The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1983 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100  Next

Everyone loves Backspacer, but how much?
5 Stars: 4%  4%  [ 6 ]
4 Stars: 18%  18%  [ 30 ]
3 Stars: 47%  47%  [ 77 ]
2 Stars: 19%  19%  [ 31 ]
1 Star: 12%  12%  [ 20 ]
Total votes : 164
 Post subject: Re: Backspacer: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Sat March 02, 2024 12:56 pm 
The worst

ATW is such a warm spring rain of a song. That verizon snippet we got of the final chorus completely warped expectations.

It's not a perfect song by any means (I think Backspacer generally underserved its swelling moments, like the AtW chorus), but the chorus is fine and I genuinely love the verses. Backspacer highlights for me.

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sat March 02, 2024 12:57 pm 
She / Her

totally

PostPosted: Sat March 02, 2024 1:48 pm 
AnalLog

Not ashamed to say that those verses have caused me to well up.
For anyone who has ever felt like it can sometimes prove difficult to keep both hands on the wheel, the message of resilience and the wisdom in those verses is really inspiring

We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…

PostPosted: Sat March 02, 2024 1:54 pm 
The worst

I don't know that this was the direct intent (though it probably informed it on some level just due to living the experience), but Amongst the Waves hits a little bit harder if you think of it in the context of Seattle and Pearl Jam's peers. Even more in 2024 than 2008

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sat March 02, 2024 2:00 pm 
AnalLog

stip wrote:
I don't know that this was the direct intent (though it probably informed it on some level just due to living the experience), but Amongst the Waves hits a little bit harder if you think of it in the context of Seattle and Pearl Jam's peers. Even more in 2024 than 2008

There are reverberations here of Harmless' recent point about how they changed post-Roskilde in the PRAMG thread. Care to expand on the tail end of that sentence? I know I don't have to ask you twice! :D

We still make records to be listened to — not that everyone will listen to a record track one to twelve in a row or side A or Side B — but we still make 'em in case somebody does want to listen to it like that, that's how we make em…

PostPosted: Sat March 02, 2024 2:20 pm 
The worst

Just more deaths, sadly

Kurt Cobain (1994)
Layne Stanley (2002)

Backspacer (2009)

Mike Starr (2011)
Scott Weiland (2015) - not part of the scene but a contemporary
Chris Cornell (2017)
Mark Lanegan (2022)

"If not for love I would be drowning. I've seen it work both ways..."

and then

"Remember back, the early days
When you were young, and less amazed
Suddenly the channel changed
The first time you saw blood
Cut to later, now you're strong
You've bled yourself, the wounds are gone
It's rare when there is nothing wrong
Survived and you're amongst the fittest"

It's not one of those songs I typically think of in the context of the experience of the Pearl Jam trajectory, but it hit me that way this AM

And I think Harmless is right regarding the post Roskilde trajectory of the band being informed by that moment. It's a huge part of it. That, and starting families.

People can certainly like the post Riot Act songs more or less, and think the writing has gotten stronger or suffered, but I think one of the things that helps me appreciate them more (I'd guess I am the biggest fan of/defender of this era on the board) than some is that I've accepted that transition to a different set of concerns, and a different set of truths and experiences the songs try to articulate, in this era. And this changes how I hear and process that music.

That's not all of it, of course. The fact that the vocal choices Eddie made on the No Code - Riot Act run is the mode I prefer him in the least certainly plays as large, if not larger, a role.

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sat March 02, 2024 2:52 pm 
AnalLog

Knew I could count on you. Well done, sir.

I think I'm alongside you in terms of "defending" the more modern era of the band, and many of the reasons you list resonate in terms of the focus shift. I won't compare eras, I'll just say that I feel grateful to have a band that has been one of the most important in my life appear to grow, develop, and change in parallel, to a certain extant, with how my own life experiences and concerns have changed.

There are certain bands I'll stick with out of some sense of nostalgic need, but, Pearl Jam isn't that, for me.

I'm genuinely more concerned with where they are in their lives as a band. I enjoy being updated every few years as to where they are in their collective journey . I really try to not have any expectation for them to fit into whatever my abstract mental conception of them as a band is or should be. I may not love everything to the same degree, but, I'll always make an effort to meet them half way

That was probably a post better suited to the PRAMG thread, but, c'est la vie.

