The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 707 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 36  Next

Rate Swallowed Whole
5 Stars 19%  19%  [ 29 ]
4 Stars 38%  38%  [ 58 ]
3 Stars 28%  28%  [ 43 ]
2 Stars 11%  11%  [ 17 ]
1 Star 4%  4%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 153
 Post subject: Re: Swallowed Whole
PostPosted: Sat September 14, 2013 10:57 am 
AnalLog

dimejinky99 wrote:
That line about the unread chapter. He's used that image before. In Sometimes 'like a book among the many on the shelf' and there's another great line somewhere in a different song but I can't remember it

It's hard when you're stuck upon the she-he-elf.
I just wanna scream: Hello!

PostPosted: Sat September 14, 2013 10:59 am 
Rank This Poster

I like the parts of this song where they don't try to make it a big thing.

PostPosted: Sat September 14, 2013 11:49 am 
AnalLog

put eddie vedder, peter buck and pete townshend in a blender, and you get this song.

and it tastes pretty yummy.

PostPosted: Sat September 14, 2013 11:53 am 
Mind Your Tanners

dprival78 wrote:
put eddie vedder, peter buck and pete townshend in a blender, and you get this song.

That's pretty good right there.

Yeah, I'm a sucker for anything REM, and once Ed started singing on some REM tunes (Begin the Begin, Man on the Moon) I really, really liked that. And now that PJ is making some REM type songs (You Are is so REM, too) I'm excited.

PostPosted: Sat September 14, 2013 11:58 am 
AnalLog

Coach wrote:
dprival78 wrote:

That's pretty good right there.

Yeah, I'm a sucker for anything REM, and once Ed started singing on some REM tunes (Begin the Begin, Man on the Moon) I really, really liked that. And now that PJ is making some REM type songs (You Are is so REM, too) I'm excited.

first few times through, this one didn't do much for me. but it's definitely growing.

the hippie, tree-hugger lyrics don't do much for me, but the melodies and music do enough to make up for it.

and in the verse parts where he goes to the higher register (starting at 1:16), it sounds like he's singing over the band playing "won't get fooled again".

PostPosted: Sat September 14, 2013 12:00 pm 
AnalLog

The tree hugging lyrics obviously belong to ITW.

PostPosted: Sat September 14, 2013 12:55 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

The lyrics of the bridge in this song are *really* religious / eschatological, even hymnal.

PostPosted: Sat September 14, 2013 12:57 pm 

Lounge Lizard wrote:

People would probably think these ones were cooler if they featured someone having a smoke in a tree.

PostPosted: Sat September 14, 2013 12:57 pm 
AnalLog

harmless wrote:
The lyrics of the bridge in this song are *really* religious / eschatological, even hymnal.

That could have been added especially for fitting on LB

PostPosted: Sat September 14, 2013 12:58 pm 
AnalLog

harmless wrote:
Lounge Lizard wrote:

People would probably think these ones were cooler if they featured someone having a smoke in a tree.

Or smoking a tree :shock:

PostPosted: Sat September 14, 2013 1:00 pm 

Lounge Lizard wrote:
harmless wrote:

That could have been added especially for fitting on LB

Fine with that. It really works. The end of the world stuff, resting in peace etc. And then LTRP is the party at the end of the world.

PostPosted: Sat September 14, 2013 1:47 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

This one could have been on Riot act too. Anyone else feeling that?

Could just be all the seemingly layered acoustic guitars

PostPosted: Sat September 14, 2013 1:50 pm 

dimejinky99 wrote:
This one could have been on Riot act too. Anyone else feeling that?

Could just be all the seemingly layered acoustic guitars

Yep. Also, I feel as if LB has more in common with Love Boat Captain than Unthought known, and Getaway could've also been on Riot Act if it were just a little less melodic.

PostPosted: Sat September 14, 2013 2:31 pm 

If this song doesn't make it into a Pixar movie, I'm going to top myself.

PostPosted: Sat September 14, 2013 2:32 pm 
AnalLog

harmless wrote:
Funny that you mention it, but my kid's been confusing Peter Gabrielle's "Down To The Ground" at the end of WALL-E with some PJ song... forget at the moment which one though

PostPosted: Sat September 14, 2013 2:46 pm 

Lounge Lizard wrote:
harmless wrote:
Funny that you mention it, but my kid's been confusing Peter Gabrielle's "Down To The Ground" at the end of WALL-E with some PJ song... forget at the moment which one though

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat September 14, 2013 6:52 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Who was listening to this song and thought, "You know... what it needs is some xylaphone or something"?

Again, parts of this song that I like, but it isn't great. I'm so looking forward to the day that they part ways with Brendan O'Brien. He's long overstayed his welcome as far as I'm concerned and has become to Pearl Jam, what Bob Rock became to Metallica.... a problem.

The boys need to put in the time to fill their own music with THEIR music and flourishes rather than relying upon a producer to become a musician to fill all these gaps he perceives in their sound that he is all too happy to insert himself into.

I don't think their current approach to making music and albums is working out too well for them and the end result is lackluster output plagued by embellishments from a soft rock guru producer.

PostPosted: Sat September 14, 2013 6:53 pm 
Rank This Poster

Soulfire wrote:
Who was listening to this song and thought, "You know... what it needs is some xylaphone or something"?

Again, parts of this song that I like, but it isn't great. I'm so looking forward to the day that they part ways with Brendan O'Brien. He's long overstayed his welcome as far as I'm concerned and has become to Pearl Jam, what Bob Rock became to Metallica.... a problem.

The boys need to put in the time to fill their own music with THEIR music and flourishes rather than relying upon a producer to become a musician to fill all these gaps he perceives in their sound that he is all too happy to insert himself into.

I don't think their current approach to making music and albums is working out too well for them and the end result is lackluster output plagued by embellishments from a soft rock guru producer.

This song alone makes the past 3 albums worth it.

PostPosted: Sat September 14, 2013 6:55 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Soulfire wrote:

If only it were so simple as getting a new producer. I'm pretty sure this is just the kind of music they want to make now, for better or worse (answer: worse).

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sat September 14, 2013 6:58 pm 
The worst

Is anyone but me reminded a bit of uberlin here

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 707 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 36  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam