7%
1 Star
7%

Total votes : 14

Re: Song of the Moment: Got Some

Tue October 31, 2017 2:41 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:
stip wrote:why a faux master as opposed to a faux mix

Remixing implies the use of individual tracks; I'd say there are anywhere from 24 to 50 tracks on Got Some. A faux master just uses stereo stems, which is far more creatively limiting, and in this case probably means 8-10 stereo tracks that have already been mixed and mastered.

Tue October 31, 2017 4:23 pm

This song is a great frickin jam. Love Matt Cameron on this, a Backspacer gem.

Tue October 31, 2017 4:35 pm

Monkey_Driven wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Remixing implies the use of individual tracks; I'd say there are anywhere from 24 to 50 tracks on Got Some. A faux master just uses stereo stems, which is far more creatively limiting, and in this case probably means 8-10 stereo tracks that have already been mixed and mastered.

I'll explain further:

Once the recording industry shifted to a digital production and delivery model, the record labels began mixing albums by committee; that is, they'd hire someone to do a mix, then share the mix with the entire band, management team, and A&R department, because it was so easy to just email the mix out. With so many opinions to be considered, engineers took up the habit of printing stereo "stems," two-track mix-downs that would typically look like this for a song like Got Some:

Drums + Percussion
Bass
Rhythm Guitars
Lead guitars
Keys
Vocals

That way, if one of the A&R guys said "Could I hear it with the vox a little louder?", it didn't require a full remix; the engineer could simply bring the vocal stems up 1 or dBs, a process that would take all of five minutes to edit and deliver. Whereas remixing a song like Got Some would probably have a track layout that looks something like this:

kick drum (in)
kick drum (out)
rack tom 1 (top)
rack tom 1 (bottom)
rack tom 2 (top)
rack tom 2 (bottom)
floor tom 1 (top)
floor tom 1 (bottom)
floor tom 2 (top)
floor tom 2 (bottom)
snare (top)
snare (bottom)
overhead left
over head right
Room mic 1
Room mic 2
Room mic 3

And that's just the drum setup. You get the idea.

Tue October 31, 2017 4:52 pm

Mic McCready, amirite??

Tue October 31, 2017 11:27 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

I'll explain further:

Once the recording industry shifted to a digital production and delivery model, the record labels began mixing albums by committee; that is, they'd hire someone to do a mix, then share the mix with the entire band, management team, and A&R department, because it was so easy to just email the mix out. With so many opinions to be considered, engineers took up the habit of printing stereo "stems," two-track mix-downs that would typically look like this for a song like Got Some:

Drums + Percussion
Bass
Rhythm Guitars
Lead guitars
Keys
Vocals

That way, if one of the A&R guys said "Could I hear it with the vox a little louder?", it didn't require a full remix; the engineer could simply bring the vocal stems up 1 or dBs, a process that would take all of five minutes to edit and deliver. Whereas remixing a song like Got Some would probably have a track layout that looks something like this:

kick drum (in)
kick drum (out)
rack tom 1 (top)
rack tom 1 (bottom)
rack tom 2 (top)
rack tom 2 (bottom)
floor tom 1 (top)
floor tom 1 (bottom)
floor tom 2 (top)
floor tom 2 (bottom)
snare (top)
snare (bottom)
overhead left
over head right
Room mic 1
Room mic 2
Room mic 3

And that's just the drum setup. You get the idea.

Tue October 31, 2017 11:33 pm

Still love that ass-kicking debut version on Conan's first Tonight Show episode

Thu November 02, 2017 3:32 am

Fat Ed and Mike is WAY too high in the mix but it's fun.

Thu November 02, 2017 4:36 am

Wow, thanks evenslow. Hadn't seen that for years. That version rips.

Thu November 02, 2017 4:39 am

The one and only time they performed the song in its original key, if I’m not mistaken.

Thu November 02, 2017 7:21 am

I feel like if you didn't ever listen to Pearl Jam and just watched this clip you'd think they were horrible. I feel like you guys are lowering your standards because you've watched everything they've ever done.

Thu November 02, 2017 7:25 am

That was pretty kewl.

Thu November 02, 2017 11:57 am

someone got paid top dollar to do that awful mix.

Thu November 02, 2017 2:23 pm

Ha, Ed looks better now that he did then.

I remember being really excited for Backspacer about that performance. Those were the days...

Thu November 02, 2017 7:51 pm

mikejasond wrote:I feel like if you didn't ever listen to Pearl Jam and just watched this clip you'd think they were horrible. I feel like you guys are lowering your standards because you've watched everything they've ever done.

No. Good song. Good performance.

Thu November 02, 2017 7:59 pm

I really like Stone' headbanging around the 2:00 mark, and then again at the end.

Thu November 02, 2017 8:04 pm

Yes, very cool version.

Thu November 02, 2017 8:25 pm

yeah, that's a lot more blistering than I remember. nice.

Thu November 02, 2017 8:29 pm

I dunno what you guys are hearing, Eddie is barely audible and he sounds awful even if he was heard.

The tolerance of a lead singer who can't sing his own songs is so weird.

Thu November 02, 2017 8:30 pm

Yeah, the mix of that performance was bad.

Loved the energy though.

Thu November 02, 2017 8:30 pm

I love how EV goes to stand on the drum stage so he doesn't look so short next to Conan.
Post a reply