The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3642 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 183  Next
 Post subject: Re: Random Pearl Jam References
PostPosted: Thu April 25, 2013 3:44 am 
10Club Complaint Department

PostPosted: Thu April 25, 2013 4:17 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Birds in Hell wrote:

I don't understand why that show failed. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu April 25, 2013 11:56 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Really good interview with Jeff that I'd never seen:
http://juicemagazine.com/home/2005/12/pearl-jam/

Quote:
We’ve been fortunate enough to be around Neil Young a lot over the last 10 years. We’ve played a bunch of shows with him. The band recorded a record called ‘Mirror Ball’ with him. He’s been a huge influence. Every once in a while, he says something that just motivates you in such a cool way. One time, I remember him saying to me, ‘You just keep making music. Just keep going in the studio and making music and touring. There will be up cycles and down cycles. It’s all about the music. You just have to keep making music.’

PostPosted: Sat April 27, 2013 11:08 pm 
Gone

They just played the guitar riff from I Don't Know Anything while the Grizzlies were in their halfcourt set during their playoff game against the Clippers today. Weird choice, usually you hear rap songs.

PostPosted: Sun April 28, 2013 2:20 am 
Future Drummer

Dani Daniels' portrait of Ed.

She looks good naked fellas.

http://pen15artist.tumblr.com/post/4800 ... me-is-long

Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?

PostPosted: Sun April 28, 2013 5:18 am 
Rank This Poster

super nintendo chalmers wrote:

Dani Daniels' portrait of Ed.

She looks good naked fellas.

http://pen15artist.tumblr.com/post/4800 ... me-is-long

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:24 am 
Posting (live)

http://www.uncut.co.uk/blog/the-view-from-here/20-fictional-bands-in-movies
Double entry (ahem).

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:45 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

I wish I could find the episode, but I was listening to an old episode of Car Talk and an old lady was complaining b/c she sold her beloved car to a guy who gave it to his kid. "But now he's going to be driving down the road blasting Pearl Jam out of the car." To their credit, Click and Clack said, "Well, Pearl Jam's not bad."

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:48 pm 
Poster of the Year

Click and Clack both said that same line?

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:30 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

cutuphalfdead wrote:

No. I just don't know which is which. Only one person said it.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:50 pm 
Poster of the Year

B wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

No. I just don't know which is which. Only one person said it.

Ah, then this should be useful.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:59 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

http://electricpulp.com/guykawasaki/arse/

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:20 am 
Rank This Poster

Why do you have to be such a dick all the time, chud?

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:28 am 
Poster of the Year

I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:46 am 
Rank This Poster

Well, hang in there.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:45 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

nm

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:14 pm 
AnalLog

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/the-doors-john-densmore-talks-about-the-bands-ugly-six-year-feud-20130508

By John Clarke
May 8, 2013 4:00 PM ET

In his new book The Doors Unhinged: Jim Morrison's Legacy Goes on Trial, Doors drummer John Densmore spins a funny yet lurid, behind-the-scenes tale of his six-year feud with former bandmates Robby Krieger and Ray Manzarek – a greed-filled courtroom battle in which he was accused of being an anti-American, card-carrying communist who supports al Qaeda.

Densmore said the rift started in 2003, when Cadillac offered the band a record-breaking $15 million deal. Krieger and Manzarek wanted the deal but Densmore balked, recalling a studio session in 1968 when Jim Morrison, the band's enigmatic lead singer who died in 1971, discovered the band was considering taking $75,000 for a Buick ad. In that commercial, the car company would use the band's hit "Light My Fire," changing the lyrics from "Come on baby light my fire" to "Come on Buick light my fire."

"Jim told us he couldn't trust us anymore," Densmore tells Rolling Stone. "We had agreed that we would never use our music in any commercial, but the money Buick offered us had been hard to refuse. Jim accused us of making a deal with the devil and said he would smash a Buick with a sledgehammer onstage if we let them [change the lyrics]."

Then Krieger and Manzarek started touring under the Doors name. The band advertised themselves as The Doors of the 21st Century, with "The Doors" appearing in big, bold letters and everything else in small fine print.

"They started using the name the Doors," Densmore says. "I sent some example of the ad to the estate and said, "Hey, your deceased son has been resurrected and has been performing. Apparently I am, too." I asked Robby to stop and he said he would. But he didn't."

As far as Densmore was concerned, the Doors died in a bathtub in Paris in 1971. It was crucial to honor Morrison's absence. "I was not trying to stop them from playing," Densmore said. "They were great. Anyone can play Doors songs, unless it's for an ad for some product. I just wanted them to be clear [that it wasn't the Doors]."

Densmore and the Morrison estate, which includes Morrison's parents and his widow, sued Krieger and Manzarek to prevent them from using the name or taking the Cadillac deal. Krieger and Manzarek counter-sued, claiming they were being hamstrung by the estate and prevented from making a living as musicians.

Based on courtroom transcripts, Densmore works up a cautionary tale of the ugly collision of art and money. Densmore writes that the opposing legal team attacked his character and labeled him un-American and a communist for not taking the Cadillac deal.

"They tried to convince the jury I was an eco-terrorist because I am involved with a handful of peaceful, credible environmental organizations," said Densmore, who was once arrested with Bonnie Raitt for protesting the cutting down of old-growth trees. "I couldn't believe some of things I heard them say. I felt betrayed, hurt and very alone. . . Now, you can probably google my name and al Qaeda will come up. Great, let's go to Abu Ghraib! It was really disturbing."

During the trial, several musicians –including Raitt, Neil Young, Eddie Vedder, Tom Petty, Tom Waits and Randy Newman – all showed support for Densmore.

"Though it's something I don't like to think about, there will come a time when I will be a Dead Rock Star," wrote Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder on the book. "I can only hope that in my inevitable absence there will be someone with the integrity and principled behavior of Mr. Densmore looking after whatever legacy our group may leave behind." Petty said the book was a must-read for any musician who feels their work is worth more than money.

In a shocking turn of events, Police drummer Stewart Copeland, who played with Krieger and Manzarek in the Doors of the 21st Century, took the stand to speak out against the misuse of the name. "Copeland told the truth," Densmore said, "which exposed lies. Copeland challenged their use of the Doors name. He said that it wouldn't be appropriate to call themselves the Doors. But if they didn't, the limos and big arenas might disappear."

In speaking with Densmore and reading his book, Manzarek comes across as an arrogant control-freak, while there is a genuine feeling of loss for Krieger as a friend. Yet, Densmore said he's now on speaking terms with both of them. ("I just talked to Robby a few days ago," he says cheerfully.) Yet despite years of in-fighting and ugly accusations, Densmore would still consider a Doors reunion.

"Being in a band is like polygamy, only without the sex," Densmore said. "Things happen. But I'd get together for a one-off if there's a good reason – but it would have to be for charity, not for money."

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:51 pm 
Future Drummer

mastaflatch wrote:

"Though it's something I don't like to think about, there will come a time when I will be a Dead Rock Star," wrote Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder on the book. "I can only hope that in my inevitable absence there will be someone with the integrity and principled behavior of Mr. Densmore looking after whatever legacy our group may leave behind." Petty said the book was a must-read for any musician who feels their work is worth more than money.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:08 pm 
The Master

http://www.lifetimecollective.com/Jeff- ... p-260.html

How did music become important for you? Accessing music growing up in Montana must have been a bit more work for you?
Everything is better when you have to work for it, whether it’s writing a song or hiking for your powder turns.

Oh Mr. Ament, I would love to hike for some powder turns with you. Just a couple rad bro's getting some face shots in the back country....

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:21 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Strat wrote:
http://www.lifetimecollective.com/Jeff-Ament-sp-260.html

How did music become important for you? Accessing music growing up in Montana must have been a bit more work for you?
Everything is better when you have to work for it, whether it’s writing a song or hiking for your powder turns.

Oh Mr. Ament, I would love to hike for some powder turns with you. Just a couple rad bro's getting some face shots in the back country....

Sex On Legs

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3642 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 183  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam