The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2575 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119 ... 129  Next
 Post subject: Re: RANK THE ALBUMS
PostPosted: Wed September 29, 2021 11:35 pm 
AnalLog

liebzz wrote:
Just Breathe is a little much and it doesn’t help that it’s musically just a retread of Tolumne with words.

Having never heard "Tuolumne" until now, I have to agree with that description. I do love the song though, and think it could really benefit from a wayyyyy stripped down production mix, a la Josh Evans with Comes Then Goes.

PostPosted: Wed September 29, 2021 11:41 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

IIRC, Brendan heard Tuolumne and pushed Ed to expand it into a full song.

PostPosted: Wed September 29, 2021 11:51 pm 
AnalLog

digster wrote:
PJ's later career albums (and some might argue their whole career) have always been a bit top-heavy, but I feel like Backspacer loses the plot around Johnny Guitar/Just Breathe and never really finds it again.

No Pearl Jam albums ends with more of a limp than Lightning Bolt.

PostPosted: Thu September 30, 2021 1:11 am 
The worst

Thurman Murman wrote:
digster wrote:
PJ's later career albums (and some might argue their whole career) have always been a bit top-heavy, but I feel like Backspacer loses the plot around Johnny Guitar/Just Breathe and never really finds it again.

L-bolt has my favorite 3 run song to end an album since Vs. Gigaton may be ahead of it. Which may just prove Digster's point

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu September 30, 2021 1:33 am 
AnalLog

stip wrote:
Thurman Murman wrote:
digster wrote:

L-bolt has my favorite 3 run song to end an album since Vs. Gigaton may be ahead of it. Which may just prove Digster's point

No doubt most of their albums are top heavy to some degree. But i can't even stomach that run of 4 songs to end Lightning Bolt. Let the Records Play is probably a bottom 5 song (not including interludes, etc) in the catalogue and Future Days as it is on the album is bar none their worst closer in my books. Yellow Moon is OK, i'm not offended by Sleeping By Myself but i found it kind of depressing that the band couldnt have come up with something better to fill out the album with...it just seemed really pointless.

PostPosted: Thu September 30, 2021 1:41 am 
A Return To Form

Ten
Vs
No Code/Gigaton
Yield
Binaural
Riot Act
Vitalogy
S/T
Backspacer
Lightning Bolt

I finally like Binaural....though now find Vitalogy pretty mediocre. Ten is rankable for the first time I've done one of these and even though I never really listen to it, it's just so good for that kind of music. I still feel that Yield and Gigaton should be back-to-back on these rankings - even if they are bottom two.

PostPosted: Thu September 30, 2021 1:41 am 
Rank This Poster

Thurman Murman wrote:
digster wrote:

LB does close with what may be the worst Pearl Jam song, but its latter half does have some songs that for me still have compelling aspects to them, from Infallible and Pendulum to Swallowed Whole, Sleeping By Myself, Yellow Moon. I don't know if I'd call any of these favorites, but I do like some of them and like parts of all of them. The problem with Backspacer is that even if I'm feeling good about Just Breathe (a song I run pretty hot or cold on), from Amongst the Waves onward I don't think there's a compelling song on there until they get to the closer. That's half the record for me that just doesn't really go anywhere.

PostPosted: Thu September 30, 2021 1:42 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

For all the crap I talked, I still love Let the Records Play and always will. I mean, if you are going to juxtapose a sleek pop song over a Stone riff, that’s the way to do it. Sleeping By Myself is fine but anything that’s almost a meta self reference should probably be a b-side. Yellow Moon works for me. Future Days is my least favorite Pearl Jam song.

Really it’s songs like Sirens, Infallible, My Father’s Son, and Swallowed Whole that start to bother me because they all have great potential but the decisions made on those songs turned them from potential greats to mediocre by numbers Pearl Jam songs that try to be songs that already exist. I guess they are fine but I expect more.

PostPosted: Thu September 30, 2021 1:54 am 
AnalLog

digster wrote:
Thurman Murman wrote:
digster wrote:

LB does close with what may be the worst Pearl Jam song, but its latter half does have some songs that for me still have compelling aspects to them, from Infallible and Pendulum to Swallowed Whole, Sleeping By Myself, Yellow Moon. I don't know if I'd call any of these favorites, but I do like some of them and like parts of all of them. The problem with Backspacer is that even if I'm feeling good about Just Breathe (a song I run pretty hot or cold on), from Amongst the Waves onward I don't think there's a compelling song on there until they get to the closer. That's half the record for me that just doesn't really go anywhere.

I mean i'm not a huge Backspacer defender here...i still think its their 2nd worst album easily, but man i will take the last four songs there over LB anyday. I love The End...and contrary to many on the board i really dig Force of Nature.

PostPosted: Thu September 30, 2021 2:40 am 
Future Drummer

digster wrote:
Thurman Murman wrote:
digster wrote:

I realized today when combing through Spotify that I've never really listened to any of the 2013 tour, when LB songs were in heavy rotation. So, I put one on (Seattle 12/6). Gigaton being the obvious other exception, I've never given many of the LB songs a chance to gain or lose esteem based on how they come through live.

In the handful of shows I've been to since then, certain songs (MYM ( :thumbsdown: ), Lightning Bolt ( :thumbsup: great)) still get played a fair amount.

But Pendulum was a great opener, and I've probably underrated it a bit over the years. Getaway was solid and made me want to listen to more of it from the tour. Sirens was solid. Let The Records Play was terrible. And Future Days was...good.

I think I'll spend quite a few hours digging into that tour more in the next few weeks.

PostPosted: Thu September 30, 2021 2:50 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I listened to Brooklyn 2 (I was there) and Oakland in the last month and they were both very good shows.

PostPosted: Thu September 30, 2021 3:07 am 
Future Drummer

liebzz wrote:
I listened to Brooklyn 2 (I was there) and Oakland in the last month and they were both very good shows.

Yeah, I'll go with the Brooklyn shows next, since I was at those two. I recall being quite let down by Yellow Moon, despite it coming at the right spot in the set.

PostPosted: Tue October 19, 2021 10:04 pm 
A Return To Form

Current Rankings (for the laugh):

Vs.(a first actually)
No Code
Binaural
Vitalogy
Ten
Pearl Jam
Riot Act
Yield
Gigaton
Backspacer
Lightning Bolt

PostPosted: Tue October 19, 2021 11:17 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

As of right this moment:

Vitalogy
No Code
Yield
Binaural
Gigaton
Vs.
Ten
Pearl Jam
Riot Act
Backspacer
Lightning Bolt

PostPosted: Tue October 19, 2021 11:53 pm 
Production Police

Riot Act

PostPosted: Wed October 20, 2021 2:12 am 
10Club Complaint Department

tragabigzanda wrote:
Riot Act

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed October 20, 2021 5:07 am 
AnalLog

Yield
Gigaton
Riot Act
Vs
Vitalogy
No Code
Binaural
Pearl Jam
Ten
Backspacer
Lightning Bolt

PostPosted: Thu September 15, 2022 4:37 am 
Production Police

Vs.
Riot Act
Vitalogy
Binaural
No Code
Yield
Pearl Jam
Ten
Backspacer
Gigaton
Lightning Bolt

PostPosted: Thu September 15, 2022 4:40 am 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
Vs.
Riot Act
Vitalogy
Binaural
No Code
Yield
Pearl Jam
Ten
Backspacer
Gigaton

Lightning Bolt

PostPosted: Thu September 15, 2022 4:47 am 
Production Police

I really struggled with that. Maybe I’d swap them. Let’s see what the live setting does for some of the Gigaton material.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2575 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119 ... 129  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam