Don't go on me
Don't go on me
Don't go on me
Please...
Don't you want me
Don't go on me
Please...
Don't go on me

One of their greatest openers of all times, as well as one of their greatest heavier songs. Lyrically this song is nothing special but go is not about the lyrics as much as it iss about getting punched in the face by the music. I love the rolling buildup. It's like the song is getting away from them; as if it is so heavy it takes a few tries until they are all on the same page. I wish they would do the intro live. And once the song kicks into gear it is just relentless. Awesome bass line (it just rumbles through the whole song, and it is a testament to how excellent it is that you can follow it while Mike is demanding so much attention), some searing solos, and some great work by dave A (I miss his sound). Musically Pearl jam doesn't have many songs more bad ass than this.

Vocally Eddie is pretty good here. His vocals have the unhinged, choked quality that would really go on to define their rockers through Yield, the screams reaching the upper register and getting away from here. Too much rage for one body.

Lyrically I'm not totally certain what Eddie is doing here. I wish the words he's mumble screaming before the choruses were clearer. That might help. The song seems in part to be a plea for a lover to stay, a gradual recognition that he had been abusive and is sorry, and increasingly furious with himself for fucking the relationship up.

Part of me also thinks the song might be about passing along AIDS or some other kind of STD, and confronting the person he did it to. In that case the two verses may have been from different points of views. The first verse is the apology, and the second the reaction from the person he infected

But I'm not sure. I'e never been that comfortable with what I've seen on the web about what Ed is saying between choruses, and I'm not sure about the second verse either. I used to think the word nemesis was nurses, and pulled the covers overhead instead of over him, and both of those change the meaning of the song.

Other people's thoughts?

Either way,this still sears live, and remains one of their all time greats. Once upon a time I would have given this one five stars, but I'm going to give it four. It's a four and a half for me, but on its way down.

old thread archived here

Re: Song of the Moment: Go

Tue January 01, 2013 3:05 pm

Top three for me. Man I love this song.

Fri September 27, 2013 1:13 am

I checked my deluxe set and nowhere does it mention Dave's Song.

Fri September 27, 2013 1:16 am

Thejambi wrote:I checked my deluxe set and nowhere does it mention Dave's Song.

Seriously I'm starting to doubt he ever wrote it at all.

Fri September 27, 2013 1:18 am

Isn't this song about a broken down truck?

Anyway, yeah, this is the archetypal "heavy" Pearl Jam song, and whenever people ask why Pearl Jam don't sound like *that* anymore, this is the song they're thinking about. My band and I used to play the intro and the first few bars over and over again during band practice because it was so fun to play. We never bothered learning the rest though, we just treated that intro as a warm-up.

Fri September 27, 2013 1:19 am

What a great reintroduction to Pearl Jam after everyone played the shit out of Ten.

Fri September 27, 2013 1:29 am

Probably my co number one.

Fri September 27, 2013 1:32 am

E.H. Ruddock wrote:Probably my co number one.

With...?

Fri September 27, 2013 1:37 am

Tremor Christ

Fri September 27, 2013 1:38 am

Dave's Song?

Is this a joke?

Fri September 27, 2013 1:38 am

i love everything about this song. i actually still remember the first time i ever heard it. stip pretty much nailed it. this song kicks you in the ass musically. if you find yourself physically tired, its a good song to listen to. even the title to this one is perfect, a two letter verb that has an urgency to it. five stars.

Fri September 27, 2013 1:56 am

EJ wrote:Dave's Song?

Is this a joke?

I'm starting to think so maybe.

Fri September 27, 2013 2:02 am

I have a plan to get them to open with this in Charlotte. I can't say what it is just yet but I think it's gonna work.

Fri September 27, 2013 2:06 am

E.H. Ruddock wrote:I have a plan to get them to open with this in Charlotte. I can't say what it is just yet but I think it's gonna work.

I'd rather Release->Go

Fri September 27, 2013 2:25 am

You know the tunnel of vision part? I always heard that as civilization...took...time.

Fri September 27, 2013 2:43 am

Five stars. Immense. This track is just a solid brick wall. There's not a crack anywhere. Great evidence that Jeff, Stone and Dave didn't just lock in together, they melded together seamlessly. Not just one of the best album openers from PJ but one of the best ever.

Fri September 27, 2013 2:44 am

E.H. Ruddock wrote:Tremor Christ

And Go. You, sir, have truly magnificent taste.

Fri September 27, 2013 2:48 am

LetMeSleep wrote:

Plus his love of Mandy Patinkin

Fri September 27, 2013 3:10 am

cutuphalfdead wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:I have a plan to get them to open with this in Charlotte. I can't say what it is just yet but I think it's gonna work.

I'd rather Release->Go

Well that's not part of my plan Pete.

Fri September 27, 2013 3:12 am

Cleverman wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:

Plus his love of Mandy Patinkin

Yeah but who doesn't love him?
Post a reply