeeesus relax already

stip wrote:
Given Backspacer a listen - first pearl jam I've heard since Dark Matter. I wondered if Dark Matter would change how I think about it. Still a great album, but it certainly feels a bit more sedate. You can feel the livewire energy in the Dark Matter performances is missing. It would have really helped blow up a few of these songs, which I've always really liked (or loved) but feel like they are editing themselves

they were, they wanted to cut out a lot of what they did in ST right? a more direct and pop album. Its been a while since i listened to it and after DM i dont really want to, specially because i really dont like what Brendan did with the production and mix.

PostPosted: Tue April 23, 2024 12:35 am 
AnalLog

VinylGuy wrote:
stip wrote:

they were, they wanted to cut out a lot of what they did in ST right? a more direct and pop album. Its been a while since i listened to it and after DM i dont really want to, specially because i really dont like what Brendan did with the production and mix.

I truly believe part of this is due to keeping the integrity of demo ideas and essentially polishing turds that had the potential to be diamonds if they could have just been fucked with a bit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1983 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam