2 Stars
3%
1 Star
No votes

Total votes : 39

Re: Song of the Moment: Faithful

Mon October 02, 2017 10:19 pm

Kevin Davis wrote:
mikejasond wrote:In Hiding is another song that suffers from cheesy lyrics but the soaring chorus redeems it, whereas Faithful has nothing to redeem it. Seriously why is this song so long.

specifically to piss off you and Stip

I fucking knew it!

Tue October 03, 2017 2:58 am

Faithfull and In Hiding are two of my favorite Pearl Jam songs. Everything about them is great, the bridge in Faithfull, the drum fills in In Hiding, the quirky lyrics, Ed's voice, the guitar tones, Jack Irons..... Love these two great songs.

Tue October 03, 2017 3:02 am

Leatherhead wrote:Faithfull and In Hiding are two of my favorite Pearl Jam songs. Everything about them is great, the bridge in Faithfull, the drum fills in In Hiding, the quirky lyrics, Ed's voice, the guitar tones, Jack Irons..... Love these two great songs.

you mean as in #1 and #2?

Tue October 03, 2017 3:03 am

Anders wrote:
theplatypus wrote:"Faithfull" is the perfect length.

Absolutely. :thumbsup:

that's what anders thumb said

Tue October 03, 2017 11:32 am

Leatherhead wrote:Faithfull and In Hiding are two of my favorite Pearl Jam songs. Everything about them is great, the bridge in Faithfull, the drum fills in In Hiding, the quirky lyrics, Ed's voice, the guitar tones, Jack Irons..... Love these two great songs.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tue October 03, 2017 4:57 pm

Love Faithfull. Have always loved it. Even better live. 5 stars.

Tue October 03, 2017 5:20 pm

How can you guys not think that those chorus lyrics are awful/corny

Tue October 03, 2017 5:22 pm

mikejasond wrote:How can you guys not think that those chorus lyrics are awful/corny

Because they can be taken ironically.

Tue October 03, 2017 5:47 pm

evenslow wrote:
mikejasond wrote:How can you guys not think that those chorus lyrics are awful/corny

It baffles me that Kevin Davis thinks MYM is a more hostile song about religion than Faithful

Tue October 03, 2017 5:50 pm

stip wrote:
evenslow wrote:

It baffles me that Kevin Davis thinks MYM is a more hostile song about religion than Faithful

I don't find Faithfull to be really hostile towards religion, but instead dismissive towards it and supportive of humanism.

Tue October 03, 2017 5:51 pm

You might think that's just a semantics thing but I think it's a nuance that helps make the song great.

Tue October 03, 2017 6:57 pm

Then why do PJ fans call themselves the faithful or whatever?

Tue October 03, 2017 8:56 pm

stip wrote:
evenslow wrote:

To be fair, I do think "Faithfull" has some pretty bad lyrics. It has some that I really like -- the whole first passage up to "been stepped on" is a sequence of language I just enjoy and have never quite been able to parse, and the way the final couplet competely repurposes the word "faithful" and then just vanishes into thin air, as though the song simply stops once it runs out of things to say, is one of my favorite PJ song endings ever. But all that hooey about "boxes of fear" and bellyaching about how we "never listen to the voice inside" is proto-"Unthought Known" crap straight out of the Deepak Chopra toolkit.

Honestly it's been so long since I've even listened to "MYM" that I can't formulate an argument against it.

Wed October 04, 2017 5:03 pm

Faithful saved this band.

I was at a real loss on Monday, just staring at my ipod after work trying to figure which song would make things feel a little better and I remembered what I had read hear on RM earlier that day (not your words Stip :) Faithful hit me just right. Made things a little better. What a perfect song!

Wed October 04, 2017 5:10 pm

Maybe my favorite intro in PJ's catalog (next to Go). Jack's delicate cymbals and rim shots, that gentle guitar strumming...perfection.

Wed October 04, 2017 6:18 pm

PJ is reading RM:

Thu October 05, 2017 6:17 pm

really like this tune

Sat October 07, 2017 3:42 pm

Faithful is probably my favorite song by PJ..

kp

Tue October 10, 2017 4:43 am

Faithful is awesome. All the stars.

Wed October 11, 2017 8:38 am

Can you please go back and spell it correctly
Post a reply