Back to Backspacer

PostPosted: Sat March 02, 2024 3:46 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

My main concern with their music is that they are releasing albums every 4 years and i would like them to release them every 2 or maybe 3. Or release more singles.

PostPosted: Sat March 02, 2024 4:00 pm 
She / Her

stip wrote:
Just more deaths, sadly

Kurt Cobain (1994)
Layne Stanley (2002)

Backspacer (2009)

Mike Starr (2011)
Scott Weiland (2015) - not part of the scene but a contemporary
Chris Cornell (2017)
Mark Lanegan (2022)

"If not for love I would be drowning. I've seen it work both ways..."

and then

"Remember back, the early days
When you were young, and less amazed
Suddenly the channel changed
The first time you saw blood
Cut to later, now you're strong
You've bled yourself, the wounds are gone
It's rare when there is nothing wrong
Survived and you're amongst the fittest"

It's not one of those songs I typically think of in the context of the experience of the Pearl Jam trajectory, but it hit me that way this AM

And I think Harmless is right regarding the post Roskilde trajectory of the band being informed by that moment. It's a huge part of it. That, and starting families.

People can certainly like the post Riot Act songs more or less, and think the writing has gotten stronger or suffered, but I think one of the things that helps me appreciate them more (I'd guess I am the biggest fan of/defender of this era on the board) than some is that I've accepted that transition to a different set of concerns, and a different set of truths and experiences the songs try to articulate, in this era. And this changes how I hear and process that music.

That's not all of it, of course. The fact that the vocal choices Eddie made on the No Code - Riot Act run is the mode I prefer him in the least certainly plays as large, if not larger, a role.

an excellent post

PostPosted: Sat March 02, 2024 4:11 pm 
The worst

VinylGuy wrote:
My main concern with their music is that they are releasing albums every 4 years and i would like them to release them every 2 or maybe 3. Or release more singles.

It's frustrating (or disappointing) because we see how prolific they all are as writers. If everyone brought their 3 favorite solo songs they write between records to a session we'd be in business

Or lock yourselves in a room for a few weeks and take the Dark Matter route.

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sat March 02, 2024 4:14 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

yeah, i hope after this album that change.

Stone said he had like 50 song ideas and Ed would pick maybe one so its frustrating to know there is so much material left unused.

PostPosted: Sat March 02, 2024 4:34 pm 
AnalLog

VinylGuy wrote:
yeah, i hope after this album that change.

Stone said he had like 50 song ideas and Ed would pick maybe one so its frustrating to know there is so much material left unused.

This is why they're not as prolific. Stone has repeatedly mentioned over the past decade that he would ideally write songs with Ed every week, but, that's simply not how he works at this stage of his life.
Ed is the ultimate arbiter in the band. If he doesn't latch onto something, it doesn't get worked on.

Having said that, his experiences with The Wotman over the past few years seem to have altered his outlook a bit.

PostPosted: Sat March 02, 2024 5:02 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

yeah, it seems Ed is at least, working from another perspective after his experience with Watt. Its very cool he brought the band along with it.

I wonder why he changed from ¨lets all bring full songs to work¨ to this state were it seems they are more conscious about what they release as a Pearl Jam song. They are also more secretive than ever with the material thats left off every session.

PostPosted: Sat March 02, 2024 5:14 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

ATW just sounds too much like worship music and like a U2 song

PostPosted: Sat March 02, 2024 5:25 pm 
The worst

Jorge wrote:

I think that's by design. But if you don't like U2 I can see why this song doesn't work for you

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sat March 02, 2024 5:31 pm 
Future Drummer

Those chorus guitars need to hit way harder, but it's one of the better BS songs

PostPosted: Sat March 02, 2024 6:08 pm 
Production Police

Jorge wrote:

oh god it does sound like worship music. just when I thought I couldn't hate it more.

PostPosted: Sat March 02, 2024 6:10 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

i used to not like the guitars at all, but they have warmed up with time. Its the groove that i love though. Jeff and Matt are doing great and interest choices all around.

Its actually a great Matt and Jeff album. Got Some has some fantastic moments too. The Fixer and Johnny Guitar are awesome.

PostPosted: Sat March 02, 2024 6:57 pm 
She / Her

Jorge wrote:

because of the soul that has been saved line? idk, I think it's an anti-worship song: surfing is my god / salvation

PostPosted: Sat March 02, 2024 6:57 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

More because of the musical elements than the lyrics

The lyrics are just corny

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1983 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam