The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

There can be only one
Eddie 31%  31%  [ 15 ]
Stone 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Jeff 23%  23%  [ 11 ]
Mike 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Matt 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Andrew Watt 35%  35%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 48
 Post subject: Dark Matter's MVP
PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 9:23 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Well, ladies and gentlemen, what are thinking? Perhaps a poll?

I was going to suggest Watt but (and this is a turnaround from recent records) I think it's Ed. Watt's alchemy caught this lightning (bolt) in a bottle but it was Ed who brought the band together with him and he soars over this album. His enthusiasm and pride shines through.

Post subject: Re: Dark Matter's MVP
PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 9:28 pm 
The worst

i want to say Watt for what he brought out of them. He is competing with Eddie and Matt, who anchors the ferocity of playing in every moment

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 9:30 pm 

stip wrote:
i want to say Watt for what he brought out of them. He is competing with Eddie and Matt, who anchors the ferocity of playing in every moment

Matt is another worthy contender. It sounds like he's going to break the drumkit at certain parts!

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 9:36 pm 
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

It’s Watt. The only acceptable alternative would be Cameron.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 9:43 pm 
Production Police

IMO, it's Jeff and it's not even close. Regardless of the good/bad of any track, he is consistently grooving with a sense of purpose -- often with great restraint -- adding creative textures, and generally keeping it all together.

One minute I'm loving what Ed's doing, another minute I'm hating what Ghanea is doing, another I'm digging Mike and Stone's interplay. No matter what is going on, I'm always thoroughly enjoying Jeff's contribution.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 9:46 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
IMO, it's Jeff and it's not even close. Regardless of the good/bad of any track, he is consistently grooving with a sense of purpose -- often with great restraint -- adding creative textures, and generally keeping it all together.

One minute I'm loving what Ed's doing, another minute I'm hating what Ghanea is doing, another I'm digging Mike and Stone's interplay. No matter what is going on, I'm always thoroughly enjoying Jeff's contribution.

This

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 9:49 pm 

I was going to go with Watt because of what he’s managed to get out of these guys, but you have to also consider what he’s done from a production standpoint. So I’m going with Jeff. Jeff is the Eddie whisperer. Somewhere along the way, he’s figured out how to make music that is great, full of the things that make Pj great, and have it jive with Eddie too. Ed’s styles and sensibilities are all over this album, yet it feels and sounds more less Eddie than other albums, with more influence from the others.

Jeff is the rock band of this band.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 9:54 pm 
Production Police

Fattie_Vedder wrote:
I was going to go with Watt because of what he’s managed to get out of these guys, but you have to also consider what he’s done from a production standpoint. So I’m going with Jeff. Jeff is the Eddie whisperer. Somewhere along the way, he’s figured out how to make music that is great, full of the things that make Pj great, and have it jive with Eddie too. Ed’s styles and sensibilities are all over this album, yet it feels and sounds more less Eddie than other albums, with more influence from the others.

Jeff is the rock band of this band.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 10:08 pm 
She / Her

Matt, because I think when he / the drummer enthusiastically brings his A+ game and takes control of the songs' grooves, everyone follows so as not to be outdone; and that is what Pearl Jam is

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 10:12 pm 
AnalLog

tragabigzanda wrote:

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 10:18 pm 
She / Her

RockPusher wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

:thumbsup:

I absolutely love how prominent all the basslines are

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 10:20 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

While i tempted to say Jeff, because he is my favorite member of the band, and he really stands out on this album i truly think the band is the mvp of the album. Everyone bring their A game on this one, and everyone shines really. Kudos to Watt for getting the band to write these songs and make them sound like this.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 10:40 pm 
Rank This Poster

This is truly a difficult choice. Everyone is absolutely on their A game and for the first time in several albums, I don’t think there is a weak link. I went with Jeff based on the fact I don’t think there is a single moment in which I think he could have done something subjectively better.

PostPosted: Fri April 19, 2024 11:04 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:

Yea definitely agree.

I would also say "pearl jam" as a whole are the MVP. These guys in a room playing music together...just some of the best ever.

But when it comes to Jeff, even stone discussed in a recent interview how jeff is kind of the anchor and always manages to find melody, cadence, rhythm, whatever....in between his quirky chords and mikes leads, and that bass is what really brings Eds job into focus.

Jeff rules.

PostPosted: Sat April 20, 2024 4:10 am 
AnalLog

Strat wrote:
Jeff rules.

PostPosted: Sat April 20, 2024 4:27 am 
AnalLog

Voted Jeff, but Eddie and Andrew are tied at 2nd place.

PostPosted: Sat April 20, 2024 4:41 am 
AnalLog

I think after 34 years the band has been making the point forever. What drives them what is the spark that lit this glorious trumphant mesmerizing blazing pile of dark matter. It is love . Love of each other love of the music love of the fans . A pool break kicks this album off. Why is that significant. Well Rick Danko 's bass hangs in Ed's studio. Ed played a Robbie Robertson guitar at Benaroyal. Who are Rick and Robby? Two members of the Band. What does that have to do with pool? The Last Waltz a film of their last concert. Kicks off with Rick breaking.
The movie once we were brothers was filmed a shangri-la. It is a beautiful film. The Band wore hats. I think Mvp is love followed closely by hats.

PostPosted: Sat April 20, 2024 4:50 am 
AnalLog

Tj wrote:
I think after 34 years the band has been making the point forever. What drives them what is the spark that lit this glorious trumphant mesmerizing blazing pile of dark matter. It is love . Love of each other love of the music love of the fans . A pool break kicks this album off. Why is that significant. Well Rick Danko 's bass hangs in Ed's studio. Ed played a Robbie Robertson guitar at Benaroyal. Who are Rick and Robby? Two members of the Band. What does that have to do with pool? The Last Waltz a film of their last concert. Kicks off with Rick breaking.
The movie once we were brothers was filmed a shangri-la. It is a beautiful film. The Band wore hats. I think Mvp is love followed closely by hats.

Well said brother!

PostPosted: Sat April 20, 2024 5:44 am 

Tj wrote:

Well that’s a tiny bit mind blowing and cool.

PostPosted: Sat April 20, 2024 11:51 am 
The worst

if i add love it f’s up the poll but i want to

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam