The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 684 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: The holiday single thread
PostPosted: Fri January 12, 2018 3:44 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

darth_vedder wrote:
Alive was pretty interesting. I mean I heard it when the HOF was on HBO, but paying a bit more attention it's so interesting to hear it "slow" again. The use of the highhat at the beginning rather that the ride is a big difference. Slowing it down also makes me appreciate the drum fills more; they are standing out more. Listening around the 2:30 mark, that groove PJ has and can use if they want, makes a comeback. The solo is really nice too, Mike sounds good overtop the groove Jeff / Stone / Dave are in. Towards the last minute it feels like the song is speeding up to more modern levels and Dave can't quite keep up like Matt can, but damn, Mr. Krusen is doing a really good job. Ed sound good too.

Its not the same version. This is from the soundcheck.

PostPosted: Fri January 12, 2018 3:51 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

VinylGuy wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Alive was pretty interesting. I mean I heard it when the HOF was on HBO, but paying a bit more attention it's so interesting to hear it "slow" again. The use of the highhat at the beginning rather that the ride is a big difference. Slowing it down also makes me appreciate the drum fills more; they are standing out more. Listening around the 2:30 mark, that groove PJ has and can use if they want, makes a comeback. The solo is really nice too, Mike sounds good overtop the groove Jeff / Stone / Dave are in. Towards the last minute it feels like the song is speeding up to more modern levels and Dave can't quite keep up like Matt can, but damn, Mr. Krusen is doing a really good job. Ed sound good too.

Yep, but I mean, it was similar and played at that same tempo. That was my take away...playing it slower makes it better. PJ + Matt are plenty capable; circa 1998 with Matt on the Yield tour is arguably the best the band has ever been.

PostPosted: Fri January 12, 2018 8:23 pm 
Future Drummer

Strat wrote:
Its also kind of a lifeless song to begin with in my opinion.

Is this lifeless?

PostPosted: Fri January 12, 2018 8:25 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
Strat wrote:
Its also kind of a lifeless song to begin with in my opinion.

Is this lifeless?

That's a lot better than the cover.

PostPosted: Fri January 12, 2018 8:39 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

i hope they play it live and Ed does that leg shimmy

PostPosted: Fri January 12, 2018 8:45 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

darth_vedder wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:

Yep, but I mean, it was similar and played at that same tempo. That was my take away...playing it slower makes it better. PJ + Matt are plenty capable; circa 1998 with Matt on the Yield tour is arguably the best the band has ever been.

Yeah, that tour with him is amazing. Every song sounds great.

PostPosted: Fri January 12, 2018 8:59 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

When I listened to Around and Around I thought "wow, this is exactly what their studio records should sound like."

It's miles away from the glossy brittleness of Backspacer or LB.

Guess all our ears are different.

PostPosted: Fri January 12, 2018 9:54 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Birds in Hell wrote:
When I listened to Around and Around I thought "wow, this is exactly what their studio records should sound like."

agreed. feels like exactly what it is... all playing together in a room. has the Riot Act feel to it.

PostPosted: Sat January 13, 2018 2:26 am 
The Master

bodysnatcher wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

agreed. feels like exactly what it is... all playing together in a room. has the Riot Act feel to it.

I love the way it sounds, i just dont think pj have the swagger to do it.

I think there are a bunch of other similar songs that are a little more gnarly than this song. ITs a fine song and I love old school blues Chuck Berry Stuff...But i dont think this song is that great to begin with.

PostPosted: Sat January 13, 2018 3:01 am 
Stone's Bitch

Strat wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

I think there are a bunch of other similar songs that are a little more gnarly than this song. ITs a fine song and I love old school blues Chuck Berry Stuff...But i dont think this song is that great to begin with.

to be fair, i'm sure they only played it a few times total.

PostPosted: Sat January 13, 2018 3:05 am 
The Master

evenslow wrote:
Strat wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

I mean, its a holiday single song. I wasn't expecting much! Glad they did it

PostPosted: Sat January 13, 2018 3:17 am 
Stone's Bitch

Strat wrote:
evenslow wrote:
Strat wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

Perhaps most importantly, somewhere in rock and roll heaven, Chuck Berry hears a cover of one of his songs and shrugs as he places another hidden camera in Amy Winehouse's private bathroom.

PostPosted: Sat January 13, 2018 3:22 am 
The Master

evenslow wrote:
Strat wrote:
evenslow wrote:
Strat wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

Perhaps most importantly, somewhere in rock and roll heaven, Chuck Berry hears a cover of one of his songs and shrugs as he places another hidden camera in Amy Winehouse's private bathroom.

Yea, PJ Should have covered my ding a ling.

PostPosted: Sat January 13, 2018 3:29 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

The HOF version of Alive will always be special to me. I thought he played it great, but there was just something magical about the fact that these were the same nobody's who were once writing and playing and figuring these songs out in a basement somewhere with no idea what was in the future. It's something specifically Krusen brought, this specific magic that was lightning in a bottle. It gave me the chills.

PostPosted: Sat January 13, 2018 4:24 am 

More and more I’d like PJ to abandon the album process and embrace a release structure of an ep very so often or a song a month. It would take a lot off pressure of them and they may experiment and stumble across some inspiration. Hell, it could be 12 x 50’s covers.

PostPosted: Sat January 13, 2018 4:32 am 
jeeeesus relax already

Tuolumne wrote:
The HOF version of Alive will always be special to me. I thought he played it great, but there was just something magical about the fact that these were the same nobody's who were once writing and playing and figuring these songs out in a basement somewhere with no idea what was in the future. It's something specifically Krusen brought, this specific magic that was lightning in a bottle. It gave me the chills.

Exactly...I remember watching it and feeling the same....wow, those guys started all.

PostPosted: Sat January 13, 2018 4:40 am 
tl;dr

Strat wrote:
evenslow wrote:
Strat wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

I think it's funny that people are so content to hold the holiday single to such a low standard. It is pretty much the only perk to a membership that costs $40; track-for-track, the holiday singles are literally the most expensive music the band releases. Every one of them should be a fucking masterpiece.

I do like the no-fuss production of "Around and Around" -- it's very Riot-Act-y in that regard -- but blues-rock just doesn't suit them. It hardly suits anyone, honestly -- it's a limited musical form whose full potential has long since been reached, and in 2018 it instantly makes any band (particularly a band of rich middle-aged white males rehearsing to perform a highly publicized television special in front of a bunch of other rich white middle-aged males) sound like dinosaurs. I'd rather listen to "Lightning Bolt."

PostPosted: Sat January 13, 2018 4:56 am 
tl;dr

Santa God
Jingle Bells
Santa Cruz
Golden State
Turning Mist
Hawaii '78
No Jeremy
Falling Down
Better Things
Devil Doll
In the Moonlight (live)
All Night (live)
99 Problems (w/Jay Z)
Shattered (featuring Ed on guitar and Jeanne Tripplehorn impersonating Julie Andrews on vocals)
Imagine
Pendulumorphosis
Wishing Well
Redemption Song
Alive (live)
Around and Around

If you have an analog membership, the above list of songs is $440 worth of music.

PostPosted: Sat January 13, 2018 5:10 am 
The Master

Kevin Davis wrote:
Santa God
Jingle Bells
Santa Cruz
Golden State
Turning Mist
Hawaii '78
No Jeremy
Falling Down
Better Things
Devil Doll
In the Moonlight (live)
All Night (live)
99 Problems (w/Jay Z)
Shattered (featuring Ed on guitar and Jeanne Tripplehorn impersonating Julie Andrews on vocals)
Imagine
Pendulumorphosis
Wishing Well
Redemption Song
Alive (live)
Around and Around

If you have an analog membership, the above list of songs is $440 worth of music.

Right but along with your point - very very very very very few collections of songs are worth that much. No matter how good some of their singles might have could have should have been. ...

Hell- orphans vinyl set ain’t worth that much!

I get your point but it’s a cheap shot

PostPosted: Sat January 13, 2018 5:23 am 

Strat wrote:
I get your point but it’s a cheap shot

Not that cheap, Moneybags.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 684 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam