The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Rate Hard Sun
5 Stars 73%  73%  [ 16 ]
4 Stars 23%  23%  [ 5 ]
3 Stars 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
2 Stars 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
1 Star 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 22
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Hard Sun
PostPosted: Sat March 14, 2020 12:36 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

"Hallelujah" does have variation in the performance though. Both the original and the famous Jeff Buckley version. Plus it has verses and choruses. "Guaranteed" is just a 30-second bit of melody repeated 50 times

PostPosted: Sat March 14, 2020 2:17 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

love this song, and some of those Ed and Glen performances in Europe a few years ago are Ed solo tour at its finest

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Sat March 14, 2020 2:48 am 
The worst

theplatypus wrote:
I really do not like "Guaranteed". That level of melodic repetitiveness just loses me.

Nice lyrics/melody and the repetitiveness of contemplative guitar part works in the songs favor - the lost in my own thoughts feel of the song is a nice way to close out the record

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sat March 14, 2020 7:41 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

theplatypus wrote:
I don't like Into the Wild except for the two covers

what about Long Nights? an amazing song

PostPosted: Sat March 14, 2020 9:08 am 
She / Her

theplatypus wrote:
"Hallelujah" does have variation in the performance though. Both the original and the famous Jeff Buckley version. Plus it has verses and choruses. "Guaranteed" is just a 30-second bit of melody repeated 50 times

yes agreed, Jeff Buckley's (it's the only version I like) performance on this song is far more varied than Ed's on ITW, but I wouldn't argue that Cohen's is; Buckley does a lot more, vocally, than the bones of the song, planted firmly in folk-hymnal territory, require

I wouldn't argue that the repeated "Hallelujah" part is a chorus as such, but a refrain tag on the end of each verse, to resolve the (one) melody cycle, rather like a hymn ("oh, hear us when we cry to thee / for those in peril on the sea"); there may be a word for this used in hymns that I'm unaware of, and not all hymns or folk melodies have one (and Ed songs like "Guaranteed" don't have one either)

PostPosted: Sat March 14, 2020 12:45 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Ehhhh that's a chorus. You're describing a chorus. "Hallelujah" is a pop song too.

PostPosted: Sat March 14, 2020 12:50 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Grace is probably my favourite album of all time.

Jeff was otherworldly talented.

PostPosted: Sat March 14, 2020 1:13 pm 
She / Her

theplatypus wrote:
Ehhhh that's a chorus. You're describing a chorus. "Hallelujah" is a pop song too.

where is the chorus in "In the Bleak Midwinter", the Christmas Carol? I'm just arguing that the circling verse (with or without a change in the melody to complete each "cycle" that you're calling a chorus) is a legitimate song structure commonly found in, and particular to, this kind of music

I'm definitely not arguing that Ed writes or sings anything close to the best examples of this, just that I don't see lack of choruses as a weakness of the ITW album, given what type of songs they are

another thing I'm thinking of is campfire songs, with a "round", that is deliberately repetitive ("Kumbaya" would be one lol but I think I know your feelings about that, and River Cross)

PostPosted: Sat March 14, 2020 2:28 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

I feel like you're arguing against a point I'm not making, so just to be super-clear,

1- Not all song forms have or need a "chorus"
2- "Hallelujah," however, which is an example you offered, does have one
3- So do other folk songs and hymns
4- So does every other song on ITW except "Guaranteed" and maybe "End of the Road" (if I recall, that song is just one verse with an instrumental around it)
5- "Guaranteed" is also an especially static song where a single rudimentary verse is repeated several times with no meaningful variation in performance or arrangement
6- "Hallelujah," both the Jeff Buckley and Leonard Cohen versions, do change as they go along. There are changes in the arrangements, changes in the vocal performance, instrumental flourishes that move it along
7- I think "Guaranteed" is very boring, partly because it is so goddamn repetitive and partly because the part that repeats is so blah

PostPosted: Sun March 15, 2020 8:50 pm 
tl;dr

I have no objection to verse after verse after verse after verse with no chorus (that definitely is a very conventional folk format that some of my all-time favorite songwriters use pretty faithfully), but "Guaranteed" isn't one of the better iterations of it -- I feel like that form is one that really does require compelling lyrics, and Eddie's writing on "Guaranteed" doesn't rise far enough above his default level of nature-karma-cosmic hoo-hah to get the job done. It would have been nice as a song fragment, maybe three verses instead of six or seven.

PostPosted: Sun March 15, 2020 9:06 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

The Into The Wild soundtrack has a special feel and soul to it. Freedom and nature. Regardless of the movie. Whether it's solely Ed's responsibility, or those that helped make the soundtrack, I don't know. But his other solo album does not have any of it.

Let's say I'm at work and I have lots of songs on shuffle. Some drift by, a few might annoy me as I concentrate on work, and a few have me silently rocking out. Guaranteed is different. If it comes on, I get that feeling from the album instantly. It's like I'm out on a hike in the forest. Summer again.

On bended knee is no way to be free
Lifting up an empty cup, I ask silently
That all my destinations will accept the one that's me
So I can breathe

I haven't even thought about verses or choruses. The soul from Ed, the simple music that hits all the right notes. Beautiful.

PostPosted: Mon March 16, 2020 1:19 am 
AnalLog

Anders wrote:
The Into The Wild soundtrack has a special feel and soul to it. Freedom and nature. Regardless of the movie. Whether it's solely Ed's responsibility, or those that helped make the soundtrack, I don't know. But his other solo album does not have any of it.

Let's say I'm at work and I have lots of songs on shuffle. Some drift by, a few might annoy me as I concentrate on work, and a few have me silently rocking out. Guaranteed is different. If it comes on, I get that feeling from the album instantly. It's like I'm out on a hike in the forest. Summer again.

So I can breathe

I haven't even thought about verses or choruses. The soul from Ed, the simple music that hits all the right notes. Beautiful.

In all seriousness, great post. I feel exactly the same way about the whole album

PostPosted: Sat August 26, 2023 10:20 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Don’t know if it’s been posted here, another beautiful version of Hard Sun. The violin player hinting at Sweet Child O’ Mine.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u6qQiOzRK ... hhcmQgc3Vu

PostPosted: Sat August 26, 2023 6:52 pm 
AnalLog

Revelator wrote:
Anders wrote:

So I can breathe

In all seriousness, great post. I feel exactly the same way about the whole album

I'll third this sentiment.

PostPosted: Sun August 27, 2023 3:43 am 
what on earth am I talking about

guitar_davey wrote:
Revelator wrote:
Anders wrote:

So I can breathe

I'll third this sentiment.

Fourthed.

Watchin ed play n Clearwater n my ma beside me n he started playing this n I told her this is my song n I jumped up n she stood up beside me n held my hand. Thank you pal for reminding me:)

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam