The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

How much of a Pearl Jam hipster are you?
5 Stars 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
4 Stars 23%  23%  [ 3 ]
3 Stars 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
2 Stars 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
1 Star 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Immortality is the last song on Vitalogy 38%  38%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 13
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Hey Foxymophandlemama, That's Me
PostPosted: Sat April 30, 2016 1:42 pm 
The Master

Kevin Davis wrote:
I would be curious to see a list of long wanky tracks like this on albums preceding Vitalogy:

The Beatles - "Revolution 9"
Grateful Dead - "What's Become of the Baby"

Honestly "Stupid Mop" doesn't feel too terribly far removed from tracks like "Endless Nameless" and "Gallons of Rubbing Alcohol..." -- sonically different perhaps, but functionally similar (i.e. "long, weird, noisy album enders with indistinct song structures").

NY's "Arc" was probably inspiration for "Stupid Mop" at some point as well, I'd imagine:

What others are out there?

But Gallons of Alcohol came at the end of an already abbrassive album. Come to think of it, In Utero as a whole was way more of an about-face than tacking Stupid Mop onto the end of Vitalogy.

PostPosted: Sat April 30, 2016 11:28 pm 
Future Drummer

tragabigzanda wrote:
I love this song. It's weird, it's off-the-cuff, it's got a cool groove by Jack and Jeff. Perfect album closer for Vitalogy.

It's a great introductory experiment for Jack-era PJ...

and, yeah... this soundscape is right where it belongs. It's not hurting anyone, it's creative, it's interesting, it's curious, and it's fun to hear at the end of the masterpiece that IS Vitalogy!

The great thing is, for all you naysayers, you can just hit the 'stop' button and not miss a thing. Everyone wins :hooray:

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:31 am 
Future Drummer

Kevin Davis wrote:
I would be curious to see a list of long wanky tracks like this on albums preceding Vitalogy:

Honestly "Stupid Mop" doesn't feel too terribly far removed from tracks like "Endless Nameless" and "Gallons of Rubbing Alcohol..." -- sonically different perhaps, but functionally similar (i.e. "long, weird, noisy album enders with indistinct song structures").

NY's "Arc" was probably inspiration for "Stupid Mop" at some point as well, I'd imagine:

Side Four of Frank Zappa & The Mothers' "Freak Out" which was released unfinished because the record company wouldn't give them any more money.

Same group: "Weasels Ripped My Flesh" from the album of the same name which was a response to an uninterested audience. Both of these examples can be forgiven when taken in context.

One side of a Love album is a long boring jam.

The Rolling Stones' "Goin' Home", which goes absolutely nowhere, and closes the US version of "Aftermath".

I guess this kind of thing was commonplace in the 60's when bands needed to fill space.

Though it could be argued that "Revolution 9" actually serves an artistic purpose compared to most of this other stuff.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 1:05 pm 
The Master

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

Side Four of Frank Zappa & The Mothers' "Freak Out" which was released unfinished because the record company wouldn't give them any more money.

Same group: "Weasels Ripped My Flesh" from the album of the same name which was a response to an uninterested audience. Both of these examples can be forgiven when taken in context.

One side of a Love album is a long boring jam.

The Rolling Stones' "Goin' Home", which goes absolutely nowhere, and closes the US version of "Aftermath".

I guess this kind of thing was commonplace in the 60's when bands needed to fill space.

Though it could be argued that "Revolution 9" actually serves an artistic purpose compared to most of this other stuff.

I was gonna post the Zappa stuff, but didn't feel like typing it out. You a big fan? I love the Flo & Eddie era so much.

Also, to KD's question -- Parts of Bowie's Low; parts of Hendrix's Axis: Bold as Love; and all of Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:44 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

To add to the list:

Neil Young - Trans and Arc

PostPosted: Fri December 27, 2019 2:16 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

joostone wrote:
Found on reddit:

Quote:
Hey Foxymophandlemama, That's Me (A.K.A. Stupidmop) original video found

A bunch of people said that the voices in Foxy were from Frontline and an episode called A Matter of the Mind, but no one appeared to have actually digitized the episode. I have found the episode and I can confirm that is true and I have uploaded it unlisted on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R18bky9RRXs

At approximately 29:10 is when the Foxy lyrics start for example. Also at 38:25 she says "hey foxymophandlemama, that's me".
If the episode has already been discovered and digitized then I'm sorry, as far as I knew people have still been searching for the episode online.

Wow!

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam