The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2605 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126 ... 131  Next
 Post subject: Re: RANK THE ALBUMS
PostPosted: Tue November 21, 2023 7:13 pm 
Future Drummer

BootsToAsses wrote:
I'm not ashamed to admit I sometimes get more enjoyment listening to Gigaton straight through than I do Vitalogy.

I mean, this is super-duper a-okay.

PostPosted: Tue November 21, 2023 8:44 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

guitar_davey wrote:
BootsToAsses wrote:
I legitimately enjoy every album. The difference between number 1 and number 11 is almost negligible.

I'm not ashamed to admit I sometimes get more enjoyment listening to Gigaton straight through than I do Vitalogy.

:hooray: :wave:

I have an ally!

PostPosted: Wed November 22, 2023 1:08 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

I’m just glad that Gigaton feels closer to Ten-Riot Act than it does to Avacado-Lightning Bolt. It’s not that albums 8,9 and 10 were bad but they felt removed from what I loved most about previous PJ albums: Depth, atmosphere, unique to the band, challenging to the listener, etc. Gigaton brought that back. Combine that with how much I enjoyed Earthling and I’m more optimistic about a future album than I’ve been for almost 2 decades.

PostPosted: Thu November 23, 2023 1:15 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Matters wrote:
I’m just glad that Gigaton feels closer to Ten-Riot Act than it does to Avacado-Lightning Bolt. It’s not that albums 8,9 and 10 were bad but they felt removed from what I loved most about previous PJ albums: Depth, atmosphere, unique to the band, challenging to the listener, etc. Gigaton brought that back. Combine that with how much I enjoyed Earthling and I’m more optimistic about a future album than I’ve been for almost 2 decades.

I totally agree with this. The difference between those two eras is huge

PostPosted: Thu November 23, 2023 5:29 pm 
AnalLog

Matters wrote:

I'm on board with all of this.

PostPosted: Thu November 23, 2023 7:03 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Good points. Hopefully more of that with the new album.

PostPosted: Tue November 28, 2023 1:35 am 
Broken Tamborine

Question: which album has risen the most in your rankings compared to when you first heard it? For me, it’s Riot Act. I’ve come to love it more over time.

PostPosted: Tue November 28, 2023 1:46 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Vitalogist wrote:
Question: which album has risen the most in your rankings compared to when you first heard it? For me, it’s Riot Act. I’ve come to love it more over time.

Binaural. I have always loved it, but it now floats between #1 and #4 depending on my mood.

PostPosted: Tue November 28, 2023 2:15 am 
The worst

Vitalogist wrote:

the problem is I tend to mostly overrate new Pearl Jam (usually a top 3 record for a while), and then they settle to their 'proper' ranking. So in that respect Binaural and Riot Act probably dropped the most. No Code has always been at the bottom for me.

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu November 30, 2023 7:55 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Vitalogist wrote:

Binaural, no question

PostPosted: Thu November 30, 2023 8:23 pm 
Rank This Poster

I think, at least compared to how I felt about it shortly after its release, the S/T record's climbed the most. I don't know if it reaches the heights of the earlier stuff, but I definitely view it way more favorably than I used to. No Code is probably the only other record that tends to vascillate pretty heavily in my rankings (it's been my least favorite pre S/T album at times, and at other times I think it's their best). Everything else is pretty well-established either at the top of the heap (Vitalogy, Yield, Binaural) or the bottom (Backspacer, LB).

PostPosted: Thu November 30, 2023 9:56 pm 
tl;dr

digster wrote:
I think, at least compared to how I felt about it shortly after its release, the S/T record's climbed the most. I don't know if it reaches the heights of the earlier stuff, but I definitely view it way more favorably than I used to. No Code is probably the only other record that tends to vascillate pretty heavily in my rankings (it's been my least favorite pre S/T album at times, and at other times I think it's their best). Everything else is pretty well-established either at the top of the heap (Vitalogy, Yield, Binaural) or the bottom (Backspacer, LB).

No Code and S/T are also the only PJ albums where I’ve really experienced a shift in how I thought about them over time compared to my initial impressions of them.

Backspacer, which I rated comically highly when it came out, has fallen in my rankings quite a bit, but I don’t really enjoy the songs less now than I did then, if that makes sense — some perspective on their relative greatness in the band’s catalog has taken hold, but in actually listening to the music, I still hear many of the songs the same way. Not sure if that makes sense.

PostPosted: Thu November 30, 2023 10:11 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Kevin Davis wrote:
digster wrote:

No Code and S/T are also the only PJ albums where I’ve really experienced a shift in how I thought about them over time compared to my initial impressions of them.

Backspacer, which I rated comically highly when it came out, has fallen in my rankings quite a bit, but I don’t really enjoy the songs less now than I did then, if that makes sense — some perspective on their relative greatness in the band’s catalog has taken hold, but in actually listening to the music, I still hear many of the songs the same way. Not sure if that makes sense.

In summary, you don’t like Binaural less, you just like other Pearl Jam albums more.

PostPosted: Thu November 30, 2023 11:08 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

stip wrote:
No Code has always been at the bottom for me.

Guys, I found it. The worst take in rimming history.

PostPosted: Fri December 01, 2023 12:40 am 
The Master

geezes fucking christ, stip.

PostPosted: Fri December 01, 2023 2:30 am 
The worst

how is this news to anyone?

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri December 01, 2023 2:32 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Yeah we’ve been down this road before.

PostPosted: Fri December 01, 2023 9:32 am 
The worst

Even the bottom of my list Pearl Jam albums are still albums I really like. If I was assigning letter grades they've never produced below a B.

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri December 01, 2023 12:18 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

stip wrote:
Even the bottom of my list Pearl Jam albums are still albums I really like. If I was assigning letter grades they've never produced below a B.

This I wholeheartedly agree with

PostPosted: Fri December 01, 2023 12:56 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

liebzz wrote:
stip wrote:

This I wholeheartedly agree with

:hooray:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2605 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126 ... 131  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam