No votes
1 Star
2%

Total votes : 43

Re: Song fo the Moment: I Got Id/Shit

Mon May 02, 2016 10:27 pm

cutuphalfdead wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
PHATJ wrote:5 stars. I remember the first time I ever listened to Merkinball. I was riding in the back of my parents Suburban, we were driving through a snowstorm in Minneapolis, and I had my Discman cranked up as I watched the snow fall through the city lights. The closing solo on I Got Id sounded so amazing (and still does). I'll always love this song and I'll never forget that first time hearing it.

Funny, I have a very distinct memory of my first spin too. Typical teenage angst had rendered my relationship with my dad pretty stilted. We were at Newbury Comics so I could pick this up. When we got home, there was a message that my grandmother had a stroke. I didn't know how to comfort my father, or even if I was supposed to. So I hid in my room and listened to Merkinball on my headphones over and over again.

which newbury comics?

Rt 114 in that Danvers/Peabody strip mall hell.

Mon May 02, 2016 11:31 pm

Top 5 PJ tune for me. Like others, I do wish they'd slow it down live and I really wish Mike would start doing some lead work in it again. I also like BO'B's bass line to it better than Jeff's.

If I was given the chance to sit in with the band and play a single song with them, it would be this one.

Mon May 02, 2016 11:53 pm

stip wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
stip wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:I have always loved this song, but I have begun to question its mopey sad-lonely-male lyrics as I've gotten older.

me too, but they were really powerful at the time, and so I think the issue is maybe more with me than the lyrics.

Oh, they were hella powerful when I was 16. Not so much now.

So serious question. Does that mean the lyrics aren't good, or that they're just no longer directed at you?

They're bad. Teenagers are stupid.

Tue May 03, 2016 12:24 am

This is a top 10 PJ for me. That guitar solo is the best. Gives me goosebumps every time.

Sat January 11, 2020 4:46 pm

after listening this on the alone and far away comp (thanks again), and with more reflection, i really do think that this is the perfect pearl jam song.

Sat January 11, 2020 4:47 pm

Chris_H_2 wrote:after listening this on the alone and far away comp (thanks again), and with more reflection, i really do think that this is the perfect pearl jam song.

It's one of the best. Killer version on the comp too. It's a shame they haven't been in able to nail it in quite some time.

Sat January 11, 2020 4:50 pm

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:after listening this on the alone and far away comp (thanks again), and with more reflection, i really do think that this is the perfect pearl jam song.

It's one of the best. Killer version on the comp too. It's a shame they haven't been in able to nail it in quite some time.

i think it was you that said that they nailed this song on the binaural tour, and i couldn't agree more. since then it's been a sped-up slog (if that makes sense).

Sat January 11, 2020 5:14 pm

SAME. God-tier version of the song.

Sat January 11, 2020 5:22 pm

Coach, your rebuttal?

Sat January 11, 2020 5:37 pm

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
stip wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
stip wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:I have always loved this song, but I have begun to question its mopey sad-lonely-male lyrics as I've gotten older.

me too, but they were really powerful at the time, and so I think the issue is maybe more with me than the lyrics.

Oh, they were hella powerful when I was 16. Not so much now.

So serious question. Does that mean the lyrics aren't good, or that they're just no longer directed at you?

They're bad. Teenagers are stupid.

incel anthem

Sat January 11, 2020 6:52 pm

have they ever played this live with Neil Young? His guitar solo is so epic. Mike gives it a sporting try but, you know, Neil Young

Sat January 11, 2020 7:39 pm

The studio version with Neil on lead is 5 stars. The live versions never compare but the band is usually going strong by the end of it. This should’ve been a regular at bridge schools with Neil on electric guitars. Fuck tradition.

mikejasond wrote:Eddie is really bad at this intro live.

Really bad might be too harsh but he does sound amateurish compared to NY.

Sat January 11, 2020 7:57 pm

Matters wrote:
mikejasond wrote:Eddie is really bad at this intro live.

Really bad might be too harsh but he does sound amateurish compared to NY.

Pretty certain it's Ed that plays the intro on the record.

Sat January 11, 2020 8:01 pm

Birds in Hell wrote:Pretty certain it's Ed that plays the intro on the record.

I guess it’s possible but I’d bet a lot against it. It sounds like Neil’s style to me and Ed’s never played anything else that resembles it.

Sat January 11, 2020 8:03 pm

Matters wrote:

I guess it’s possible but I’d bet a lot against it. It sounds like Neil’s style to me and Ed’s never played anything else that resembles it.

you are wrong

Sat January 11, 2020 8:09 pm

Matters wrote:

Well, Ed wrote it, so...

If you listen to the first time they played it live (Osaka), Ed plays the intro almost exactly like the recorded version.

By the time they got to Australia on that tour a week or so later, seems like he fell into playing it the more heavy-handed way he has ever since.

Sat January 11, 2020 8:35 pm

Osaka does sound like the record, I hadn’t remembered hearing that performance. The album doesn’t credit either of them on lead, just “guitars” for both. I don’t think Ed writing it matters, he also wrote GSMF. If I’m wrong, I’m wrong but I’m not convinced yet.

If you’re right and it is Ed, it’s really disappointing that he started playing it the crappy way.

Sat January 11, 2020 8:50 pm

E.H. Ruddock wrote:Coach, your rebuttal?

Well, you know I've felt strongly about this for quite some time and have taken some heat for it.

But, it's arguably one of Pearl Jam's best songs - Top 5 for sure. Never understood the hate for this tune.

I love the Canadian version with Cinnamon Girl in it....

Sun January 12, 2020 8:22 pm

Great song that I still enjoy. I get your points but I have my dopey mopey sad alone male moments now too.
I have always like the fast/slow musical arrangements.
I gave it four stars; as much I like it I can't give it a top shelf rating just because there's at least 20 songs I like better by them. Not a bad thing; just a reflection of how much I liked this band in their day.

Sun January 12, 2020 8:22 pm

Why does everyone hate this song?
Post a reply