The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Eddie's anti gun rant during the the Mark Richards inter
PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2013 9:39 pm 
Online
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Wed February 06, 2013 2:47 am
Posts: 18907
Location: Hunter
It started as Prostate cancer awareness and has been dumbed down to a slogan


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Eddie's anti gun rant during the the Mark Richards inter
PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2013 9:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Unqualified to be an Admin
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed December 19, 2012 9:53 pm
Posts: 9602
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, USA
IlluminEddie wrote:
B wrote:
IlluminEddie wrote:
Call me crazy, but I don't think many normal humans have recreational axe tossing games.


I bet a lot more houses have axes than have guns.



But, do they have games set up in their back yard where you are supposed to throw the axes at a target?

Ironically, an axe thrown in the air may be more 'risky to actually hit something i wasn't supposed to' than a bullet. Because it's bigger.


I feel silly continuing this line of argument b/c (1) it's off the topic of whether or not a musician has any place making these arguments and (2) your argument for gaming axes needing more regulation is so full of holes it couldn't catch a dolphin, but ... 75% of an axe would cause non-lethal bruising in an accidental hit.

Image

_________________
"In a roundabout way, Boba Fett created Pearl Jam." - Chuck Klosterman


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Eddie's anti gun rant during the the Mark Richards inter
PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2013 9:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 34270
Location: Donkeys live a long time.
LetMeSleep wrote:
It started as Prostate cancer awareness and has been dumbed down to a slogan

What's funny is that by expanding it to "all dude diseases" its rendered completely pointless, as if it wasn't ineffective enough already.

_________________
Death is coming. Eat trash. Be free.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Eddie's anti gun rant during the the Mark Richards inter
PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2013 9:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:10 pm
Posts: 14889
yeah, that axe - regulation thing is pretty hilarious.

Not everything needs a regulation.

_________________
BONE FUCKIN´ TOMAHAWK.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Eddie's anti gun rant during the the Mark Richards inter
PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2013 9:46 pm 
Online
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Wed February 06, 2013 2:47 am
Posts: 18907
Location: Hunter
BurtReynolds wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:
It started as Prostate cancer awareness and has been dumbed down to a slogan

What's funny is that by expanding it to "all dude diseases" its rendered completely pointless, as if it wasn't ineffective enough already.

Not sure I agree. We're talking about it now and every 12 months someone somewhere asks what's with the ridiculous moustaches.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Eddie's anti gun rant during the the Mark Richards inter
PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2013 9:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 03, 2013 8:10 pm
Posts: 1859
BurtReynolds wrote:
This seems as good a place as any to post this because this thread is impossibly stupid...

So November is now movember, to bring awareness to "men's health issues"? Lol, that is literally the dumbest fucking thing I've ever heard. Awareness to "men's health issues"?! Is this a problem?! are there people out there who believe men are immortal? There is literally nothing less you can do than "not shave" to bring awareness to something as vague as "men's health issues".

At least the wearing pink thing is specific enough to breast cancer. I can't imagine anyone not knowing about it either, and its mostly just good PR for corporations, but at least it has some point.

I don't shave because I'm extraordinarily lazy. That is all the motivation I need.

I don't know what or who is behind it but it's been around for a couple of years for raising awareness of "male" cancer. Btw. I loathe this gender characterisations of cancer. I for instance know more about lung cancer than i would have liked to and i wonder why the hell awareness about it is practically non existent, especially when it comes to the early signs.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Eddie's anti gun rant during the the Mark Richards inter
PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2013 9:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 34270
Location: Donkeys live a long time.
LetMeSleep wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:
It started as Prostate cancer awareness and has been dumbed down to a slogan

What's funny is that by expanding it to "all dude diseases" its rendered completely pointless, as if it wasn't ineffective enough already.

Not sure I agree. We're talking about it now and every 12 months someone somewhere asks what's with the ridiculous moustaches.

"Hey what's with all the mustaches? "

"Oh it turns out men can die of stuff"

"Oh shit, I better get checked for everything."

"I'm saved!"

_________________
Death is coming. Eat trash. Be free.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Eddie's anti gun rant during the the Mark Richards inter
PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2013 9:50 pm 
Online
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Wed February 06, 2013 2:47 am
Posts: 18907
Location: Hunter
But once a year you're reminded to get that check. It doesn't hurt to be reminded. And there are gender specific cancers and those charity bodies look after themselves.

btw I still haven't found a Dr with the necessary slim fingers. I'm 38 so I should get looking.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Eddie's anti gun rant during the the Mark Richards inter
PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2013 9:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 1:56 am
Posts: 15227
Gimmicky Awareness-Raising Activity Cures Cancer Everybody Was Already Aware Of

_________________
Cell Phone Songs



Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Eddie's anti gun rant during the the Mark Richards inter
PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2013 9:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 34270
Location: Donkeys live a long time.
Seventeen people just died of facial hair related causes. Beard fires, getting mustaches caught in machinery, ill fitting gas masks... Great job, movember!

_________________
Death is coming. Eat trash. Be free.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Eddie's anti gun rant during the the Mark Richards inter
PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2013 9:53 pm 
Online
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Wed February 06, 2013 2:47 am
Posts: 18907
Location: Hunter
When I did Movember I had to be clean shaven on Nov 1st.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Eddie's anti gun rant during the the Mark Richards inter
PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2013 9:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 1:56 am
Posts: 15227
The most ardent "breast cancer awareness" maniac I ever met was a woman who was both overweight and opted not to breastfeed her children.

So...I didn't really understand.

_________________
Cell Phone Songs



Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Eddie's anti gun rant during the the Mark Richards inter
PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2013 9:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 03, 2013 8:10 pm
Posts: 1859
McParadigm wrote:
Gimmicky Awareness-Raising Activity Cures Cancer Everybody Was Already Aware Of

so do apricot kernels apparently, that of course if the cyanide thingy doesn't take over


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Eddie's anti gun rant during the the Mark Richards inter
PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2013 10:02 pm 
Offline
Broken Tamborine
 Profile

Joined: Fri July 12, 2013 8:16 pm
Posts: 470
stupidmop wrote:
Cool, I get all that I guess, but I think personally if the band ran things got to a point where I thought they were sickening I'd have to step back from the band a little.


See, I don't understand how someone who agrees with Ed on most political issues, couldn't find it sickening. That's the irony. I don't really agree with him (most often). So, when he or the band do things that come across as hypocritical (on greed or whatnot), it kinda just shows his original POV was off. I would think that the band "selling-out" per se, would affect those against corporate greed, etc. more than someone who's a capitalist. Think about it.


stupidmop wrote:
I definitely believe the band should get a little shit for some of their recent decisions. Though, I say band because I know ed has the Mic and we get to hear what he has to say more than the other guys, he's not single handedly making the decisions, I have a niggling suspicion that at least some of the discrepancies between what ed says and the band does is down to him conceding to the band on things.

[/quote]
I understand your point. But, just using that interview, for example. Ed's the guy who did that. He said that. He's offered no apology. He's also the guy who did the axe throwing and so on. You can say, well axe toss competition stuff isn't as bad as guns. I get all that. The point is, the guy isn't really even considering it. I mean, if you're going to go into an interview and spout off on an issue like that. AND. You're going to have ads for your new album with you wielding deadly weapons... perhaps, you could at least apologize? Say it came out wrong. Or something. To me, I feel like it really did not come out wrong. Which I hope you'd agree, is fucked up "IF" that's the case.

On the band - I think Ed has pretty much all the control. If he says no, do that and we're through.... I think they listen.


stupidmop wrote:
Wasn't he best friends with johnny ramone who was a republican? I assume they had more than a few differing opinions. (I might be thinking about someone else here).

I could have predicted this on ;) His one 'different' friend. Yes, I believe they were friends. That doesn't make Ed open-minded. To have one republican friend who was also a rock star doesn't take away what I was saying before. I don't think he's open-minded.

stupidmop wrote:
I guess to me I put down most of the discrepancies( though I don't usually think about this shit unless it comes up here) in what he says due to the fact that we're only getting snapshots or soundbites of him talking. Like everyone has already mentioned he's not the best or most comfortable public speaker, we don't know what its like to have an actual conversation with him, for all we know he could be an amazing conversationalist when there's not a camera in his face, or a reporter writing things down or thousands of people standing in front of him.

I honestly think it's possible to defend anyone of anything they've done or said with this sort of logic. In fact, I think Ed fans do that frequently. I think it's probably true that he's not a great public speaker. But, truth be told, I don't think he seems like he's having a tough time with interviews and I'm not so sure this really is "public speaking". I think he gets rambling and states what he feels. I actually think that's what he thinks.

I won't give him the pass on having a camera there or it being a "tough" interview because it's one of his friends in his band's practice studio. Seems kinda scapegoating to pretend it's the interview situation, to me. I truly believe this is who Ed is.

stupidmop wrote:
And you could say maybe he shouldnt be talking about things in public at all then, but I think he'd rather feel like he's raising awareness or getting people talking, which he is, if this thread is anything to go by. Plus its not like we've seen him shut down someone trying to have a debate with him, someone asked him a question and he answered.


[/quote]
I think he rambles. And I think he thinks about these things often. I don't believe he thinks about them critically, however. So, when he gets rambling, he thinks of one of these topics, and baam.... out comes a line that the press will talk about.

Do I think he could control this? Yes. I do. I think he doesn't want to. Once again, I bet he does think about these things. Critically - no. But, he does probably read what Zinn had to say or something of that nature. Which ironically, circles him back to passion, which circles him back to making these mistakes. Yet, they aren't mistakes... because we hear no apology.

He has never debated anyone - ever publically (other than an large portion of a crowd with the BUsh thing) to my knowlege. So, the part on a debate, not sure where that's coming from. In fact, that's kinda my point. He only allows himself to speak either when he has the mic or in interview situations where he won't be challenged. In a sense, he likes to live in a bubble.

stupidmop wrote:
I still think its easier to kill some one with a gun than an axe. Do you think if there were axe sprees at schools and in malls and on the streets on the regular, and people wanted to ban axes, he'd start ranting about his right to own an axe and chop his own wood?


I think it's easier to hurt someone accidentally with a axe tossing game situated in one's house, then it is to have a small fire arm (used for target practice) locked up upstairs. Let's just say they are equal. My point is - how does he get off telling "everyone" who has a gun (even those who are good with it) that he wishes them ill? I think that's kinda sick. I honestly can't see how anyone would defend it.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Eddie's anti gun rant during the the Mark Richards inter
PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2013 10:05 pm 
Online
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Wed February 06, 2013 2:47 am
Posts: 18907
Location: Hunter
Guys none of us know Ed the person only Ed the persona. And sure he said some shit 20 years ago that he may now contradict. I'm sure I said a lot of stupid shit over the years and will continue to do so. And hopefully any POVs I have are constantly challenged through my life.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Eddie's anti gun rant during the the Mark Richards inter
PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2013 10:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 03, 2013 8:10 pm
Posts: 1859
LetMeSleep wrote:
But once a year you're reminded to get that check. It doesn't hurt to be reminded. And there are gender specific cancers and those charity bodies look after themselves.

btw I still haven't found a Dr with the necessary slim fingers. I'm 38 so I should get looking.

I was thinking what if you have it somewhere else and you think you're ok because the result of your prostate exam was ok? Plus a year can be a lot of time for cancer.
It just gets trivialised way too often to the point it can be counter-productive. I think that besides encouraging routine checks for a couple of them it would be appropriate to raise awareness of the early signs of at least the most common ones. Who'd think a back pain or pain in the legs alone can be a symptom of lung cancer. And this shit isn't all that rare.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Eddie's anti gun rant during the the Mark Richards inter
PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2013 10:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 30, 2013 4:30 pm
Posts: 4728
We need a National Terrible Discussion Awareness month. Every month.

_________________
cutuphalfdead wrote:
so glad i don't see signatures


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Eddie's anti gun rant during the the Mark Richards inter
PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2013 10:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 03, 2013 8:10 pm
Posts: 1859
LetMeSleep wrote:
Guys none of us know Ed the person only Ed the persona.

you'd think otherwise, wouldn't you?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Eddie's anti gun rant during the the Mark Richards inter
PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2013 10:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The worst
 Profile

Joined: Thu December 13, 2012 6:31 pm
Posts: 31729
Heathen wrote:
We need a National Terrible Discussion Awareness month. Every month.

:lol:

_________________
So many tournaments, so little time


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Eddie's anti gun rant during the the Mark Richards inter
PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2013 10:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:41 pm
Posts: 18711
People are still engaging IlluminEddie in discussion?

_________________
RisingTides wrote:
There is more kindness on the internet than we would care to admit to ourselves. Sometimes we are so afraid of falling victim to a ruse, we miss out on actual opportunities.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Wed October 17, 2018 8:28 am