The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 56  Next

So....Yield?
5 Stars 82%  82%  [ 94 ]
4 Stars 17%  17%  [ 20 ]
3 Stars 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
2 Stars 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
1 Star 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 115
 Post subject: Re: Yield: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Sun February 03, 2013 7:59 pm 
The worst

that's a nice piece. They almost always do good work

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun February 03, 2013 10:39 pm 
Jeff's Infallible Pendulum

It was good to hear those studio B-sides for Leatherman and U. I haven't heard the studio versions in ages. Those are a couple of are pretty neat tunes.

PostPosted: Mon February 04, 2013 2:11 am 
Stone's Bitch

Fuzzcharger wrote:
It was good to hear those studio B-sides for Leatherman and U. I haven't heard the studio versions in ages. Those are a couple of are pretty neat tunes.

Yeah they're perfect b-sides - wouldn't want them on the album but I'm glad they're out there.

PostPosted: Mon February 04, 2013 4:07 am 

This made me miss the days of B-sides a bit. Especially after going through the Blur 21 boxset recently. Some off those tracks that were just tossed off were very, very enjoyable.

PostPosted: Mon February 04, 2013 12:51 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Fuzzcharger wrote:
This made me miss the days of B-sides a bit. Especially after going through the Blur 21 boxset recently. Some off those tracks that were just tossed off were very, very enjoyable.

it was always nice going to a music store and looking through all the singles to see if there were any B sides i didnt already have or know about, even though its so much easier to get things now, i do miss those "treasure hunts"

PostPosted: Mon February 04, 2013 3:08 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Quote:
Nhiding: Got some special content today from Stone and Cameron Crowe for tomorrow's show

I wonder what special content was he talking about...

PostPosted: Mon February 04, 2013 5:11 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

couple random things

1. its my favorite PJ album cover and artwork

2. if I was stranded on a deserted island, this is the album I'd want to be left with. (I still rate Vitalogy higher)

PostPosted: Mon February 04, 2013 5:22 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Speaking of B-sides...

"U" is a b-side for Yield (Wishlist I think?), but the Lost Dogs version list Matt as the drummer. When did they record this? Or is there a version with Jack on drums?

PostPosted: Mon February 04, 2013 6:59 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

darth_vedder wrote:
Speaking of B-sides...

"U" is a b-side for Yield (Wishlist I think?), but the Lost Dogs version list Matt as the drummer. When did they record this? Or is there a version with Jack on drums?

The Lost Dogs version is re-recorded with Matt on drums. The original had Jack. I'm fairly sure they re-recorded the entire song, but at the very least it's new drums and vocals

I wonder what the thought process was behind the re-recording of some of the songs? Especially something as simple as "U"... there had to be a meaning behind it, unless they were just unhappy with the originals.

PostPosted: Mon February 04, 2013 7:03 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

bodysnatcher wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Speaking of B-sides...

The Lost Dogs version is re-recorded with Matt on drums. The original had Jack. I'm fairly sure they re-recorded the entire song, but at the very least it's new drums and vocals

I wonder what the thought process was behind the re-recording of some of the songs? Especially something as simple as "U"... there had to be a meaning behind it, unless they were just unhappy with the originals.

Thanks!

I guess I never heard the "Jack" version. Nice, it's kinda like new PJ for me :)

PostPosted: Mon February 04, 2013 7:43 pm 
The worst

bodysnatcher wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Speaking of B-sides...

the originals were not that obscure so in some of those cases I think it i just to give the fans who already knew the song something slightly different to sink their teeth into. Alone, Undone, Black Red Yellow, U, Drifting, and Hard to Imagine are all a bit different than other releases. In some cases it is subtle, and in others not so much, but each was a nice surprise.

For an unreleased song like Hold On they probably had some issues with the original song.

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon February 04, 2013 7:47 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

stip wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Speaking of B-sides...

the originals were not that obscure so in some of those cases I think it i just to give the fans who already knew the song something slightly different to sink their teeth into. Alone, Undone, Black Red Yellow, U, Drifting, and Hard to Imagine are all a bit different than other releases. In some cases it is subtle, and in others not so much, but each was a nice surprise.

For an unreleased song like Hold On they probably had some issues with the original song.

Yeah that's a good point

PostPosted: Mon February 04, 2013 8:56 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I'm listening to the stream of that Yield anniversary special. Wow, the callers are really annoying.

PostPosted: Mon February 04, 2013 11:13 pm 

EJ wrote:
I'm listening to the stream of that Yield anniversary special. Wow, the callers are really annoying.

I nearly wanted to stab my ear drums with a sharp pencil everytime they took calls with the exception being the guy who went to the Maui show whose wife passed away.

PostPosted: Tue February 05, 2013 12:18 am 
jeeeesus relax already

i just listened to Yield on my way home, and its surprises me how good the studio versions are..the band sounds tight as a unit, even if you feel they are loosing it up, those songs are very well learnt and played.
Brendan work here is superb, again i think he was one of the main creative forces behind those records, and most of the things i adore in this one has to do with what it feels are his choices.
I guess we can say it doesnt rock as hard as Vitalogy or the rocker songs in No Code, and yeah even with Evolution and Brain of J, there isnt more grungy-rock and roll left here, but they really went on a different route here with songs like Faithfull, No Way ( what a song), GTF, MFC ....

And please, play ATY more often...that one is a gem...

As for the b sides, they truly deserve to be in that place, there is no retracking here.

PostPosted: Tue February 05, 2013 3:42 am 
Future Drummer

stip wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Speaking of B-sides...

I always thought 'U' was about Beth and it was rerecorded as 'You' post break-up with some subtle lyric changes - e.g. "It might be the way you don't sympathise" etc

PostPosted: Tue February 05, 2013 9:31 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

VinylGuy wrote:
As for the b sides, they truly deserve to be in that place, there is no retracking here.

This also is the beautiful thing about Yield. There's no "what if". It's a very well thought out album. The songs, tracklist, artwork, everything just perfectly worked out.

PostPosted: Tue February 05, 2013 10:16 am 
10Club Complaint Department

I think the transition between Wishlist and Pilate is really weak.

I'd have preferred something a bit louder to separate them (Happy When I'm Crying?) or, perhaps even more suitably, a non faded-out ending to Wishlist.

PostPosted: Tue February 05, 2013 1:06 pm 
AnalLog

I teach drivers education for a second job and I was playing Yield on Saturday as we were driving around. After Brain of J, Faithful, No Way, GTF, the girl in the backseat says, "So this is Pearl Jam? This is like, really good rock and roll." I though that was a ringing endorsement.

I've been listening to Yield regularly for the last week, even put the vinyl on while my wife and kids were out, and I can't believe what a great job the band and Brendan did. This record makes me proud.

PostPosted: Tue February 05, 2013 3:11 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Is a great record...and the fact that is not their best work tell us so much about this band.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 56  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam