The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Time to send Matt back to SG?
PostPosted: Wed November 06, 2013 5:17 am 
A Return To Form

Even Ed's telling him off, butchering what's meant to be a special moment

*dreams about Dave A being back in the band

Post subject: Re: Time to send Matt back to SG?
PostPosted: Wed November 06, 2013 5:23 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Is this that video everyone was talking about the other day?

It's Boom's "fault": Matt's setting the tempo to begin the song, Boom should've followed suit but he comes in substantially slower. Matt tries to adjust but it's still a mess.

PostPosted: Wed November 06, 2013 5:28 am 
A Return To Form

Birds in Hell wrote:

It's Boom's "fault": Matt's setting the tempo to begin the song, Boom should've followed suit but he comes in substantially slower. Matt tries to adjust but it's still a mess.

there shouldn't be any drums during CD to begin with (as per the original).

it sounds better slower imo

PostPosted: Wed November 06, 2013 5:33 am 
Looks Like a Cat

It's not as though Matt's playing thunderous fills through the intro, he's just sign-posting the tempo so the whole band is on the same page (which is a pretty common practice for live bands). Boom didn't get the memo, evidently.

That said, I agree that Boom's tempo is probably more appropriate for the song. However, if the band generally have Matt playing that time-keeping role (and they do), it's really Boom's job to follow Matt's lead.

PostPosted: Wed November 06, 2013 5:38 am 
Looks Like a Cat

They probably should've just restarted the song.

PostPosted: Wed November 06, 2013 5:39 am 
A Return To Form

Birds in Hell wrote:
It's not as though Matt's playing thunderous fills through the intro, he's just sign-posting the tempo so the whole band is on the same page (which is a pretty common practice for live bands). Boom didn't get the memo, evidently.

That said, I agree that Boom's tempo is probably more appropriate for the song. However, if the band generally have Matt playing that time-keeping role (and they do), it's really Boom's job to follow Matt's lead.

true, they don't call him Matt 'metronome' Cameron for nothing.

Also, booms playing the riff wrong, misses a few notes & makes the song not as good to me :( I'm guessing its on purpose cause BoB plays it spot on in the 2000 version, I've even seen stone showing BoB how to play it in the PJ20 video

PostPosted: Wed November 06, 2013 5:57 am 
AnalLog

Clearly he shouldn't be playing the part and leave it to free time for boom. However, boom started with him but lost him on the third bar. A mess from there on out. They can figure that out with a minute conversation though

Rip pj?

PostPosted: Wed November 06, 2013 6:00 am 
A Return To Form

gardenparty wrote:
Clearly he shouldn't be playing the part and leave it to free time for boom. However, boom started with him but lost him on the third bar. A mess from there on out. They can figure that out with a minute conversation though

Rip pj?

exactly

some parts don't need a drummer keeping time as it makes it sound worse. imagine if matt did this for intro to Present Tense. exactly the same situation imo

PostPosted: Wed November 06, 2013 6:08 am 
The Master

they should probably just retire this one

PostPosted: Wed November 06, 2013 6:22 am 
AnalLog

spike wrote:
they should probably just retire this one

:thumbsup:
A crown is nice once a tour but I'm with ya on this

PostPosted: Wed November 06, 2013 7:45 am 
Jeff's Infallible Pendulum

I enjoy watching bands try handle a malfunction on stage. Nice band leading by Ed, he seemed to indicate that Boom was playing it right and Matt should get in line with him. Eitherway I agree this baby should be put on the shelf for a bit.

PostPosted: Wed November 06, 2013 9:29 am 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

It was great the first few times they played it, because we could forgive the little mistakes here and there because it had been so long since Jeff and Stone had played it live, and the rest of them had to learn it. But after all these years they've had a chance to get it right, and they're just butchering it.

PostPosted: Wed November 06, 2013 11:01 am 
Commissioner

Back to SG?

PostPosted: Wed November 06, 2013 12:50 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Birds in Hell wrote:

Boom didn't need Matt to count him in, it's completely obvious to me. Boom doesn't need Matt TAP-TAP-TAPPING through his part, and neither does Ed. So yes, Matt starts too fast. Yes, Boom tries to pull the tempo back (because Boom's tempo was more appropriate to the song, and slow is better than fast) but no, Matt can't adjust because he's tapping too fucking loudly. The guy has no sensitivity.

It is not *only* Matt's fault. But it is *mostly* Matt's fault, here. Boom and Ed could've done this intro perfectly fine by themselves.

PostPosted: Wed November 06, 2013 12:51 pm 

pappas wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

there shouldn't be any drums during CD to begin with (as per the original).

it sounds better slower imo

Exactly.

Matt's lack of sensitivity means that he thinks a song involving a piano and a voice needs him in it.

PostPosted: Wed November 06, 2013 12:56 pm 

pappas wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:

true, they don't call him Matt 'metronome' Cameron for nothing.

Also, booms playing the riff wrong, misses a few notes & makes the song not as good to me :( I'm guessing its on purpose cause BoB plays it spot on in the 2000 version, I've even seen stone showing BoB how to play it in the PJ20 video

I'm starting to wonder whether they call him Matt 'metronome' Cameron because he doesn't shut up during intros. In any case, it's a bit strange that he's famed for doing something which is a pretty basic drummer's first lesson: how to keep time. Imagine if a builder was famous for being able to lay bricks. Patronising, no?

PostPosted: Wed November 06, 2013 2:27 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

I could open this thread or the "moneygrab" thread and not know the difference, really.

PostPosted: Wed November 06, 2013 2:48 pm 
Banned from the Pit

PostPosted: Wed November 06, 2013 2:48 pm 

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I could open this thread or the "moneygrab" thread and not know the difference, really.

Merge!

PostPosted: Wed November 06, 2013 2:51 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

E.H. Ruddock wrote:

this could also be tossed into the PJ Bitching thread.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam