The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Side Tracked

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Best song on Into the Wild
Setting Forth 11%  11%  [ 7 ]
No Ceiling 10%  10%  [ 6 ]
Far Behind 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
Rise 11%  11%  [ 7 ]
Long Nights 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
Hard Sun 16%  16%  [ 10 ]
Society 21%  21%  [ 13 ]
The Wolf 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Tuolumne 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
End of the Road 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Guaranteed 13%  13%  [ 8 ]
NO MORE!!!!!!!!! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 61
 Post subject: Re: Into the Wild: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Sat January 23, 2016 9:46 pm 
The Master

i think the songs are perfectly fleshed out. It fits the mood of the story and flow of the film and actually a nice little journey through the record.

I love this album and actually just watched the movie this morning after spinning it last night.

PostPosted: Sat January 23, 2016 9:49 pm 
AnalLog

Hard Sun is the one that fits the pop song format.
The rest of the songs don't really come off us under worked when listened to in the context of the album.

PostPosted: Sat January 23, 2016 10:07 pm 
Rank This Poster

Mine wrote:
The rest of the songs don't really come off us under worked when listened to in the context of the album.

It's less about it being a pop song format that's appealing and more that it feels like a completed thought. Far Behind, Rise and Guaranteed do as well.

PostPosted: Sat January 23, 2016 10:10 pm 
Rank This Poster

dimejinky99 wrote:
digster wrote:
The big winner is Hard Sun. The rest is a little threadbare, although as others have said it's a bit constrained due to the soundtrack format. But some of the other stuff comes off feeling like half an idea.

Hey Dig..you have a week

write a complete soundtrack..screw it, have a month..

Oh good, this version of music criticism. As an aside, at no point did I say it was a bad record.

PostPosted: Sat January 23, 2016 10:19 pm 
AnalLog

digster wrote:
Mine wrote:

It's less about it being a pop song format that's appealing and more that it feels like a completed thought. Far Behind, Rise and Guaranteed do as well.

I think only the 2 instrumentals have some of the uncompleted thought feel but they still work within the record. I mean the album flows nicely as it is.
I remember Vedder addressed the length of the songs, saying they were written for the length of the scenes they were being used in.

PostPosted: Sun January 24, 2016 12:08 am 
The worst

Hard Sun is an amazing performance from top to bottom

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun January 24, 2016 12:14 am 
what on earth am I talking about

Glens writing and Cornell's producing..everyone else is fired except Ed & Jeff

PostPosted: Sun January 24, 2016 1:05 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

it's happening dime is breaking

PostPosted: Sun January 24, 2016 2:59 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

He didn't even write hard sun

PostPosted: Sun January 24, 2016 3:58 am 
10Club Complaint Department

Yep. The 2 best songs are covers. Woo.

PostPosted: Sun January 24, 2016 4:44 am 
The Master

Have I already told this story? I can't remember...

In 2007, I spent two months in the mountains of Idaho, playing caretaker to my great uncle's decrepit ranch. The town has a population of 30 people. There's no phone, no tv reception, no internet, no radio. I brought a stereo and an ipod loaded with music.

The night before I drove up the mountain, my ipod was stolen from my car. I went to the local record store and bought Into the Wild, Born in the USA, and Fleetwood Mac's Tusk. These three albums kept me company for two months straight.

I love Into the Wild. I think it's probably the last really great album we're going to hear from Ed for many years.

PostPosted: Sun January 24, 2016 4:49 am 

It's a good listen but let's not get carried away. It's a soundtrack with incidental (and at times it seems accidental) tracks and 2 of it's best songs are covers.

PostPosted: Sun January 24, 2016 4:58 am 
The Master

LetMeSleep wrote:
It's a good listen but let's not get carried away. It's a soundtrack with incidental (and at times it seems accidental) tracks and 2 of it's best songs are covers.

Nope. Those little incidental pieces took on a deeper meaning when I was in the mountains. I think he was given a job -- to communicate a certain isolation and pensiveness in nature -- and I think he executed it beautifully. They're not chest-thumping anthems, but it's great music that more than fulfilled its purpose.

PostPosted: Sun January 24, 2016 5:27 am 

tragabigzanda wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:

Nope. Those little incidental pieces took on a deeper meaning when I was in the mountains. I think he was given a job -- to communicate a certain isolation and pensiveness in nature -- and I think he executed it beautifully. They're not chest-thumping anthems, but it's great music that more than fulfilled its purpose.

Fair enough. Vedder did do a good job.

PostPosted: Sun January 24, 2016 5:30 am 
The Master

LetMeSleep wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:

I'm unaccustomed to such agreeability on RM.
Now I need Chud to tell me I'm stupid.

PostPosted: Sun January 24, 2016 5:39 am 

tragabigzanda wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:

I'm unaccustomed to such agreeability on RM.
Now I need Chud to tell me I'm stupid.

Sorry I had to do some work and just hit submit.

Vedder does do a good job on the soundtrack and if the incidental pieces sometimes meander and seem accidental to me but not to others then the issue is with me. Or he did a great job of capturing the moment.

I don't have a problem with the soundtrack. My problem lies with the praise as it doesn't seem to be that praiseworthy a composition. Sure he nailed the brief for an intimate soundtrack.

PostPosted: Sun January 24, 2016 5:43 am 
Rank This Poster

Mine wrote:
digster wrote:
Mine wrote:

I think only the 2 instrumentals have some of the uncompleted thought feel but they still work within the record. I mean the album flows nicely as it is.
I remember Vedder addressed the length of the songs, saying they were written for the length of the scenes they were being used in.

The instrumentals are fine; End of the Road doesn't quite hit, but it's ok. The length of the songs isn't really an issue either; there's plenty of great songs that begin and resolve perfectly within the span of a minute or two. Some of them just feel half-finished, regardless of length. And no doubt that Eddie was slightly handicapped by writing to film, but I do get the impression he thought and hoped the record would work independent of the film. Like I said, it's not a disaster or anything. Just didn't bowl me over.

PostPosted: Sun January 24, 2016 1:04 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

The first 3 songs especially are deserving of another verse/chorus or anything really

PostPosted: Sun January 24, 2016 4:11 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

The vignette pieces would be just fine, if there were more meat around them. This soundtrack has such great sound and atmosphere, I wish like hell he'd written more pieces to fill it in.

If you're gonna make a record of it, there's no reason that you have to say "well, that's enough for the film, so I'm not allowed to record any more." And Christ, to tag those fucking turkeys onto the end instead, when you had that sound going....

PostPosted: Sun January 24, 2016 5:05 pm 
Stone's Bitch

The knee-jerk reaction to this is that some of the songs need another verse/chorus. Then you get used to it and realize it's a fucking little perfect record that communicates exactly what it intends to. Does nothing but grow with age.

My favorite song is totally illustrative of this: No Ceiling. A 90 second stroll through the woods. Skip some fucking rocks and play it again, friend.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Side Tracked