The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next

Rate the Fixer (AFTER LALing to it)
5 Stars 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
4 Stars 22%  22%  [ 15 ]
3 Stars 31%  31%  [ 21 ]
2 Stars 18%  18%  [ 12 ]
1 Star 26%  26%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 68
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: The Fixer
PostPosted: Sun August 11, 2013 5:54 pm 
Commissioner

McParadigm wrote:
"I WANNA FIGHT TO GET IT BACK AGAIN" (takes three years off)

He went to see his friend.

PostPosted: Sun August 11, 2013 6:59 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

McParadigm wrote:
History has granted this track a sexy, sexy level of irony that you are all overlooking.

"I WANNA FIGHT TO GET IT BACK AGAIN" (takes three years off)

Seriously works in its benefit.

:nice:

PostPosted: Sun August 11, 2013 7:33 pm 
Future Drummer

It's a good Matt Cameron song ruined by Eddie's horrible lyrics and whoever the fuck wrote that gawdawful middle-8.

PostPosted: Mon August 12, 2013 4:07 am 
Rank This Poster

im listening to it right now, and I actually like the melody somehow. The piano doesnt annoys me either. Its not what Id expect from Pearl Jam but I cant say I dont enjoy it.
The middle 8 can be a little too cheesy, but Im okay with it.
4 stars for me.

PostPosted: Mon August 12, 2013 4:35 am 
AnalLog

i'm puzzled by the amount of hatred the bridge gets. i'm honestly wondering what people dislike in it. my personnal bone of contention over this song is the verses' riff that i find, dare i say, cheesy. the bridge works fine for me - i like the harmonies, the chords are rich and go somewhere... so please, enlighten me, good people.

PostPosted: Mon August 12, 2013 6:36 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

mastaflatch wrote:
i'm puzzled by the amount of hatred the bridge gets. i'm honestly wondering what people dislike in it. my personnal bone of contention over this song is the verses' riff that i find, dare i say, cheesy. the bridge works fine for me - i like the harmonies, the chords are rich and go somewhere... so please, enlighten me, good people.

People hate the bridge? Personally I seldom even get to the bridge. Its the least inoffensive part of the song I guess. Except for the part around the 3:00 mark.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Mon August 12, 2013 1:21 pm 
The Master

The verse riff is far from cheesy. idiots.

PostPosted: Mon August 12, 2013 1:22 pm 

Strat wrote:

PostPosted: Mon August 12, 2013 1:22 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Needs some DJ scratches

PostPosted: Mon August 12, 2013 1:24 pm 

Needs a rap by Xzibit, or a remix by David Guetta.

PostPosted: Mon August 12, 2013 2:24 pm 
Broken Tamborine
 WWW  Profile

The bridge of this song is terrible in my opinion. When listening to the song for the first time I remember thinking "Oh man, I hope there is a good bridge to save this." I was terribly disappointed.

PostPosted: Mon August 12, 2013 3:23 pm 
AnalLog

harmless wrote:
Strat wrote:

that's the part of the song that sounds 80s to me, the rest is actually pretty cool and i can even admit that even if it sounds cheesy to me, it's not a bad cheese. i love cheese. i just don't think it suits PJ all that well. there aren't many moments in their catalogue that i feel embarrassed about when i play it to non-fans and that part of The Fixer is one. the band version of SoS is another followed by You Are, Evacuation and Marker's chorus.

PostPosted: Mon August 12, 2013 3:41 pm 
AnalLog

My wife knows my obsession with PJ but doesnt share it. Says their music is too heavy for her. When she heard me listening to The Fixer for the first time, she said "Boo, if this is your Pearl Jam they've turned into a mellow boy band!" :lol:

Then she said it was a good song. For a boy band

PostPosted: Mon August 12, 2013 3:50 pm 

mastaflatch wrote:
harmless wrote:
Strat wrote:

that's the part of the song that sounds 80s to me, the rest is actually pretty cool and i can even admit that even if it sounds cheesy to me, it's not a bad cheese. i love cheese. i just don't think it suits PJ all that well. there aren't many moments in their catalogue that i feel embarrassed about when i play it to non-fans and that part of The Fixer is one. the band version of SoS is another followed by You Are, Evacuation and Marker's chorus.

The bits you call '80s' are the best bits. Everything else is aimless and generic. The verses are good because they sound like something from an 80s roadtrip-in-a-pink-convertible type teen movie. If they'd achieved more of that in Backspacer it would've been awesome.

PostPosted: Mon August 12, 2013 4:38 pm 
AnalLog

harmless wrote:
mastaflatch wrote:
harmless wrote:
Strat wrote:

The bits you call '80s' are the best bits. Everything else is aimless and generic. The verses are good because they sound like something from an 80s roadtrip-in-a-pink-convertible type teen movie. If they'd achieved more of that in Backspacer it would've been awesome.

the intro riff is far from being aimless and generic. it's the best part of the song for me.
i think that the bridge is pretty good too - i don't know what is aimless about it, generic, maybe? nice vocal harmonies going on, a melody that takes you from A to B with uh, confidence?
so we basically have three riffs going on in that song and you seemingly champion the one i dislike but your justification (an 80s roadtrip-in-a-pink-convertible type teen movie) just made me dislike it even more. you can keep it, thanks! yeh yeh yeh.

PostPosted: Mon August 12, 2013 4:42 pm 

mastaflatch wrote:
harmless wrote:
mastaflatch wrote:
harmless wrote:
Strat wrote:

the intro riff is far from being aimless and generic. it's the best part of the song for me.
i think that the bridge is pretty good too - i don't know what is aimless about it, generic, maybe? nice vocal harmonies going on, a melody that takes you from A to B with uh, confidence?
so we basically have three riffs going on in that song and you seemingly champion the one i dislike but your justification (an 80s roadtrip-in-a-pink-convertible type teen movie) just made me dislike it even more. you can keep it, thanks! yeh yeh yeh.

That was an era in which movies were good though. I wasn't poo-pooing the rest of the song, just saying that the bits mastaflatch dismisses based simply on the fact that they sound 80s... that's a bit weird. There's nothing wrong with 80s if it's done well; trouble is, a fair bit of Backspacer wasn't.

PostPosted: Mon August 12, 2013 5:07 pm 
The worst

guys, I already was quite clear about which parts of the fixer are a problem. It's never the music.

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon August 12, 2013 5:20 pm 

Exactly.

PostPosted: Mon August 12, 2013 5:26 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

I hate the music.

PostPosted: Mon August 12, 2013 5:28 pm 
The worst

theplatypus wrote:
I hate the music.

I just finished being clear about this like two posts ago. Pay attention

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam