Switch to full style
General Pearl Jam discussion.
Post a reply

Re: Eddie's anti gun rant during the the Mark Richards inter

Thu October 10, 2013 1:47 am

harmless wrote:
Tj wrote:
harmless wrote:Are you fucking serious?

Yes I am serious, why would this surprise you?

What, that you're giving away all your PJ records and abandoning the band over an angry, reactive political comment? Why wouldn't that surprise me?

Harmless, a angry rant is fine it is not that he pointed the bad things comment at political figures he directed it at gun owners. He is not a kid he is mature adult.

Thu October 10, 2013 1:49 am

Tj wrote:
harmless wrote:
Tj wrote:

What, that you're giving away all your PJ records and abandoning the band over an angry, reactive political comment? Why wouldn't that surprise me?

Harmless, a angry rant is fine it is not that he pointed the bad things comment at political figures he directed it at gun owners. He is not a kid he is mature adult.

that's why he said almost.

The important thing to remember here is that anyone holding contrary political views must only be acting out of either malice or ignorance. Wishing violence upon them seems perfectly reasonable in the circumstances! After all, it's completely impossible to separate a human being from their views and opinions.

Excellent.

Tj wrote:
harmless wrote:
Tj wrote:

i'd hate to see how you'd react at an eddie anti-run-on-sentence rant

Thu October 10, 2013 1:50 am

I almost hope that bad things happen to this thread.

Tj wrote:
harmless wrote:
Tj wrote:

I "almost" wish bad things would happen to them, he said. But of course, he doesn't.

The implication, to me, was that when terrible things happen to people, they realise the seriousness of the objects they are holding (guns, knives, etc). He is anti-gun, so his concern is that people simply don't take for granted that they are objects designed to hurt. His statement meant to me that he *almost* thinks that people have to be shocked by tragedy to really understand that. But he is sad about that. That's what I gathered from the comment.
Last edited by harmless on Thu October 10, 2013 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Strat wrote:Image

Hmm. Shit, this gif goes perfectly with the Act Of Love from the 98 DC Show

stip wrote:
Tj wrote:
stip wrote:it's a careless comment expressing frustration at a gun lobby that manages to prevent even common sense gun control laws in response to massacres that produce piles of dead children.

Well I get that, but to wish bad things upon gun owners? Eddie never seemed like a twit. We have very different world views, but I never thought I would hear this from him.

I take it you're a gun owner?

Yes Stip I own guns. I make a living from the shooting sports industry.

Thu October 10, 2013 1:52 am

I haven't listened to the interview, but was he talking about gun owners or individuals who feel there should be no gun regulation whatsoever?

Thu October 10, 2013 1:52 am

And also, "angry kid" and "mature adult" aren't mutually exclusive. Ed has always had both sides to his character. He's a cool, smart guy but sometimes an idiot. Like me.

Thu October 10, 2013 1:53 am

harmless wrote:
Tj wrote:
harmless wrote:
Tj wrote:

I "almost" wish bad things would happen to them, he said. But of course, he doesn't.

The implication, to me, was that when terrible things happen to people, they realise the seriousness of the objects they are holding (guns, knives, etc). He is anti-gun, so his concern is that people simply don't take for granted that they are objects designed to hurt. His statement meant to me that he *almost* thinks that people have to be shocked by tragedy to really understand that. But he is sad about that. That's what I gathered from the comment.

I see this way of thinking, and you could be right.

Thu October 10, 2013 1:55 am

Tj wrote:
harmless wrote:
Tj wrote:
harmless wrote:
Tj wrote:

Im super pumped that pjchat was able to help you gain some context in the matter. Hopefully you can now unleash Lightning Bolt on your household

Thu October 10, 2013 1:56 am

Birds in Hell wrote:The important thing to remember here is that anyone holding contrary political views must only be acting out of either malice or ignorance. Wishing violence upon them seems perfectly reasonable in the circumstances! After all, it's completely impossible to separate a human being from their views and opinions.

Excellent.

weren't you the guy who called people who had their children circumcised child abusers?

Thu October 10, 2013 1:57 am

Isn't Lightning Bolt pro-rape?

Thu October 10, 2013 1:57 am

Tj wrote:
harmless wrote:
Tj wrote:
harmless wrote:
Tj wrote:

I listened to his voice as he made the comment and there was sadness and regret in it. It was like "I can't believe I'm going to say this, but..." -- being Ed, he said it anyway. He's passionate and naive.

Thu October 10, 2013 1:58 am

B wrote:I haven't listened to the interview, but was he talking about gun owners or individuals who feel there should be no gun regulation whatsoever?

I figure gun owners as we already have gun control. The problem is if someone is going to break the law and remember it is agaist the law to murder someone. Why would they try to buy a gun by the legal means I would. I also want to clarify I am pro gun and pro gun control most gun owners are, but remember we already have gun control. Is more needed? That is the debate.

Thu October 10, 2013 1:59 am

Lament wrote:Isn't Lightning Bolt pro-rape?

Oh God. I'm partly responsible for starting this meme. It's pro-rape for the first 30 seconds, and then becomes really quite a feminist effort.

Lament wrote:Isn't Lightning Bolt pro-rape?

yeah, but that's only controversial if you're anti-gun

Tj wrote:Is more needed? That is the debate.

No. The amount of gun-related deaths in America is totally reasonable and proportionally accurate compared to the amount of gun-related deaths in other countries.
Post a reply