The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2575 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 129  Next
 Post subject: Re: RANK THE ALBUMS
PostPosted: Sat January 12, 2013 12:31 am 
Poster of the Year

I would have made Stupid Mop a hidden track myself.

PostPosted: Sat January 12, 2013 1:26 am 
The worst

that would have been better. It would have been a lot cooler as a 'discovery' or something that comes out of nowhere

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sat January 12, 2013 2:49 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Vitalogy
No Code
Ten
Yield
Binaural
Vs
Riot Act
Backspacer
Avocado

PostPosted: Sat January 12, 2013 2:52 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Stip wrote:
the only one I would actively seek out is Bugs. Aye Davanita is a nice little instrumental but I don't usually feel the need to hear it. Pry. To is not an inappropriate introduction to Corduroy, although it isn't necessary either. I never want to listen to stupid mop, but I can see how it fits and what they wanted to do with it. and on occasion I can see why Angus has the appreciation for it that he does. It came on a random shuffle the other day and when you go into it fresh it can be powerful.

Plus I don't really think of stupid mop as a song. So the fact that I don't enjoy it doesn't matter as much. And it's at the end of the album so I can ignore it. I can always stop no code at present tense but it feels like cheating in a way skipping stupid mop doesn't. It's also 3 songs, where stupid mop is just one track (albeit a long one)

Oy.

PostPosted: Sat January 12, 2013 2:59 am 

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Gods' Die wrote:
I think you're vastly overrating the "experimental" tracks on Vitalogy. Fucking Stupid Mop, come on.

No he's not.

It's not that the first 3 bother me...I even enjoy them; however, they're far from necessary. I also don't think Bugs is all that clever. And I like the albums with those little weird "experimental songs". But I think it's more of the mindset the band was in on those albums (more adventurous) and willing to stretch and open up their songwriting that makes me enjoy the albums with the quirky tracks on them than the inclusion of said quirky tracks. Again, they're all pretty unnecessary but I loved the headspace the band was in making them.

PostPosted: Sat January 12, 2013 4:35 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Honestly, there's not one thing I dislike about Vitalogy. Not one song I don't think is vital to the album. Not a single track that I skip.

PostPosted: Sat January 12, 2013 4:36 am 
Future Drummer

durdencommatyler wrote:
Honestly, there's not one thing I dislike about Vitalogy. Not one song I don't think is vital to the album. Not a single track that I skip.

PostPosted: Sat January 12, 2013 5:26 am 
tl;dr

I like the music to "Stupid Mop" as a kind of crackpot studio experiment, but those therapy session voice-overs ruin it for me.

PostPosted: Sat January 12, 2013 7:04 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

Kevin Davis wrote:
I like the music to "Stupid Mop" as a kind of crackpot studio experiment, but those therapy session voice-overs ruin it for me.

for me, it's all I want so much

PostPosted: Sat January 12, 2013 7:08 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

Vs
Avocado
Riot Act
Binaural
Yield
Ten
Backspacer
No Code
Vitalogy

Pearl Jam only has 9 albums? I still have to get No Code & Vitalogy. . . :lol:

PostPosted: Sat January 12, 2013 12:54 pm 
The worst

Gods' Die wrote:
Stip wrote:
the only one I would actively seek out is Bugs. Aye Davanita is a nice little instrumental but I don't usually feel the need to hear it. Pry. To is not an inappropriate introduction to Corduroy, although it isn't necessary either. I never want to listen to stupid mop, but I can see how it fits and what they wanted to do with it. and on occasion I can see why Angus has the appreciation for it that he does. It came on a random shuffle the other day and when you go into it fresh it can be powerful.

Plus I don't really think of stupid mop as a song. So the fact that I don't enjoy it doesn't matter as much. And it's at the end of the album so I can ignore it. I can always stop no code at present tense but it feels like cheating in a way skipping stupid mop doesn't. It's also 3 songs, where stupid mop is just one track (albeit a long one)

Oy.

besides trying to be dismissive without actually having to make a point, what are you actually disagreeing with here?

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sat January 12, 2013 1:08 pm 
A Return To Form

Vitalogy
Ten
Vs
Yield
Binaural
No Code
Backspacer
Pearl Jam
Riot Act

PostPosted: Sat January 12, 2013 1:39 pm 

Stip wrote:
Gods' Die wrote:
Stip wrote:

Oy.

besides trying to be dismissive without actually having to make a point, what are you actually disagreeing with here?

Exasperated would be closer to the mood of the response than dismissive. And I know arguing opinions isn't worth much so I just said "Oy." I personally think it's ridiculous the way you dismiss the shit on Vitalogy and will write off No Code because of what I see as the exact same issues. They're all songs, not particularly worth much, and I'm Open and Mankind don't seem like they're supposed to be any more canonical than Bugs or Pry, To. So how those 2 detract from your listening experience and Stupid Mop and the like don't is some strange bit of psychology that doesn't stand in my way of loving what came before on No Code.

But like I said it's opinions and preferences, therefore I didn't think it was worth it, as well as you also mentioning you enjoyed No Code regardless.

PostPosted: Sat January 12, 2013 2:02 pm 
tl;dr

I understand where Stip is coming from in not considering "Stupid Mop" a song. As "song" is technically a variant of "sing," the pedant in me always feels a tad disingenuous labeling unsung musical pieces (i.e. a noise collage) as such--I usually go for vaguer terms like "piece," "track," "composition," or even "tune," though that wouldn't really be applicable to "Stupid Mop" either. Which isn't to say the label automatically renders it a lesser piece of art, of course, just that I can understand it not occupying the same space in one's mind.

PostPosted: Sat January 12, 2013 2:07 pm 

Kevin Davis wrote:
I understand where Stip is coming from in not considering "Stupid Mop" a song. As "song" is technically a variant of "sing," the pedant in me always feels a tad disingenuous labeling unsung musical pieces (i.e. a noise collage) as such--I usually go for vaguer terms like "piece," "track," "composition," or even "tune," though that wouldn't really be applicable to "Stupid Mop" either. Which isn't to say the label automatically renders it a lesser piece of art, of course, just that I can understand it not occupying the same space in one's mind.

I'm mostly talking about the other 3 which I do listen to, and have no problem doing so when I'm listening to it as an album...outside discussing Stupid Mop on this board I barely recognize its existence; Vitalogy effectively ends for me after Immortality. All the others (on both V & NC) are essentially the same to me though, that was the point I was trying to make.

PostPosted: Sat January 12, 2013 2:17 pm 
tl;dr

Definitely. I wasn't responding to you, necessarily, just running with what Stip said.

Here's what I had to say about Vitalogy in the LAL thread, which is pretty indicative of how I take the album:

Kevin Davis wrote:
I've been listening to a few '93-'94 shows, and it's interesting how much of Vitalogy appeared at these shows, some of which were well over a year before the album's release. "Whipping" and "Better Man" even showed up at Slim's in May '93, which was even earlier. Especially considering how old we know "Better Man" is, and what we know about the lack of cooperative creativity in the band at this time, I tend to think that Vitalogy was a sort of "spare parts" album, and that those artsy interlude tracks might have been a way of corralling together a bunch of songs that weren't necessarily written to go together. With the exception of "Bugs," which may or may not be any good, but is still enough of a "song" to transcend the category that "Pry, To" and "Aye Davanita" belong to, I don't necessarily love any of those tracks on their own, but they do tie the songs together in their own strange way--it's less a "beautifully wrapped package" type thing and more a "held together with wads of chewing gum" type thing, but it's still part of what makes it tick. I understand finding them extraneous, and I kind of agree that they are, but I don't think the ten "songs" that make up Vitalogy would necessarily cohere terribly well without them.

PostPosted: Sat January 12, 2013 3:29 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I'm not trying to be a brat or whatever, but can someone explain to me what makes Aye Davanita (and Bugs, for that matter) any less of a song than Last Exit (or Satan's Bed, for that matter)?

I'll give you Pry, To only because it's a fragment. I'll disagree, but I'll still give it to you without a fight. Of course, Stupid Mop is it's own thing. I understand the reluctance to call that a song or whatever.

PostPosted: Sat January 12, 2013 3:42 pm 
The worst

Gods' Die wrote:
Stip wrote:
Gods' Die wrote:
Stip wrote:

Oy.

Exasperated would be closer to the mood of the response than dismissive. And I know arguing opinions isn't worth much so I just said "Oy." I personally think it's ridiculous the way you dismiss the shit on Vitalogy and will write off No Code because of what I see as the exact same issues. They're all songs, not particularly worth much, and I'm Open and Mankind don't seem like they're supposed to be any more canonical than Bugs or Pry, To. So how those 2 detract from your listening experience and Stupid Mop and the like don't is some strange bit of psychology that doesn't stand in my way of loving what came before on No Code.

But like I said it's opinions and preferences, therefore I didn't think it was worth it, as well as you also mentioning you enjoyed No Code regardless.

aren't we here to talk about our opinions and preferences? Whether or not it was your intention, comments like yours are dismissive. When people write something directed at you it is respectful to respond. If you have nothing to add then something like fair enough is certainly preferable to oy, which indicates that 'I disagree, find your opinion foolish, and don't deem it worth my time to respond to you.'

TL,DR is also a pet peeve of mine.

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sat January 12, 2013 3:48 pm 
The worst

durdencommatyler wrote:
I'm not trying to be a brat or whatever, but can someone explain to me what makes Aye Davanita (and Bugs, for that matter) any less of a song than Last Exit (or Satan's Bed, for that matter)?

I'll give you Pry, To only because it's a fragment. I'll disagree, but I'll still give it to you without a fight. Of course, Stupid Mop is it's own thing. I understand the reluctance to call that a song or whatever.

Well Aye Davanita is basically an instrumental. If pearl jam wrote more of them, or more aggressively incorporated them into their albums, I'd be more inclined to think of it as a song. Instead it feels more like a long link or an intermission.

I guess I'd have to consider Bugs a song, if I'm being honest (and I like bugs, even though I wouldn't listen to it unless it came on randomly or I was working through the album. It's an abrasive performance art piece that isn't necessarily enjoyable)

I guess I'd say this, with the caveat that all these distinctions may be somewhat arbitrary. The vitalogy pieces are probably not meant to be listened to on their own. They are linking pieces, meant to tie fuller songs to each other and to the concept of the album more fully. I don't think any of them were ever written with the intention of standing alone. Whereas even more unusual pieces, like Soon Forget, are still able to exist independently of their album.

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sat January 12, 2013 3:50 pm 

Stip wrote:
Gods' Die wrote:
Stip wrote:
Gods' Die wrote:
Stip wrote:

Oy.

aren't we here to talk about our opinions and preferences? Whether or not it was your intention, comments like yours are dismissive. When people write something directed at you it is respectful to respond. If you have nothing to add then something like fair enough is certainly preferable to oy, which indicates that 'I disagree, find your opinion foolish, and don't deem it worth my time to respond to you.'

TL,DR is also a pet peeve of mine.

I explained that my intention wasn't to be dismissive and went on to explain myself. I'd have no problem with someone saying "Oy." to me so I was trying to use the golden rule.

And comments like mine? Or that particular comment? Because I feel as though I'm pretty thoughtful and respectful, even if I happen to disagree.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2575 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 129  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam