1 Star
No votes

Total votes : 39

Song of the Moment: Faithful

Fri December 28, 2012 7:06 pm

old threads archived here

Re: Song of the Moment: Faithful

Thu October 10, 2013 12:44 am

i don't remember the last week that went by that didn't feature a spin of this rather sublime tune

Thu October 10, 2013 12:46 am

When I first bought the album I thought it was an attempt at an old anthem that lacked balls. It seems so long ago now, because this song is perfect :heartbeat:

Thu October 10, 2013 12:47 am

harmless wrote: this song is perfect

it really is

Thu October 10, 2013 12:47 am

--- wrote:

it really is

Every little thing is just tops.

Thu October 10, 2013 12:49 am

cutuphalfdead wrote:
--- wrote:

it really is

Every little thing is just tops.

i don't know how, but i still hear new stuff pretty much every time i listen to it on a good pair of headphones

Thu October 10, 2013 12:50 am

Tis a good one that I love more and more every year

Thu October 10, 2013 12:51 am

yeah this little ditty really has aged well

Thu October 10, 2013 1:02 am

harmless wrote:When I first bought the album I thought it was an attempt at an old anthem that lacked balls. It seems so long ago now, because this song is perfect :heartbeat:

I feel that way even today, 15 years after the fact.

Thu October 10, 2013 1:02 am

let me make a poll so I can give this song 3 stars.

Thu October 10, 2013 1:05 am

stip wrote:
harmless wrote:When I first bought the album I thought it was an attempt at an old anthem that lacked balls. It seems so long ago now, because this song is perfect :heartbeat:

I feel that way even today, 15 years after the fact.

That's understandable. I don't worship Yield like some here; I think its second half is about as messy as Lightning Bolt's. But it's longer, so its missteps aren't as obvious.

Thu October 10, 2013 1:05 am

stip wrote:let me make a poll so I can give this song 3 stars.

No! 5 stars man.

Thu October 10, 2013 1:06 am

it's early to do comparisons, but while I think the high spots on Yield are certainly more impressive than the high spots on L-bolt, I find L-bolt on the whole to be a much more consistent and satisfying listen.

Thu October 10, 2013 1:07 am

The song gets 5 stars, sunny-side up.

Thu October 10, 2013 1:35 am

harmless wrote:I think its second half is about as messy as Lightning Bolt's. But it's longer, so its missteps aren't as obvious.

What do you think is messy about the second half? I enjoy the second half more than the first half.

Thu October 10, 2013 1:39 am

Lament wrote:
harmless wrote:I think its second half is about as messy as Lightning Bolt's. But it's longer, so its missteps aren't as obvious.

What do you think is messy about the second half? I enjoy the second half more than the first half.

It's full of great songs, but a few I don't enjoy as much, and they all seem to become far more "eclectic" in the same way these are; all over the place, stylistically. I don't enjoy MFC and In Hiding nearly as much as most people. I don't get why Red Dot needs to be there (and I'm a big apologist for the "weird" Vitalogy songs) and... ATY is pretty strange as an album closer to this album, even though I love the song itself. The album is quite like Lightning Bolt in the sense that it deliberately puts deeper, emotional moments right up against sillier ones.

Thu October 10, 2013 1:46 am

Fair enough. I feel like there's a nice narrative going on (probably inadvertently) from MFC through All Those Yesterdays. They almost work as an EP/mini-album of their own to me. You've got a dude who leaves everything behind, longing for "nowhere" in MFC, finds his "nowhere" and searches for peace and tranquility there in Low Light, emerges rejuvenated and empowered in In Hiding, finds that the things he discovered in Low Light and In Hiding present a deeper set of issues to contemplate as he rejoins the rest of the world and tries to strike a new balance between the "nowhere" and "everywhere" from MFC in Push Me, Pull Me, and ultimately makes a tentative peace with his new found understanding of the complexities of the human existence in All Those Yesterdays.

I dunno, it makes sense to me. Like I said, I don't think it's intentional, but I enjoy it.

Thu October 10, 2013 1:54 am

Cool. I'm a huge fan of Yield, so I can listen to it all and enjoy it even though all that is true for me.

Thu October 10, 2013 2:07 am

in my all time top 5. still remember getting chills the first time listening to it when the chorus kicks in, loved it instantly.

Thu October 10, 2013 3:30 pm

stip wrote:it's early to do comparisons, but while I think the high spots on Yield are certainly more impressive than the high spots on L-bolt, I find L-bolt on the whole to be a much more consistent and satisfying listen.

I agree with your views pretty often, but you are just wrong about Yield.
Post a reply