The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 56  Next

So....Yield?
5 Stars 82%  82%  [ 93 ]
4 Stars 18%  18%  [ 20 ]
3 Stars 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
2 Stars 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
1 Star 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 114
 Post subject: Re: Yield: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Fri February 03, 2023 11:38 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Happy anniversary!

PostPosted: Fri February 03, 2023 11:41 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Farmer John wrote:
I caught a tiny bit of that Jeff and Stone track by track commentary today. Hopefully someone shares it because I'd love to hear the whole thing.

It was interesting to hear them talk about "Push Me, Pull Me". Jeff had a full demo worked up that sounded like an upbeat Police song, and at first Eddie had a cool vocal melody over the verses that Jeff got excited about. Then everyone else got involved and "turned it into an art project" and Jeff was kind of bummed. He even walked out of the sessions over it. He says he grew to like it, though.

Would love to hear their track by track commentary.

PostPosted: Fri February 03, 2023 11:42 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

joostone wrote:
Sirius celebrates the 25th anniversary aswell!

Spoiler: show
Monkeywrench Radio '98 Special SiriusXM Pearl Jam Radio January 31st 2023 Running Time: 3:31:99 MP3 https://we.tl/t-BtWeG5JTJE

Yield 25 with Stone Gossard & Jeff Ament SiriusXM Pearl Jam Radio February 1st 2023 Running Time:1:25:03 MP3 https://we.tl/t-W9qVCQE649

PostPosted: Fri February 03, 2023 11:52 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat February 04, 2023 1:34 am 
AnalLog

Interesting hearing that the Strokes openly ripped off the bassline from All Those Yesterdays for the title track on Is This It. I'd never noticed but the resemblance is stark.

PostPosted: Sat February 04, 2023 5:02 am 
The Master

EJ wrote:
I caught a bit of the Stone/Jeff commentary on Yield today. Need to listen to the whole thing now. Pretty funny, though they seem a bit foggy about details from 25 years ago.

But, their commentary on 'No Way' was pretty comical - Jeff is basically afraid of playing it live because of the difficult bass timing in the song.

Listening to the commentary… is the No Way bass solo (and all of the tune, for that matter) Stone? Jeff claimed he wasn’t present.

PostPosted: Sat February 04, 2023 6:44 am 
10Club Complaint Department

spike wrote:
EJ wrote:
I caught a bit of the Stone/Jeff commentary on Yield today. Need to listen to the whole thing now. Pretty funny, though they seem a bit foggy about details from 25 years ago.

But, their commentary on 'No Way' was pretty comical - Jeff is basically afraid of playing it live because of the difficult bass timing in the song.

Listening to the commentary… is the No Way bass solo (and all of the tune, for that matter) Stone? Jeff claimed he wasn’t present.

IIRC Stone plays all the bass on No Way and DTE.

PostPosted: Sat February 04, 2023 2:28 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Birds in Hell wrote:
spike wrote:
EJ wrote:

IIRC Stone plays all the bass on No Way and DTE.

that's correct. Jeff was given the opportunity to record the DTC bass afterwards, but declined because he thought it was perfectly done by Stone.

also, trag mentioned not much to be uncovered - well, we didn't know about this PMPM drastic change. Stone's original No Way demo would be neat to hear to.

Also, they had recorded versions of Bayleaf, Thin Air, Parting Ways and Of The Girl during the Yield sessions. Would be pretty cool to hear Jack's take on these songs.

PostPosted: Sat February 04, 2023 2:55 pm 
Production Police

Yeah I would be interested to hear a PJ version of Bayleaf…

But speaking to the point Stone made about how the output this era was approached fairly casually, I tend to think anything that would qualify as a finished song has probably been released. I’d love to hear demos and alt versions of stuff…but I’d be less inclined to pay $150 for a super deluxe set that was just those sorts of tracks plus the full albums remastered from DAT

PostPosted: Sat February 04, 2023 4:14 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

I’m no audiophile at all but how do you remaster albums that sound perfect? Vitalogy No code and yield are perfect. The redo on vitalogy sounded really harsh to my ears. It worked for corduroy in that it brought stuff buried in the mix way up front.

I dunno how to describe what I mean. Sonically all these albums are perfect for me. No code especially. It just sounds like you’re sitting there in The room with them.

But I’d love to get a super deluxe boxset of alternative takes and outtakes and unreleased songs

PostPosted: Sat February 04, 2023 6:08 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

wished they gave a quick talk on Hummus, but alas nada. they probably forgot about it entirely.

PostPosted: Sat February 04, 2023 6:19 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

dimejinky99 wrote:
I’m no audiophile at all but how do you remaster albums that sound perfect? Vitalogy No code and yield are perfect. The redo on vitalogy sounded really harsh to my ears. It worked for corduroy in that it brought stuff buried in the mix way up front.

I dunno how to describe what I mean. Sonically all these albums are perfect for me. No code especially. It just sounds like you’re sitting there in The room with them.

But I’d love to get a super deluxe boxset of alternative takes and outtakes and unreleased songs

No Code is my fav sounding album for sure.

PostPosted: Sat February 04, 2023 7:19 pm 
Production Police

I think all those albums are mixed beautifully. My issue with DAT is the poor bid depth and sample rate. Kind of difficult to explain if you don’t know what to listen for, but think of the transparency slider in photoshop. A DAT master is like when the transparency is 80%.

PostPosted: Sat February 04, 2023 9:16 pm 
The Master

EJ wrote:
wished they gave a quick talk on Hummus, but alas nada. they probably forgot about it entirely.

It was pretty awkward how emphatically Jeff went on about forgetting Red Dot existed. And didn’t they both refer to it as “Red Bars“ or something?

PostPosted: Sat February 04, 2023 10:10 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Trag will not be in charge of the stereo at my next party.

I’ll make sure he keeps people from tapping on my aquarium glass.

PostPosted: Sat February 04, 2023 10:19 pm 
Production Police

I better join an aquarium message board so I can criticize that too

PostPosted: Sat February 04, 2023 10:32 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

DAT bass

PostPosted: Sat February 04, 2023 10:42 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

dimejinky99 wrote:

I read somewhere that most of the new remasters are also a way for these bands to maybe not pay anything to perhaps a different label. Not sure if its true tough.

PostPosted: Sat February 04, 2023 11:23 pm 
AnalLog

VinylGuy wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:

I read somewhere that most of the new remasters are also a way for these bands to maybe not pay anything to perhaps a different label. Not sure if its true tough.

I think it resets the copyright or something like that?

PostPosted: Sat February 04, 2023 11:47 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

yeah, something like that, or maybe it was with a new mix.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 56  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam