1%
2 Stars
No votes
1 Star
No votes

Total votes : 115

Re: Yield: Official Album Thread

Tue April 28, 2020 10:57 pm

love the funky playfulness of no way’s music. lyrics are a turnoff, though. especially the chorus. And I don’t really like how Eddie sounds on this one. i feel like he just made poor choice after poor choice on so much of no code and yield

Tue April 28, 2020 10:58 pm

oh my god stip

Tue April 28, 2020 10:59 pm

Some of Ed's best vocal performances (including No Way) in this period come from songs where he's not the author. I sometimes wonder if that lack of authorship freed him up to take chances he wanted otherwise try with his own material. Perhaps that bit of distance was a benefit.
Last edited by digster on Tue April 28, 2020 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue April 28, 2020 10:59 pm

Again, No Way is superb. The music is awesome, the production is awesome, and ed kills it.

Tue April 28, 2020 11:00 pm

digster wrote:Some of Ed's best vocal performances (including No Way) in this period come from songs where he's not the author. I sometimes wonder if that lack of authorship freed him up to take chances he wanted otherwise try with his own material. Perhaps the bit of deeestance was a benefit.

*ftfy

Tue April 28, 2020 11:01 pm

digster wrote:Some of Ed's best vocal performances (including No Way) in this period come from songs where he's not the author. I sometimes wonder if that lack of authorship freed him up to take chances he wanted otherwise try with his own material. Perhaps the bit of distance was a benefit.

Not sure, maybe? I think he was in a very good place. He was in control of his voice, and he was super cool really...a very cool motherfucker. I love what he said in the 1998 tour to the crowds.

Tue April 28, 2020 11:02 pm

VinylGuy wrote:
digster wrote:Some of Ed's best vocal performances (including No Way) in this period come from songs where he's not the author. I sometimes wonder if that lack of authorship freed him up to take chances he wanted otherwise try with his own material. Perhaps the bit of distance was a benefit.

Not sure, maybe? I think he was in a very good place. He was in control of his voice, and he was super cool really...a very cool motherfucker. I love what he said in the 1998 tour to the crowds.

le swoon! Cargo pants and boxing shoes and a leather jacket with that hair!

hold me!

Tue April 28, 2020 11:03 pm

yup, the drums feel slightly off to me on gtf. busy and slightly out of sync, and oddly neutered.

such a powerful performance from everyone else on this. mike’s part is magical, and Ed sounds as good as he is going to sound during this period. I wish they had this in their pocket during the vs era.

I would like the chorus to be a little bit cleaner. Again, the hoarse shrieking takes away more than it adds. If he didnt want to just belt out cleaner notes I wish we had more of a roar

Tue April 28, 2020 11:03 pm

jesus christ stip

Tue April 28, 2020 11:04 pm

VinylGuy wrote:Again, No Way is superb. The music is awesome, the production is awesome, and ed kills it.

there are too many moments where he sounds like he is slightly holding his nose

Tue April 28, 2020 11:04 pm

Strat wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:

le swoon! Cargo pants and boxing shoes and a leather jacket with that hair!

hold me!

yeah, and a very deadpan situation going with the crowds. Love it.

Tue April 28, 2020 11:05 pm

stip wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:Again, No Way is superb. The music is awesome, the production is awesome, and ed kills it.

there are too many moments where he sounds like he is slightly holding his nose

For all i care, he is also dancing....sounds awesome.

Tue April 28, 2020 11:05 pm

Every 90s record sounds impassioned, but on stuff like No Way he sounds like he's actually enjoying himself for the first time on record.
Last edited by digster on Tue April 28, 2020 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue April 28, 2020 11:06 pm

wishlist is just lovely. I think its the first pj song in this lyrical ‘list’ style. i love it pretty much every time he goes to this well.

top 10 guitar solo for me on this one (the middle one)

Tue April 28, 2020 11:06 pm

is this stips phatj's shtick?

Tue April 28, 2020 11:07 pm

for all its awkwardness, ‘i wish i was the verb to trust and never let you down’ has always been one of my favorite lyrics

Tue April 28, 2020 11:08 pm

stip wrote:for all its awkwardness, ‘i wish i was the verb to trust and never let you down’ has always been one of my favorite lyrics

yeah i loveeeee that one.

Tue April 28, 2020 11:09 pm

stip wrote:yup, the drums feel slightly off to me on gtf. busy and slightly out of sync, and oddly neutered.

such a powerful performance from everyone else on this. mike’s part is magical, and Ed sounds as good as he is going to sound during this period. I wish they had this in their pocket during the vs era.

I would like the chorus to be a little bit cleaner. Again, the hoarse shrieking takes away more than it adds. If he didnt want to just belt out cleaner notes I wish we had more of a roar

Tue April 28, 2020 11:10 pm

digster wrote:Every 90s record sounds impassioned, but on stuff like No Way he sounds like he's actually enjoying himself for the first time on record.

i used to dislike it, but Ive come around on pilate over the years in a way I havent for no way (a pretty similar song). I enjoy the playful energy here, and really like Eddie’s subdued rake in the verse

Tue April 28, 2020 11:13 pm

Some of the lyrics in DTE haven’t aged super well, but this is still an all timer, and the choices I dont like on some of the more ‘traditional’ yield songs pay off huge here. they fit the exacerbated fury of the song. The way he sings all the ‘evolution’ moments.

Jack works okay here since I dont notice him
Post a reply