The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 707 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 36  Next

Rate Swallowed Whole
5 Stars 19%  19%  [ 29 ]
4 Stars 38%  38%  [ 58 ]
3 Stars 28%  28%  [ 43 ]
2 Stars 11%  11%  [ 17 ]
1 Star 4%  4%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 153
 Post subject: Re: Swallowed Whole
PostPosted: Sat September 14, 2013 6:58 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

I didn't like S/T much at all apart from a few songs, and Brendan O'Brien was nothing to do with it. Pearl Jam had problems before him, and they'll have problems after him. For me, these songs have me hoping for a much better album than the last two, and so far, I have little reason to hate BO'B's input. It does seem like the Backspacer songs might've been weaker than I thought, because it obviously wasn't just production I had an issue with.

PostPosted: Sat September 14, 2013 7:13 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I don't think the recent music's only problem is BoB, but I think he's a significant piece of the problematic puzzle. As I mentioned elsewhere, I don't think the approach the band is taking is working too well at this stage in their career. I think they need to invest more time (which they may be unwilling to do in their lives) and energy into creating the best album they are possible of creating IF they have a goal of creating legendary music.

They honestly may not have that goal anymore and might be quite content doing exactly what they're doing. However, I think they've grown way too comfortable and it's all a bit too routine. I think they need a shakeup and and some additional time finding the spark together and composing songs more as a band rather than individuals. I'm fully aware that that is just the opinion of one fan of the band.

I get the sense that there is more on this album that came about from them being together and working on songs as a band... and letting each other to more of what they specialize in, but overall it still isn't quite there. Anyway, I'm off topic for Swallowed Whole ;)

I can easily see how people get an Into The Wild meets REM vibe from this song.

PostPosted: Sat September 14, 2013 7:16 pm 

Soulfire wrote:
I don't think the recent music's only problem is BoB, but I think he's a significant piece of the problematic puzzle. As I mentioned elsewhere, I don't think the approach the band is taking is working too well at this stage in their career. I think they need to invest more time (which they may be unwilling to do in their lives) and energy into creating the best album they are possible of creating IF they have a goal of creating legendary music.

They honestly may not have that goal anymore and might be quite content doing exactly what they're doing. However, I think they've grown way too comfortable and it's all a bit too routine. I think they need a shakeup and and some additional time finding the spark together and composing songs more as a band rather than individuals. I'm fully aware that that is just the opinion of one fan of the band.

I get the sense that there is more on this album that came about from them being together and working on songs as a band... and letting each other to more of what they specialize in, but overall it still isn't quite there. Anyway, I'm off topic for Swallowed Whole ;)

I can easily see how people get an Into The Wild meets REM vibe from this song.

The good news is it literally isn't all there yet. Hopefully something will tickle your fancy from the next lot.

PostPosted: Sat September 14, 2013 7:18 pm 
AnalLog

Soulfire, I think what you're saying basically boils down to the fact that they need to make a few more rock anthems the level of Alive, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Bullet With Butterfly Wings, Outshined, etc. to become legendary again.

not gonna happen.

would be uber mega cool though.

PostPosted: Sat September 14, 2013 7:33 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Lounge Lizard wrote:
Soulfire, I think what you're saying basically boils down to the fact that they need to make a few more rock anthems the level of Alive, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Bullet With Butterfly Wings, Outshined, etc. to become legendary again.

not gonna happen.

would be uber mega cool though.

My sense is that this band has an understanding and an appreciation for legacy. I think they want to be remembered for giving it their all and at many times in their career they have literally given it 100% I'm not saying they are perfect or ever were, but there have been plenty of times this band has flat out laid it on the line and given their all. I don't get that sense at all about their latest efforts.

I think that if you could sit these guys down, explain it to them in some different contexts and talk about the legacy they want to leave behind that they might very well be interested in setting aside the time and devoting the energy it would take to once again push Pearl Jam to its own limit. I'm honestly not very optimistic of this happening, but it would be awesome and I think they are more than capable of making brilliant albums. To be honest though, I think album-crafting has always been one of the weaker points of this particular band and something they could use some new direction with. I think other bands have much more successful processes for inspiring creativity and cohesiveness in band output when in the record making process.

This band doesn't have to put out big anthems again or anything like that to make something that would fulfill what I think many of us are "jones-ing" for. I hear plenty of stuff on this new album that's reaching at "it" and that sounds like PJ giving it a lot and I hear it on songs like Cold Concession. I know that this new batch of music is making me yearn for PJ that is full of PJ-ness. I am certainly not liking the songs that are PJ with BoB-ness instead. Anyway... lunch time! :)

I found it strange that some on this board are saying that if you like MYM, you pretty much like this latest crop. I'm not finding myself to match that very well.

PostPosted: Sat September 14, 2013 7:35 pm 
The worst

Soulfire wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:

I found it strange that some on this board are saying that if you like MYM, you pretty much like this latest crop. I'm not finding myself to match that very well.

you're one of the few exceptions, it would seem :)

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sat September 14, 2013 7:45 pm 
AnalLog

Soulfly, I think the solution lies in the approach. They should think "five against all" again instead of "radio friendly" and "setlist friendly". Going the setlist friendly way they arrived at Unthought Known, which is a failure in terms of reaching the objective, because their early angst driven stuff is still the star of the show that they have to play every time. Whoever put this idea into their heads that writing light poppy songs was gonna improve their setlist needs to be shot in the knee. Cut the "trying to please everyone" crap and do yourselves (and us) a favor by writing what's in your soul regardless of whether you think it's gonna alienate some people or not. Be Pearl Jam, the musical rebels, the "go against" ones. I feel there's a deep well of astonishing talent in these guys that never sees the light of day because they are somehow afraid to... offend the listener? Silly them. What they think we'll find offensive is exactly why we love them.

Last edited by Lounge Lizard on Sat September 14, 2013 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat September 14, 2013 7:46 pm 
The worst

this one is starting to grow

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sat September 14, 2013 7:58 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

stip wrote:
this one is starting to grow

Yes but what about the song?

PostPosted: Sat September 14, 2013 7:59 pm 
AnalLog

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat September 14, 2013 8:06 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Wallowed Hole?

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sat September 14, 2013 8:07 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

no, obviously Swallowed Pole. if course. missed the forest for the trees there.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sat September 14, 2013 8:13 pm 

stip wrote:
Soulfire wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:

you're one of the few exceptions, it would seem :)

Na, I can see that too. I'm hoping that MYM makes more sense in there when some of the darker, more brooding stuff is with us. I mean, the song is not entirely dark -- it has a second guitar and a harmony which makes it sound brighter and more poppy -- but it sure is meaner than all four leaked tracks.

PostPosted: Sat September 14, 2013 8:13 pm 
AnalLog

BurtReynolds wrote:
no, obviously Swallowed Pole. if course. missed the forest for the trees there.

Logical extention of Dirty Frank?
First Mike McCready, now some unfortunate Pole

PostPosted: Sat September 14, 2013 8:16 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Act of love

PostPosted: Sat September 14, 2013 8:50 pm 
Banned from the Pit

8-)

Last edited by Gob on Sat September 14, 2013 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat September 14, 2013 8:51 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Gob wrote:
Anyone wanna make my weekend and pm any info on these songs where a bouts??

8-)

On the Internet

PostPosted: Sat September 14, 2013 8:54 pm 
Banned from the Pit

:?

Last edited by Gob on Sat September 14, 2013 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat September 14, 2013 9:07 pm 
The worst

please see my signature

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sat September 14, 2013 9:12 pm 
Banned from the Pit

stip wrote:
please see my signature

Sorry... edited.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 707 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 36  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam