The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1115 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 56  Next

So....Yield?
5 Stars 82%  82%  [ 93 ]
4 Stars 18%  18%  [ 20 ]
3 Stars 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
2 Stars 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
1 Star 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 114
 Post subject: Yield: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Fri December 28, 2012 11:57 am 
The worst

the original thread is archived here

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song
He/Him/His

Post subject: Re: Yield: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Wed January 30, 2013 8:05 am 
Looks Like a Cat

NHiding wrote:
SIRIUSXM PJ RADIO YIELD 15TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL

SiriusXM Pearl Jam Radio celebrates the 15th Anniversary of Yield this weekend with The Faithfull Forum - a special in depth, fan-involved program. We'll be opening up the phone lines for your participation and recollections on this classic album along with live tracks, b-sides and other goodies related to Yield.

Tune in Saturday Feb. 2nd at 4pm EST/1pm PST for this live special.

Live tracks and "goodies", you say.

PostPosted: Wed January 30, 2013 12:35 pm 
AnalLog

One of pearl jams finest albums. The last great brendon obrien/pearl jam album.

Obriens work on tracks like faithful/no way/all those yesterday's are sublime IMHO

PostPosted: Wed January 30, 2013 12:41 pm 
The worst

Got Some wrote:

Obriens work on tracks like faithful/no way/all those yesterday's are sublime IMHO

faithful (and In Hiding) have always struck me as songs that sound half finished.

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed January 30, 2013 1:04 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

The first time I listened to this album, I had only heard Pearl Jam's popular singles and was struck by how different Eddie's voice sounded from the one I had heard on "Jeremy" or "Alive". I took a liking to this album immediately and for a while, it was my favourite Pearl Jam album. I've cooled on it recently though but maybe I just need to give it another spin. Faithfull and All Those Yesterdays are amazing songs.

PostPosted: Wed January 30, 2013 4:08 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

stip wrote:
Got Some wrote:

faithful (and In Hiding) have always struck me as songs that sound half finished.

It's taken me a long time to sort of "get" (and I hate that word in this context) Yield. It didn't click with me until last year. But I never felt like any of the songs (save Red Dot) felt half finished. What about those songs makes you feel that way?

PostPosted: Wed January 30, 2013 4:20 pm 
Rank This Poster

Faithful is one of the best songs this band has ever written

PostPosted: Wed January 30, 2013 4:22 pm 
Poster of the Year

warehouse wrote:

It's in my top 2.

PostPosted: Wed January 30, 2013 4:24 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

warehouse wrote:

So good, starts slow, picks up into a pretty rocking song and finishes back slow like it started, and though the music is what hooked me first on this one, the lyrics and Eds delivery really makes it for me now.
Plus my wife and i have a line from it on our wedding rings

PostPosted: Wed January 30, 2013 4:29 pm 
Rank This Poster

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
warehouse wrote:

So good, starts slow, picks up into a pretty rocking song and finishes back slow like it started, and though the music is what hooked me first on this one, the lyrics and Eds delivery really makes it for me now.
Plus my wife and i have a line from it on our wedding rings

exactly. "half finished" is the last way id describe it.

PostPosted: Wed January 30, 2013 5:07 pm 
The worst

durdencommatyler wrote:
stip wrote:
Got Some wrote:

It's taken me a long time to sort of "get" (and I hate that word in this context) Yield. It didn't click with me until last year. But I never felt like any of the songs (save Red Dot) felt half finished. What about those songs makes you feel that way?

I'm sure I have probably articulated this on the old board somewhere better than I will here. Even though they have the rich sound that the rest of Yield does, there is something about them that always seemed thin--like they were waiting to layer the really good parts on. Other mid tempo songs like GTF (which I love) and No Way (which I don't) still found much fuller than these do.

As was pretty astutely observed in that other thread, this is really the point where PJ started writing more subdued anthems (in a lot of ways GTF is the last of that old guard--or at least the hinge between these two periods) and I started to lose some interest in them (post vitalogy there are really only 4 PJ anthems that I love, for a certain definition of anthem). But still, No Way is hardly an old fashioned PJ anthem and it still feels like there is just more going on there musically than these songs. I think I miss the layering in them that are in most of the other really good ones.

I am also don't really like the verses (or the main riff, to be honest) in In Hiding and Faithful has, after a very promising first verse, sometimes seems a little too ham fisted for my tastes. Also not a tremendous fan of how Eddie sounds on either of these songs.

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed January 30, 2013 5:18 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

You are a fury thing, Stip.

PostPosted: Wed January 30, 2013 5:22 pm 
Broken Tamborine

stip wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
stip wrote:
Got Some wrote:

I'm sure I have probably articulated this on the old board somewhere better than I will here. Even though they have the rich sound that the rest of Yield does, there is something about them that always seemed thin--like they were waiting to layer the really good parts on. Other mid tempo songs like GTF (which I love) and No Way (which I don't) still found much fuller than these do.

As was pretty astutely observed in that other thread, this is really the point where PJ started writing more subdued anthems (in a lot of ways GTF is the last of that old guard--or at least the hinge between these two periods) and I started to lose some interest in them (post vitalogy there are really only 4 PJ anthems that I love, for a certain definition of anthem). But still, No Way is hardly an old fashioned PJ anthem and it still feels like there is just more going on there musically than these songs. I think I miss the layering in them that are in most of the other really good ones.

I am also don't really like the verses (or the main riff, to be honest) in In Hiding and Faithful has, after a very promising first verse, sometimes seems a little too ham fisted for my tastes. Also not a tremendous fan of how Eddie sounds on either of these songs.

I feel like I tend to agree with your opinions more than most other people on the board, but I don't get this at all.

Well, maybe just this tiny bit. The lyrics for In Hiding feel a little ... first draft to me. I like them well enough and I get the idea, but they're a bit awkward and it feels like it all doesn't come together very well. Still like the song quite a bit despite that, and musically I think that song is wonderful.

PostPosted: Wed January 30, 2013 5:49 pm 
Broken Tamborine

this album snuck through my back door.

1997, orlando, sand lake road. sitting in my car waiting for a friend to cash his check. hitting seek endless times until i hear a familiar voice. what was this? why am i hearing this? wait, this is pearl jam! it sounds awesome. soaring vocals into laidback drums only to build up an do it again. i'm instantly hooked on given to fly. i didnt have the iternet at home. i dont listen to orlando radio. i had no way of knowing yeild was coming. i find out a little more and on feb 3rd, i'm at the virgin megastore at disney for the midnight sale. overhead they're playing wishlist and i can't wait to get home and hear more. i get the promo poster, the cd and fly home. the music is exactly what i wanted to hear and never even knew it was coming. this album rekindled a love for their music that hasn't left me since.

PostPosted: Wed January 30, 2013 6:21 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

this album is so effin' good

PostPosted: Wed January 30, 2013 8:03 pm 
The worst

mray10 wrote:
stip wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
stip wrote:
Got Some wrote:

I feel like I tend to agree with your opinions more than most other people on the board, but I don't get this at all.

Well, maybe just this tiny bit. The lyrics for In Hiding feel a little ... first draft to me. I like them well enough and I get the idea, but they're a bit awkward and it feels like it all doesn't come together very well. Still like the song quite a bit despite that, and musically I think that song is wonderful.

fair enough--this is just my own idiosyncratic tastes.

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed January 30, 2013 9:36 pm 
Rank This Poster

EJ wrote:

Yeah, this...Vitalogy used to be my clear number one, but I think Yield may have overtaken it.

PostPosted: Wed January 30, 2013 9:39 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

digster wrote:
EJ wrote:

Yeah, this...Vitalogy used to be my clear number one, but I think Yield may have overtaken it.

its always just a touch behind No Code for me, but real close, and when i ranked all the songs, this one was a good bit ahead of No Code, Yield is a better collection of songs but No Code has the better over all album feel

PostPosted: Wed January 30, 2013 9:41 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

digster wrote:
EJ wrote:

I usually put Vitalogy ahead in rankings, but they are basically tied for number one in my mind.

PostPosted: Wed January 30, 2013 10:05 pm 
Jeff's Infallible Pendulum

I always thought Pilate was a pretty good song. Really nice chorus and understated verses. It deserved more of an airing live.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1115 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 56  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam