The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2586 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108 ... 130  Next
 Post subject: Re: RANK THE ALBUMS
PostPosted: Tue June 16, 2020 11:03 pm 
The Master

I just love the way the band plays on this album. Playing with grace and the right amount of ferocity. Sleek yet vigilant. They seem happy, they seem focused, they seem to be honoring the songs and not fighting for space.

Ed sounds great across the spectrum.

Its such an enjoyable listen.

PostPosted: Tue June 16, 2020 11:05 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

I’m with ya totally, Strat.

PostPosted: Tue June 16, 2020 11:16 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

This isn't a knock on Gigaton, because I love it, but it has made me revisit and love ST even more. I don't know why, maybe because it's just so much better than the last two turds that I appreciate what they did back then, but it's great.

PostPosted: Tue June 16, 2020 11:17 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

*edit: last two turds meaning albums before Gigaton. Not Gigaton

PostPosted: Tue June 16, 2020 11:20 pm 

If Gigaton came right after ST, that would have been awesome. They are great back to back

PostPosted: Tue June 16, 2020 11:23 pm 

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
This isn't a knock on Gigaton, because I love it, but it has made me revisit and love ST even more. I don't know why, maybe because it's just so much better than the last two turds that I appreciate what they did back then, but it's great.

Ive done the exact same with Riot Act.

PostPosted: Tue June 16, 2020 11:26 pm 
AnalLog

Yes, Gigaton somehow brings out the strength of RA and S-T and the weakness of the following two albums. Maybe PRAMG was really just a two-album detour?

PostPosted: Tue June 16, 2020 11:28 pm 
AnalLog

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
If Gigaton came right after ST, that would have been awesome. They are great back to back

For me the two most consistent albums the band have released since 98.

PostPosted: Tue June 16, 2020 11:30 pm 

Binaural must’ve slipped your mind.

PostPosted: Tue June 16, 2020 11:32 pm 
AnalLog

PHATJ wrote:

Well i did say consistent....not necessarily best.

PostPosted: Wed June 17, 2020 2:58 am 
Future Drummer

RockPusher wrote:
Yes, Gigaton somehow brings out the strength of RA and S-T and the weakness of the following two albums. Maybe PRAMG was really just a two-album detour?

"Just two albums" sounds way better than "just 14 years."

PostPosted: Fri June 19, 2020 10:44 am 
A Return To Form

Riot Act
Binaural
Pearl Jam
No Code
Ten
Vitalogy
Yield
Vs.
Backspacer
Lightning Bolt

Gigaton

PostPosted: Fri June 19, 2020 11:27 pm 
The worst

PHATJ wrote:

Binaural is incredibly inconsistent

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri June 19, 2020 11:38 pm 
AnalLog

The Vitalogy/Merkinball/No Code/Yield era was the best. Can rank them any way you want. I choose No Code first but really any of them can go anywhere. It's all genius and chaos and perfect.

Then gotta go back to the start with TEN/VS, in either order. Throw in Singles songs too.

Then Riot Act/Binaural, in either order.

Then the rest of the shit post 2003. I've listened to Gigaton once. We can put that ahead of the other turds if you want. But it's not coming close to any of the 7 albums above it.

/end

PostPosted: Sat June 20, 2020 1:53 am 
A Return To Form

given2trade wrote:
The Vitalogy/Merkinball/No Code/Yield era was the best. Can rank them any way you want. I choose No Code first but really any of them can go anywhere. It's all genius and chaos and perfect.

Then gotta go back to the start with TEN/VS, in either order. Throw in Singles songs too.

Then the rest of the shit post 2003. I've listened to Gigaton once. We can put that ahead of the other turds if you want. But it's not coming close to any of the 7 albums above it.

/end

Agreed except I'd place Gigaton with your top tier. Ed disapprovingly picking up Mike's smashed guitar on Letterman when they played Save You is the attitude that ruined Binaural, Riot Act, and actually almost Yield. Gigaton has to rank above Riot Act simply because Ed picked up the guitar.

PostPosted: Sat June 20, 2020 2:05 am 

stip wrote:
PHATJ wrote:

Binaural is incredibly inconsistent

Binaural is brilliant start to finish. The older I get, and the more I listen to Binaural, I can’t imagine a rock band making a much better album. It’s remarkably good.

PostPosted: Sat June 20, 2020 2:10 am 
AnalLog

FlatSideofaDog wrote:
given2trade wrote:

/end

Agreed except I'd place Gigaton with your top tier. Ed disapprovingly picking up Mike's smashed guitar on Letterman when they played Save You is the attitude that ruined Binaural, Riot Act, and actually almost Yield. Gigaton has to rank above Riot Act simply because Ed picked up the guitar.

Gigaton can't come anywhere near that era. I didn't rank albums I ranked eras and all my album rankings would fall w/in those 3 era rankings. Beginning/Middle/Washed Up. lol

PostPosted: Sat June 20, 2020 4:02 am 
A Return To Form

given2trade wrote:
FlatSideofaDog wrote:
given2trade wrote:

/end

Gigaton can't come anywhere near that era. I didn't rank albums I ranked eras and all my album rankings would fall w/in those 3 era rankings. Beginning/Middle/Washed Up. lol

Gigaton is exactly as good as Yield.

PostPosted: Sat June 20, 2020 12:25 pm 
Broken Tamborine

FlatSideofaDog wrote:
given2trade wrote:
FlatSideofaDog wrote:
given2trade wrote:

/end

Gigaton is exactly as good as Yield.

Gigaton may not be your thing but no way does a band whose washed up put that album out.

PostPosted: Sat June 20, 2020 1:07 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I might note Gigaton is really still rising for me. Something about its cohesiveness is drawing me in more than any other of their albums right now. For me, it has the sonic textures of Binaural combined with the accessibility of Yield, which is a strong statement.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2586 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108 ... 130  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam