The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: The Essential Pearl Jam
PostPosted: Mon September 16, 2013 9:46 am 
Offline
Broken Tamborine
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 9:02 am
Posts: 438
Location: Netherlands
Amazon listed this release:

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Pearl-Jam/dp/B00F3AC6BS/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1379257820&sr=1-3&keywords=pearl+jam

Probably a non essential release.....RVM greatest hits part deux...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Essential Pearl Jam
PostPosted: Mon September 16, 2013 9:51 am 
Offline
User avatar
The worst
 Profile

Joined: Thu December 13, 2012 6:31 pm
Posts: 31729
Yup, adding 5 songs to RVM (granted some of these were fairly big hits) is not necessary. Shit, at least wait for Lbolt to produce some songs.

I wonder what new material, if any, will be on here

_________________
So many tournaments, so little time


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Essential Pearl Jam
PostPosted: Mon September 16, 2013 10:00 am 
Offline
User avatar
The worst
 Profile

Joined: Thu December 13, 2012 6:31 pm
Posts: 31729
Wait, is this Sony or pearl jam?

_________________
So many tournaments, so little time


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Essential Pearl Jam
PostPosted: Mon September 16, 2013 11:01 am 
Offline
Broken Tamborine
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 9:02 am
Posts: 438
Location: Netherlands
It's a Sony/Legacy release...many artists are listed on those series. For instance the one for Aic, Leonard Cohen and Bruce are they best compilation for each of those acts.

But this will probably just be the RVM greatest hits + life wasted, WWS, Fixer, Just Breathe and Amongst the Waves...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Essential Pearl Jam
PostPosted: Mon September 16, 2013 11:15 am 
Offline
User avatar
The worst
 Profile

Joined: Thu December 13, 2012 6:31 pm
Posts: 31729
would they have the rights for those? I guess there isn't any reason for pearl jam not to release them for this

_________________
So many tournaments, so little time


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Essential Pearl Jam
PostPosted: Mon September 16, 2013 12:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Broken Tamborine
 Profile

Joined: Mon July 08, 2013 6:21 pm
Posts: 257
Location: London, UK
You can bet this is non consensual.

_________________
Astoria 06, Reading 06, Wembley 07, O2 London 09, Milton Keynes 2014


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Essential Pearl Jam
PostPosted: Mon September 16, 2013 1:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Unqualified to be an Admin
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed December 19, 2012 9:53 pm
Posts: 9521
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, USA
joostone wrote:
It's a Sony/Legacy release...many artists are listed on those series. For instance the one for Aic, Leonard Cohen and Bruce are they best compilation for each of those acts.

But this will probably just be the RVM greatest hits + life wasted, WWS, Fixer, Just Breathe and Amongst the Waves...


Sony owned J Records, right? So Sony might be able to put Avocado stuff on there, but could they use Backspacer songs w/o the band's permission?

I suppose if I were in a band and the label was going to put this out, I'd probably argue with them, but I bet it's inevitable, so they might as well allow the inclusion of their last album.

_________________
"In a roundabout way, Boba Fett created Pearl Jam." - Chuck Klosterman


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Essential Pearl Jam
PostPosted: Mon September 16, 2013 2:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu March 21, 2013 1:08 am
Posts: 1663
Location: Pennsyltucky
Whatever they put on this, I'm sure I'll laugh my ass off at whatever some record company stooge considers to be "essential" Pearl Jam. I generally despise these kinds of releases but then I realize that the next generation of PJ fans may discover them through something like this, so I guess they serve a purpose, but I'd probably be happier not even knowing that this thing exists because I'm sure the final tracklist will really piss me off somehow.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Essential Pearl Jam
PostPosted: Mon September 16, 2013 2:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:41 pm
Posts: 18711
bluestate wrote:
Whatever they put on this, I'm sure I'll laugh my ass off at whatever some record company stooge considers to be "essential" Pearl Jam. I generally despise these kinds of releases but then I realize that the next generation of PJ fans may discover them through something like this, so I guess they serve a purpose, but I'd probably be happier not even knowing that this thing exists because I'm sure the final tracklist will really piss me off somehow.


Pretty much, yep. The middle period will be all but ignored, again.

_________________
RisingTides wrote:
There is more kindness on the internet than we would care to admit to ourselves. Sometimes we are so afraid of falling victim to a ruse, we miss out on actual opportunities.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Essential Pearl Jam
PostPosted: Mon September 16, 2013 2:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu January 31, 2013 7:03 am
Posts: 5269
Location: by the ocean
B wrote:
...could they use Backspacer songs w/o the band's permission?

nope.

_________________
Dev wrote:
those who are fulfilled by life are either simpletons or lack conscientiousness.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Essential Pearl Jam
PostPosted: Mon September 16, 2013 2:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 03, 2013 8:10 pm
Posts: 1859
Sony does this for pretty much all of their artists. They include a couple of unreleased tracks every now and then in those.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Essential Pearl Jam
PostPosted: Mon September 16, 2013 2:43 pm 
Offline
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 7:55 pm
Posts: 745
I'll buy this in large part because it will have Pearl Jam's name on it and because I'll be interested to hear some familiar tunes in new surroundings. I would hang my head in shame at this, but I went ahead and bought Rearviewmirror despite it having nothing new as well. So I'm used to someone taking $15 out of my pocket without saying thank you.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Essential Pearl Jam
PostPosted: Mon September 16, 2013 2:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu January 31, 2013 7:03 am
Posts: 5269
Location: by the ocean
i bought rearviewmirror too. but that was before they made backspacer and started selling all that shoddy merch. i would have bought anything.

_________________
Dev wrote:
those who are fulfilled by life are either simpletons or lack conscientiousness.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Essential Pearl Jam
PostPosted: Mon September 16, 2013 2:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Unqualified to be an Admin
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed December 19, 2012 9:53 pm
Posts: 9521
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, USA
liebzz wrote:
I'll buy this in large part because it will have Pearl Jam's name on it and because I'll be interested to hear some familiar tunes in new surroundings. I would hang my head in shame at this, but I went ahead and bought Rearviewmirror despite it having nothing new as well. So I'm used to someone taking $15 out of my pocket without saying thank you.


I'd buy this if it has something that isn't on a studio album, Lost Dogs, or RVM, but I highly doubt that it will.

_________________
"In a roundabout way, Boba Fett created Pearl Jam." - Chuck Klosterman


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Essential Pearl Jam
PostPosted: Mon September 16, 2013 2:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Wed April 03, 2013 8:10 pm
Posts: 1859
B wrote:
liebzz wrote:
I'll buy this in large part because it will have Pearl Jam's name on it and because I'll be interested to hear some familiar tunes in new surroundings. I would hang my head in shame at this, but I went ahead and bought Rearviewmirror despite it having nothing new as well. So I'm used to someone taking $15 out of my pocket without saying thank you.


I'd buy this if it has something that isn't on a studio album, Lost Dogs, or RVM, but I highly doubt that it will.

I'd expect a cut or two from the Dissident single or a LO2L outtake.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Essential Pearl Jam
PostPosted: Mon September 16, 2013 2:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu January 31, 2013 7:03 am
Posts: 5269
Location: by the ocean
maybe we should all post what we consider our "essential" pj in a 2-cd tracklist.

_________________
Dev wrote:
those who are fulfilled by life are either simpletons or lack conscientiousness.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Essential Pearl Jam
PostPosted: Mon September 16, 2013 2:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Thu January 31, 2013 7:03 am
Posts: 5269
Location: by the ocean
for funzies.

_________________
Dev wrote:
those who are fulfilled by life are either simpletons or lack conscientiousness.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Essential Pearl Jam
PostPosted: Mon September 16, 2013 3:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Unqualified to be an Admin
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed December 19, 2012 9:53 pm
Posts: 9521
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, USA
WtOB? wrote:
for funzies.


Start w/ the RVM Tracklist for reference?

Once
Alive
Even Flow
Jeremy
State Of Love And Trust
Animal
Go
Dissident
Rearviewmirror
Spin The Black Circle
Corduroy
Not For You
I Got Id
Hail, Hail
Do The Evolution
Save You

Black
Breath
Daughter
Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
Immortality
Better Man
Nothingman
Who You Are
Off He Goes
Given To Fly
Wishlist
Last Kiss
Nothing As it Seems
Light Years
I Am Mine
Man Of The Hour
Yellow Ledbetter

_________________
"In a roundabout way, Boba Fett created Pearl Jam." - Chuck Klosterman


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Essential Pearl Jam
PostPosted: Mon September 16, 2013 3:19 pm 
Offline
Broken Tamborine
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 9:02 am
Posts: 438
Location: Netherlands
the Springsteen set had an additional third disc filled with rarities.....

PJ will probably save those for a Lost Dogs II but who know...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Essential Pearl Jam
PostPosted: Mon September 16, 2013 3:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Unqualified to be an Admin
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed December 19, 2012 9:53 pm
Posts: 9521
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, USA
joostone wrote:
the Springsteen set had an additional third disc filled with rarities.....

PJ will probably save those for a Lost Dogs II but who know...


Yeah, I can imagine Pearl Jam allowing them to use tracks that have been released via Monkeywrench Records, but I highly doubt they'll give them unreleased stuff that Sony doesn't already own.

_________________
"In a roundabout way, Boba Fett created Pearl Jam." - Chuck Klosterman


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Sun September 23, 2018 6:16 pm