The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Rate Go
5 Stars: PPPPLLLLLEEEEEEAAAAAASSSSSEEEE 73%  73%  [ 37 ]
4 Stars: Don't 22%  22%  [ 11 ]
3 Stars: Go 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
2 Stars: On 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
1 Star: Me 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
0 Stars: ... 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 51
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Go
PostPosted: Fri September 27, 2013 3:20 am 
Broken Tamborine

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Cleverman wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Tremor Christ

And Go. You, sir, have truly magnificent taste.

Plus his love of Mandy Patinkin

Yeah but who doesn't love him?

People with no soul. I love his performance of Ronnie Dobbs' "Y'all Are Brutalizin' Me"

PostPosted: Fri September 27, 2013 3:59 am 
AnalLog

For the win.

PostPosted: Fri September 27, 2013 7:23 am 
Future Drummer

I really like the song as an opener. I don't like it as much as it's own song, but I can say that for most Pearl Jam openers besides Once and Life Wasted.

I have though heard some recent live versions on PJ Radio and some of them have been legit embarrassing.

PostPosted: Fri September 27, 2013 10:51 am 
Broken Tamborine

harmless wrote:
Isn't this song about a broken down truck?

Anyway, yeah, this is the archetypal "heavy" Pearl Jam song, and whenever people ask why Pearl Jam don't sound like *that* anymore, this is the song they're thinking about. My band and I used to play the intro and the first few bars over and over again during band practice because it was so fun to play. We never bothered learning the rest though, we just treated that intro as a warm-up.

yeah I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that while the lyrics appear to be referencing an abusive relationship it's actually about a car breaking down! Kinda puts a whole different complexion on it.

PostPosted: Fri September 27, 2013 10:56 am 
Broken Tamborine

evenslow wrote:
EJ wrote:
Dave's Song?

Is this a joke?

I'm starting to think so maybe.

He wrote the main riff - there was a Stone interview where he mentioned that Dave and Stone switched instruments for a jam and the main riff came out of that. Pretty sure that means that Stone would have then finessed the song and penned the bridge/chorus.

PostPosted: Fri September 27, 2013 11:01 am 
Future Drummer

I like to believe Eddie told Dave it was about a truck just to fuck with him. "It's about a truck Dave now leave me alone"

PostPosted: Fri September 27, 2013 11:04 am 
10Club Complaint Department

Well, if it was about a truck, that would be the same trick being pulled off as STBC (about records, not drugs or Satan worship) and Oceans (about a surfboard / surfing).

PostPosted: Fri September 27, 2013 11:09 am 
Future Drummer

Yeah probably. It just amuses me to think of Eddie fucking with Dave at every turn. Wasn't oceans about his girlfriend though?

PostPosted: Fri September 27, 2013 11:11 am 

Possibly, I'm just going by what he said after he played it on Unplugged. It might've been a joke. But Ed's always been really good at an extended metaphor which sounds complex but ends up being about something fun or banal. Lightning Bolt is about a song / inspiration / belief, or anything else you want, really, so it's another song in that category.

PostPosted: Fri September 27, 2013 11:17 am 
Broken Tamborine

...and of course the same trick Minnie Ripperton pulled with Lovin' You, which sounds like a romantic love song, but is actually about her all-consuming addiction to smack.

PostPosted: Fri September 27, 2013 11:19 am 

...and The Darkness' "Growing On Me", which sounds like a song about a new love but is in fact about an STD. The extended metaphor trick is a good songwriting tool and I kind of wish Ed would write more of them. I wonder if Lightning Bolt will have any others after LB itself.

PostPosted: Fri September 27, 2013 11:22 am 
Future Drummer

Ah yeah its probably about both, though nowadays I'd assume he's mostly thinking about surfing lol. On unplugged he says ' just a little song I wrote about my surfboard, no really its about this person called beth who I'm hopefully gonna see after the show"

PostPosted: Fri September 27, 2013 11:25 am 

stupidmop wrote:
Ah yeah its probably about both, though nowadays I'd assume he's mostly thinking about surfing lol. On unplugged he says ' just a little song I wrote about my surfboard, no really its about this person called beth who I'm hopefully gonna see after the show"

Oh really? It must've been cut for TV or something because I just watched it on Youtube and he only says the surfboard bit, unless I'm going deaf, which is possible.

I don't mind songs about, or drawing from, surfing. I just want them to be better than Big Wave.

PostPosted: Fri September 27, 2013 11:26 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

harmless wrote:
stupidmop wrote:

Oh really? It must've been cut for TV or something because I just watched it on Youtube and he only says the surfboard bit, unless I'm going deaf, which is possible.

they cut it on the ten deluxe version because he mentions beth.

PostPosted: Fri September 27, 2013 11:27 am 

WtOB? wrote:
harmless wrote:
stupidmop wrote:

That's... kind of weird.

PostPosted: Fri September 27, 2013 11:29 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

harmless wrote:
WtOB? wrote:
harmless wrote:
stupidmop wrote:

That's... kind of weird.

they also edited the end of oceans where he says "ohhh beethhh" so that he just says "ohhh eth"

PostPosted: Fri September 27, 2013 11:29 am 
Broken Tamborine

harmless wrote:
WtOB? wrote:
harmless wrote:
stupidmop wrote:

That's... kind of weird.

Is that why Angel was also ommitted from Lost Dogs?

PostPosted: Fri September 27, 2013 11:32 am 
Future Drummer

It was cut on the tv version I think. There's a fully uncut version on YouTube somewhere with a few extra bits like guitar tuning and ed talking to the crowd more.

And yeah I think every mention of her has been edited out on all official releases. I think. Which is a little strange, but eehhh, I just assume shit ended rather badly there.

PostPosted: Fri September 27, 2013 11:33 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

this is the original "love song about my surf board" bit:

PostPosted: Fri September 27, 2013 11:34 am 

Maybe the omissions aren't that weird if Ed's asked for them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam