No votes

Total votes : 163

Re: Binaural: Official Album Thread

Sat October 28, 2017 9:30 pm

durdencommatyler wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:The people who connected with this thing and defended it from day one are geniuses with impeccable taste that the rest of us should humbly bow to and shine the shoes of.

Yet you still won't budge on Habit.

God, that song is the worst. It's probably the single song that keeps Binaural ahead of No Code. I'm serious.

No that's I'm Open.

I'm Open is also up there, yeah. It definitely hurts the record. But I figure I'm Open and Soon Forget are about equal. There's nothing on Binaural as bad a Habit.

Soon Forget is much better than I'm Open.

Sat October 28, 2017 9:30 pm

durdencommatyler wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:The people who connected with this thing and defended it from day one are geniuses with impeccable taste that the rest of us should humbly bow to and shine the shoes of.

God, that song is the worst. It's probably the single song that keeps Binaural ahead of No Code. I'm serious.

No that's I'm Open.

I'm Open is also up there, yeah. It definitely hurts the record. But I figure I'm Open and Soon Forget are about equal. There's nothing on Binaural as bad a Habit.

The last 1:30 of Habit is FANTASTIC.

Sat October 28, 2017 9:45 pm

PHATJ wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

No that's I'm Open.

The whole thing is :nice:

Sat October 28, 2017 9:51 pm

cutuphalfdead wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

No that's I'm Open.

Soon Forget is much better than I'm Open.

It's about on par. Both are equal on their respective albums, at least.

Sat October 28, 2017 9:52 pm

Birds in Hell wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

No that's I'm Open.

The whole thing is :nice:

The whole thing is :throwup:

Sat October 28, 2017 9:55 pm

Habit is a great song. Its PJ garage at its finest.

Binaural is a masterpiece.

Sat October 28, 2017 10:04 pm

I like "Habit," "I'm Open," and "Soon Forget."

The monologue part in "I'm Open" is pretty dopey, but the second half is really lovely. The "No Code" production at its finest.

Sat October 28, 2017 10:22 pm

I like Soon Forget a lot, I like I'm Open well enough, and Habit can eat it.

Sat October 28, 2017 11:18 pm

And you guys give me shit for not liking NAIS.

Sat October 28, 2017 11:20 pm

NOTHING AS IT SEEMS IS GODDAMN BRILLIANT YOU RUBE

Sat October 28, 2017 11:25 pm

wease wrote:And you guys give me shit for not liking NAIS.

Don't get me started, wease.

Sun October 29, 2017 3:46 pm

I don't see how it could ever be called a masterpiece by any stretch. But there's some really worthwhile stuff in there. If you ever get sick of the band, you put this one on and feel like you're listening to an alternate version. It touches a totally different part of the brain. A part of the brain one can argue PJ is not the best at, and perhaps there's other bands that can do it better, but this a totally different take on their songwriting and performing.

Cerebral and dark stuff. The name of the album is difficult, the cover art is difficult, and the songs are hard to penetrate. But there's some really rewarding stuff, IF you are in the right headspace for it. Given world events and personal events, I've found myself a little disconnected, and this album feels disconnected in good and bad ways.

It's the band at a crossroads: career crossroads (drop in popularity), personal crossroads (Mike's addictions, Ed's marriage, new drummer). songwriting crossroads, etc. And Roskilde put the bow around this complex mess of an album.

Sun October 29, 2017 4:10 pm

It took 9 years and a live rendition of NAIS for me to truly appreciate it. Berlin 09 or 10

Outstanding version.

Sun October 29, 2017 4:22 pm

There's something about the production on Binaural that makes me imagine the band hunkered down in a bomb shelter somewhere, dispatching songs to those stuck on the surface where the bombs are about to drop. It almost plays like a time capsule from right before the end of the world.

Sun October 29, 2017 4:24 pm

It's almost like they were hunkered down in a studio while Seattle exploded in civil unrest.

Sun October 29, 2017 4:27 pm

cutuphalfdead wrote:It's almost like they were hunkered down in a studio while Seattle exploded in civil unrest.

As opposed to now, where they are hunkered down at their vacation homes re-watching the Cubs win the series as the world really does end.
Last edited by tragabigzanda on Sun October 29, 2017 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun October 29, 2017 9:18 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:There's something about the production on Binaural that makes me imagine the band hunkered down in a bomb shelter somewhere, dispatching songs to those stuck on the surface where the bombs are about to drop. It almost plays like a time capsule from right before the end of the world.

Cool imagen!
I love Binaural´s production. Its awesome.

Sun October 29, 2017 9:22 pm

Year on year I find I get more out of Binaural, Riot Act and ST than the rest.

Tue November 07, 2017 5:28 am

Just fuckin rocked the fuck outta the first 4.5 songs of this shit while driving home from sushi while about half drunk. Was so fuckin awesome. God damn I love this fuckin album. Takes me places no other album even gets close to.

Tue November 07, 2017 5:29 am

Don't drink and drive
Post a reply