1 Star
9%

Total votes : 11

Song of the Moment: Supersonic

Fri December 28, 2012 6:14 pm

old thread archived here

Re: Song of the Moment: Supersonic

Tue February 18, 2020 7:24 am

Why is this song so notorious for being horrible? It never stands out to me either way on the album. It's not great but it doesn't sound horrible to me. Just ok. And I like the verse melodies a lot. It seems too short to be that offensive. And has a very unexpected bridge/solo which is interesting to me.

Tue February 18, 2020 8:04 am

If a song could possibly be killed, I would shoot this one the moment it opened its mouth

Tue February 18, 2020 8:06 am

mikejasond wrote:Why is this song so notorious for being horrible? It never stands out to me either way on the album. It's not great but it doesn't sound horrible to me. Just ok. And I like the verse melodies a lot. It seems too short to be that offensive. And has a very unexpected bridge/solo which is interesting to me.

its hip and cool and has old man attitude 8-) 8-) 8-)

or does it?

Tue February 18, 2020 8:15 am

this and LTRP are the most embarrassing PJ songs by a country mile

Tue February 18, 2020 8:15 am

It's brash and a little lazy sounding. Even the band knew it was filler.

Tue February 18, 2020 8:18 am

I hadn’t listened to this song in probably 6 or 7 years.

This bump made me listen to it again.

Nope. Back to the vault you go.

Tue February 18, 2020 12:49 pm

It's one of the worst songs on the worst PJ album so it has that going for it.

Tue February 18, 2020 12:51 pm

Yeah, this is easily one of the most forgettable songs they've ever put out. The bridge is pretty cool, and the way it leads into the last chorus, but overall it's a dud.

Stone's quote from the Billboard Q&A around the time of release was interesting:
Yeah, that's probably not too crazily far off. I wrote the riffs. The verses are what I wrote last. The original arrangement was overly complex. When I first heard Ed start singing it, I thought it had this Ramones or Springsteen thing going on. It feels very New York.

Would be curious to hear that original arrangement, surely more interesting than what we ended up with.

Tue February 18, 2020 12:55 pm

Yes. The song has a lot of potential, but completely wastes it. Especially the drums and bass are awful when they speed up.

Tue February 18, 2020 1:25 pm

Ms Harmless wrote:this and LTRP are the most embarrassing PJ songs by a country mile

i like a fair bit of LTRP - the only redeemable thing about this song is the out of place bridge

Tue February 18, 2020 1:35 pm

stip wrote:
Ms Harmless wrote:this and LTRP are the most embarrassing PJ songs by a country mile

i like a fair bit of LTRP - the only redeemable thing about this song is the out of place bridge

fair

I remember thinking LTRP was attempting a Marc Bolan / T-Rex type swagger, and that's cool; I just don't think PJ are glitter-queer enough to pull that off properly

Tue February 18, 2020 2:01 pm

hey trag, what a coincidence that this thread was bumped this morning, huh?

Tue February 18, 2020 2:16 pm

Ms Harmless wrote:
stip wrote:

fair

I remember thinking LTRP was attempting a Marc Bolan / T-Rex type swagger, and that's cool; I just don't think PJ are glitter-queer enough to pull that off properly

not fully, but I didnt mind the attempt

Tue February 18, 2020 3:52 pm

Oh man if I only had pollster rights, we would totally be ranking the Spritzers right now

Tue February 18, 2020 4:00 pm

Pendulum and Come Back are more embarrassing than Supersonic and Let The Records Play.

Tue February 18, 2020 7:24 pm

Supersonic is one of the better sub par Pearl Jam songs

Tue February 18, 2020 9:36 pm

Kylus wrote:Yeah, this is easily one of the most forgettable songs they've ever put out. The bridge is pretty cool, and the way it leads into the last chorus, but overall it's a dud.

Stone's quote from the Billboard Q&A around the time of release was interesting:
Yeah, that's probably not too crazily far off. I wrote the riffs. The verses are what I wrote last. The original arrangement was overly complex. When I first heard Ed start singing it, I thought it had this Ramones or Springsteen thing going on. It feels very New York.

Would be curious to hear that original arrangement, surely more interesting than what we ended up with.

Yeah, I'd be very interested to hear that.

Tue February 18, 2020 9:46 pm

I'm listening to this after a few SBWM spins.

SBWM is clearly much superior.

Supersonic starts out with a punch to get your attention, but then it's all downhill from there and there's nothing at the bottom of the hill. I think i like the SBWM solo/breakdown better, and the yeah yeah yeahs at the end of Supersonice are just as bad, maybe worse than the la la las of SBWM.

Tue February 18, 2020 9:49 pm

Birds in Hell wrote:
Kylus wrote:Yeah, this is easily one of the most forgettable songs they've ever put out. The bridge is pretty cool, and the way it leads into the last chorus, but overall it's a dud.

Yeah, I'd be very interested to hear that.

that is interesting, never knew that. would like to hear that someday too.
Post a reply