The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1409 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 71  Next

Rate Binaural
5 Stars: A top tier album 50%  50%  [ 82 ]
4 Stars: A very good album 36%  36%  [ 59 ]
3 Stars: Average 10%  10%  [ 17 ]
2: Stars: I expect more 3%  3%  [ 5 ]
1 Star: Embarrassing 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 163
 Post subject: Re: Binaural: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Sun January 15, 2017 8:27 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

dimejinky99 wrote:
Ive fallen out of love with pearl jam. And I don't know why.

Elaborate.

PostPosted: Sun January 15, 2017 8:28 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

dimejinky99 wrote:
Ive fallen out of love with pearl jam. And I don't know why.

Yeah i know a couple of friends who are like that too...one of them followed PJ in europe in 06, so im talking about big fans. After that, it was over for them..they cant reconnect with the band anymore.

Im lucky i guess...i have my moments were i dont listen to them and suddenly im blasting boots and studio albums like crazy.

PostPosted: Sun January 15, 2017 9:29 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

I just don't listen to them anymore

Such an important and constant part of my life all these years. Now I just got put off by constant milking of us via merch and vinyl blah blah.

I've probably had a peak pearl jam experience. Got to meet and hang out with Ed a few times, seen the band live 38 times all that.

Just the music isn't speaking to me anymore. So maybe I grew up? I always wondered did pearl jam and my love for them block me listening with open ears to other bands. And holding me back. Now I don't even listen to them. So what is it?

I'll go see them if they come. Cos I get to see my touring pals. And have a great night. But there's nothing original or new in it. It's repeating a night I've had 38 other times. With a severely harsh drop in quality of experience.

Rambling. Sorry.

PostPosted: Sun January 15, 2017 10:30 pm 
Rank This Poster

dimejinky99 wrote:
So maybe I grew up?

This is silly. Everybody that still listens and enjoys PJ's music hasn't grown up?

PostPosted: Sun January 15, 2017 10:51 pm 

Leatherhead wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
So maybe I grew up?

This is silly. Everybody that still listens and enjoys PJ's music hasn't grown up?

I meant that in a personal sense. My own love of PJ always felt like I wouldn't let anything else in. They're my favourite. Even when all the signs and reviews and peers around me are saying dave. They're shit. I wouldn't leave and accept the point.

PostPosted: Mon January 16, 2017 12:19 am 

I go through long stretches (like many, many months) where I may not listen to a single PJ song, and I don't miss it. Then, for whatever reason (often because of a topic on RM) I'll hear a song and it will spark my interest again. That may only last a day or two, sometimes it might last several weeks. But I always come back. And for me it's all about the music. There is just a certain musical *something* that PJ does for me that no other band has quite ever done. I can't put my finger on what that is, but it is unique to PJ.

The last decade or so has obviously been far less compelling or interesting than the first 15 years, but those first seven albums are incredibly special to me. I don't think that will ever change. I've seen the band far less than many (only five times), so my love of the band is much more about my emotional and visceral connection to studio recordings than it has ever been about the live experience. I too have had times when I wonder if I really care about the band anymore, but then a song like Sleight of Hand will come on while I'm on a long drive at night and I become completely engrossed in its haunting, dark, beauty. It is moments like these that I realize just how much I love so many of the songs I often take for granted, and much of my passion is restored. Not like it was when I was 14, but there is still something truly special and unique there. It is something only PJ has ever fully accomplished for me.

I realize I'll never feel the way I did when I was 16 and laying in front of my speakers while listening to Present Tense for the first time, or how I felt when I was 12 and heard Daughter for the first time while riding the bus home from school. Those moments are etched in my mind forever. But many things (like music) can mean THE WORLD to a kid that is just trying to figure out the world for himself. I'm 36 years old now. I have kids, a career, a mortgage. There are priorities and people in my life now that fill some of the emotional holes that music once did. So have I outgrown the music? Maybe. But I think it has more to do with my life being fuller and more meaningful now than it was when I was a teen and I was searching for meaning and PJs music was on that journey with me.

PostPosted: Mon January 16, 2017 12:31 am 

PHATJ wrote:
I go through long stretches (like many, many months) where I may not listen to a single PJ song, and I don't miss it. Then, for whatever reason (often because of a topic on RM) I'll hear a song and it will spark my interest again. That may only last a day or two, sometimes it might last several weeks. But I always come back. And for me it's all about the music. There is just a certain musical *something* that PJ does for me that no other band has quite ever done. I can't put my finger on what that is, but it is unique to PJ.

The last decade or so has obviously been far less compelling or interesting than the first 15 years, but those first seven albums are incredibly special to me. I don't think that will ever change. I've seen the band far less than many (only five times), so my love of the band is much more about my emotional and visceral connection to studio recordings than it has ever been about the live experience. I too have had times when I wonder if I really care about the band anymore, but then a song like Sleight of Hand will come on while I'm on a long drive at night and I will realize just how much I love so many of the songs I often take for granted, and much of my passion is restored.

I realize I'll never feel the way I did when I was 16 and laying in front of my speakers while listening to Present Tense for the first time, or how I felt when I was 12 and heard Daughter for the first time while riding the bus home from school. Those moments are etched in my mind forever. But many things (like music) can mean THE WORLD to a kid that is just trying to figure out the world for himself. I'm 36 years old now. I have kids, a career, a mortgage. There are priorities and people in my life now that fill some of the emotional holes that music once did. So have I outgrown the music? Maybe. But I think it has more to do with my life being fuller and more meaningful now than it was when I was a teen and I was searching for meaning and PJs music was on that journey with me.

Perfectly put.
Thank you.
I'm gonna listen to pj all day tomorrow and read this in the park while I walk my dog. I wanna remember my love.

PostPosted: Mon January 16, 2017 12:32 am 

dimejinky99 wrote:
PHATJ wrote:

The last decade or so has obviously been far less compelling or interesting than the first 15 years, but those first seven albums are incredibly special to me. I don't think that will ever change. I've seen the band far less than many (only five times), so my love of the band is much more about my emotional and visceral connection to studio recordings than it has ever been about the live experience. I too have had times when I wonder if I really care about the band anymore, but then a song like Sleight of Hand will come on while I'm on a long drive at night and I will realize just how much I love so many of the songs I often take for granted, and much of my passion is restored.

Perfectly put.
Thank you.
I'm gonna listen to pj all day tomorrow and read this in the park while I walk my dog. I wanna remember my love.

:heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat:

PostPosted: Mon January 16, 2017 12:23 pm 
The worst

That was a nice post, phatj

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon January 16, 2017 1:20 pm 
Production Police

Yea phatj, that was a good'un.

PostPosted: Mon January 16, 2017 1:59 pm 
The Master

Wonderfully worded...

PostPosted: Mon January 16, 2017 2:51 pm 
The worst

Like many people, thanks to work and especially young kids I just have so much less time in my life for music. Plus Pearl Jam hasn't done anything new in a long time. My interest tends to ebb and flow based on what they're doing. When something exciting happens (I see a show, a new album build, the march madness tournament,whatever) I have incentive to go back and fall in love again. And when that's not happening they recede to the background. In that they're no different than almost anything else in my life right now. I sort of have time for one thing to be obsessed about (I tend to be a deep diver, and when I'm into something I focus pretty intensely on it), and Star Wars is more exciting than Pearl Jam. But that'll change when the time comes. It always does :)

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon January 16, 2017 3:21 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Great post Phatj. :heartbeat:

PostPosted: Mon January 16, 2017 6:40 pm 

Thanks guys. :luv: I'm just glad I conveyed the message clearly. And I hope dime finds the love again.

PostPosted: Mon January 16, 2017 6:41 pm 
The Master

pearl jam sucks

PostPosted: Mon January 16, 2017 6:45 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Yeah good post Phatj. I really don't know how I feel about PJ anymore. I don't have any interest in seeing them live or a new studio album. I'm hesitant to say I don't care anymore cause it seems extreme but I kind of don't care anymore. If it wasn't for this place I'm not sure I'd pay any attention at all to them. My wife got a new car and it came with Sirius. I was surprised there was a PJ channel. I listened for 10 seconds and changed the channel. I'm not sure its really about PJ since most of the bands I was obsessed with in the 90s I can't be bothered with anymore. I guess I can't listen to the same songs forever.

PostPosted: Mon January 16, 2017 7:36 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

stip wrote:
Like many people, thanks to work and especially young kids I just have so much less time in my life for music. Plus Pearl Jam hasn't done anything new in a long time. My interest tends to ebb and flow based on what they're doing. When something exciting happens (I see a show, a new album build, the march madness tournament,whatever) I have incentive to go back and fall in love again. And when that's not happening they recede to the background. In that they're no different than almost anything else in my life right now. I sort of have time for one thing to be obsessed about (I tend to be a deep diver, and when I'm into something I focus pretty intensely on it), and Star Wars is more exciting than Pearl Jam. But that'll change when the time comes. It always does :)

Other than than the bit about Star Wars, this is exactly how my relationship with PJ is these days.

PostPosted: Thu January 19, 2017 7:54 pm 

Hey dime, did you ever take the dog for a walk and rekindle your PJ love?

PostPosted: Sat January 21, 2017 12:46 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

I think I'm over pearl jam cause pearl jam are over pearl jam. Although I can play any of the albums up to riot act/lost dogs-era and be reminded that those albums are infact really special and I wasn't just insane for all those years..

PostPosted: Sat January 21, 2017 12:53 am 
The Master

I'm going to spin Binaural right this fucking second.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1409 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 71  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam