The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post subject: Song of the Moment: Brother
PostPosted: Fri December 28, 2012 5:53 pm 
The worst

old thread archived here

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Brother
PostPosted: Fri March 13, 2020 5:36 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

stip wrote:

I f-word love this song

PostPosted: Fri March 13, 2020 8:09 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

the instrumental or get the fuck out.

PostPosted: Fri March 13, 2020 1:55 pm 
A Return To Form

I know there was a Rolling Stone article at some point in the early 90s between Ten and Vs. that mentioned this song, though it may have been in reference to an early version of "Daughter," which had the lyric "Don't call me brother" in it. I'm endlessly fascinated by the song selection for Ten. Obviously they made the album they needed to make, but they just had So. Much. Material.

PostPosted: Fri March 13, 2020 2:47 pm 
Broken Tamborine

I still love this one - It brings back fond memories of being a young fan and trying to track down and get my hands on all of the bands B-Sides

Until Pearl Jam, I had never really sought out B sides or non album tracks from any other band.
But Pearl Jam seemed to have a wealth of them back in the day - all high quality songs & sometimes better than anything on their albums; especially the TEN era B-sides and non album tracks.

I was happy when this got released on the Ten Redux - although I prefer the original bootlegged version better

The song did surprisingly well as a single and my local radio station still plays this one from time to time

PostPosted: Fri March 13, 2020 2:52 pm 
A Return To Form

Clem Halibut wrote:
I still love this one - It brings back fond memories of being a young fan and trying to track down and get my hands on all of the bands B-Sides

Until Pearl Jam, I had never really sought out B sides or non album tracks from any other band.
But Pearl Jam seemed to have a wealth of them back in the day - all high quality songs & sometimes better than anything on their albums; especially the TEN era B-sides and non album tracks.

I was happy when this got released on the Ten Redux - although I prefer the original bootlegged version better

The song did surprisingly well as a single and my local radio station still plays this one from time to time

"Hard to Imagine" was the holy grail for me for a long time, and "Just a Girl." But I remember spending $30 of saved up allowance money on the Japanese "Alive" import single at a Sam Goody in Boston. I felt like the champion of the world. Still don't know how they managed to keep "Hold On" on the down low for so long.

PostPosted: Fri March 13, 2020 3:46 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Tsuga wrote:
Clem Halibut wrote:

"Hard to Imagine" was the holy grail for me for a long time, and "Just a Girl." But I remember spending $30 of saved up allowance money on the Japanese "Alive" import single at a Sam Goody in Boston. I felt like the champion of the world. Still don't know how they managed to keep "Hold On" on the down low for so long.

Hold On took me by surprise - Never knew that one existed at all
But the funny thing was when I heard it - I felt like I heard it before; It was weird
Same thing happened with Fatal - there was something really familiar about that one as well -
Even though there was no way that I heard either of those before

Last edited by Clem Halibut on Fri March 13, 2020 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri March 13, 2020 3:46 pm 
AnalLog

I thought I had tracked down all the b-sides in the 90s but somehow missed this one until the instrumental showed up on Lost Dogs.

Would've been interesting if, instead of Vs., they had followed Ten with an album of leftover material from around that time.

Wash
State of Love...
Breath
Brother
Alone
Footsteps
HTI
...something else
Yellow Ledbetter

PostPosted: Fri March 13, 2020 3:52 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I prefer it with lyrics. Listen to it fairly often. Good song.

PostPosted: Fri March 13, 2020 3:57 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

ghost wrote:
I thought I had tracked down all the b-sides in the 90s but somehow missed this one until the instrumental showed up on Lost Dogs.

Would've been interesting if, instead of Vs., they had followed Ten with an album of leftover material from around that time.

Wash
State of Love...
Breath
Brother
Alone
Footsteps
HTI
...something else
Yellow Ledbetter

Hold On would have fit there too.

PostPosted: Sun July 12, 2020 6:58 pm 
tl;dr

Grabbing some random PJ stuff off the shelf today (mainly in the interest of deciding if there's any of this stuff I can purge), and I found myself listening to the Ten reissue from 2009 -- is it confirmed that "Brother" was a re-recorded vocal a la Lost Dogs? I know it is an alternate vocal from the outtake version on "Rarities Unreleased Cuts," but I wasn't sure if it was confirmed or just suspected to be a new recording. There are definitely parts where, if it's a circa 2009 recording, he does an okay job of selling it, but it definitely doesn't have that full-throated Neanderthal warble that most of the Ten-era recordings do.

Here's the original thread on the reissue -- people were super excited about it at the time, I feel like I've only ever heard people talk about how much they hate it...
http://archive.theskyiscrape.com/viewto ... 3ac885f3cf

PostPosted: Sun July 12, 2020 7:23 pm 
Future Drummer

Great track, I loved the way they played it back in 2009 and 2010. But since then, it been MIA.

PostPosted: Sun July 12, 2020 9:48 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I love Brother. All of the three versiones out there...the instrumental, the leaked 1992 version and the recorded one.

PostPosted: Sun July 12, 2020 11:54 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

i remember downloading an mp3 in like 1999 of whatever version (with vocals) that was out there. and liking it. had edge. sound quality was ‘fine’. but it’s definitely ‘from another era’.

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Sun July 12, 2020 11:55 pm 
AnalLog

Kevin Davis wrote:
Grabbing some random PJ stuff off the shelf today (mainly in the interest of deciding if there's any of this stuff I can purge), and I found myself listening to the Ten reissue from 2009 -- is it confirmed that "Brother" was a re-recorded vocal a la Lost Dogs? I know it is an alternate vocal from the outtake version on "Rarities Unreleased Cuts," but I wasn't sure if it was confirmed or just suspected to be a new recording. There are definitely parts where, if it's a circa 2009 recording, he does an okay job of selling it, but it definitely doesn't have that full-throated Neanderthal warble that most of the Ten-era recordings do.

Here's the original thread on the reissue -- people were super excited about it at the time, I feel like I've only ever heard people talk about how much they hate it...

Unfortunately i can't help with the confirmation part, but i've always been working on the assumption that the Ten Redux version had re-recorded vocals.

Of course now i'm listening to it and comparing it to the leaked version from the Ten sessions and i'm not 100% sure? Maybe he re-recorded this one prior to 2003 when they started looking and re-doing parts of the Lost Dogs songs?

PostPosted: Sun July 12, 2020 11:57 pm 
AnalLog

96583UP wrote:
i remember downloading an mp3 in like 1999 of whatever version (with vocals) that was out there. and liking it. had edge. sound quality was ‘fine’. but it’s definitely ‘from another era’.

Yeah that's my favorite of the three...that one was clearly out of the Ten sessions.

PostPosted: Mon July 13, 2020 2:45 am 
Future Drummer

Kevin Davis wrote:

I don't think it was ever confirmed, just a well-educated guess based on:
- the vocal style not matching 1990-1991 era Ed
- Ed having apparently said he was not happy with the original lyrics
- different lyrics to any of the takes available from 1990-1991

All of this is consistent with Ed re-recording the vocals with new lyrics to release it as a single to promote the 2009 box set. The distortion over the vocals does do a good job of hiding the fact that it is modern-day Ed singing though :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon July 13, 2020 2:47 am 
mXn

:bammer:

PostPosted: Mon July 13, 2020 12:16 pm 
tl;dr

ridleybradout wrote:
Kevin Davis wrote:

I don't think it was ever confirmed, just a well-educated guess based on:
- the vocal style not matching 1990-1991 era Ed
- Ed having apparently said he was not happy with the original lyrics
- different lyrics to any of the takes available from 1990-1991

All of this is consistent with Ed re-recording the vocals with new lyrics to release it as a single to promote the 2009 box set. The distortion over the vocals does do a good job of hiding the fact that it is modern-day Ed singing though :thumbsup:

Thanks Brad, this is definitive enough for me :thumbsup:

I enjoy this song, but I like the 2009-2010 live versions better than any of the studio takes.

PostPosted: Wed July 15, 2020 12:33 am 
AnalLog

I'm one of those people who likes almost everything PJ have done. I like Ole and The Fixer, and I can even tolerate Can't Deny Me. Can't get into Brother at all really. I find it pretty boring.

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam