The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3327 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163 ... 167  Next

So...Sirens?
5 stars 38%  38%  [ 47 ]
4 stars 24%  24%  [ 30 ]
3 stars 20%  20%  [ 25 ]
2 stars 6%  6%  [ 7 ]
1 star 13%  13%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 125
 Post subject: Re: Sirens
PostPosted: Sun December 22, 2013 10:47 am 
AnalLog

Some of Eds best lyrcis in a long time.

" Before you were here
I danced with laughter with the ever after"

WOW!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun December 22, 2013 11:10 am 
The worst

yellow moon has my favorite lyrics on the album (probably my favorite lyrics since any song post Binaural--excepting maybe FoN--but I think this is better). Infallible is very strong from top to bottom, and there are a bunch of really excellent lyrical moments in MYM. "this world's a long love letter that makes me want to cry" is excellent

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun December 22, 2013 1:44 pm 
tl;dr

BladeRunner wrote:
Wouldn't surprise me if Pearl Jam went four or even five deep with singles off this record. Remember that not all singles have videos or even get released 'in physical' format, they may just be Radio Promos only like the Versus/ Vitalogy era. Listening to Lightning Bolt there seems to be at least six or seven single-worthy songs on it so it would be a waste to not release a few. The title track, SBM, Swallowed Whole and Getaway all seem fitting IMO.

Are you predicting that "Lightning Bolt" becomes this generation's "Jagged Little Pill"?

PostPosted: Sun December 22, 2013 7:08 pm 
Rank This Poster

Got Some wrote:
Some of Eds best lyrcis in a long time.

" Before you were here
I danced with laughter with the ever after"

WOW!!!!!

:haha: thats great

PostPosted: Sun December 22, 2013 7:09 pm 
Rank This Poster

stip wrote:
yellow moon has my favorite lyrics on the album (probably my favorite lyrics since any song post Binaural--excepting maybe FoN--but I think this is better). Infallible is very strong from top to bottom, and there are a bunch of really excellent lyrical moments in MYM. "this world's a long love letter that makes me want to cry" is excellent

i still dont like the second verse, but ive come to look at it as someone looking at the earth from the sky

'im in the fire but im still cold' is my favorite lyrics on the album. i dunno if its the words or delivery, but i love it.

PostPosted: Mon December 23, 2013 8:03 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Kevin Davis wrote:
BladeRunner wrote:
Wouldn't surprise me if Pearl Jam went four or even five deep with singles off this record. Remember that not all singles have videos or even get released 'in physical' format, they may just be Radio Promos only like the Versus/ Vitalogy era. Listening to Lightning Bolt there seems to be at least six or seven single-worthy songs on it so it would be a waste to not release a few. The title track, SBM, Swallowed Whole and Getaway all seem fitting IMO.

Are you predicting that "Lightning Bolt" becomes this generation's "Jagged Little Pill"?

Yeah, why not? It only needs seven more singles and fifteen million albums sold and it's there! Lol!

PostPosted: Mon December 23, 2013 10:33 am 
AnalLog

stip wrote:
yellow moon has my favorite lyrics on the album (probably my favorite lyrics since any song post Binaural--excepting maybe FoN--but I think this is better).

Yellow moon lyrics are pedestrian in comparison with the others you mention IMHO!!!

PostPosted: Mon December 23, 2013 11:33 am 
The worst

It's a strong central image, the verse lyrics set the mood, and the bridge (which is where most of the writing happens) is excellent

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon December 23, 2013 4:54 pm 
Rank This Poster

It's still got some issues, but this album was a big step up from the previous one in terms of lyrics.

PostPosted: Mon December 23, 2013 5:21 pm 
Banned from the Pit

I heard Sirens again multiple times this weekend. I think Sirens is the most radio played single I have heard since Last Kiss. Now this is anecdotal, not looking at numbers like some of you have.

PostPosted: Mon December 23, 2013 5:35 pm 
A Return To Form

stip wrote:

I think FoN is Ed's best lyrically - especially storytelling - since Binaural. LB has some strong lyrics, probably (among several reasons) why Yellow Moon is clearly my favorite song on the record.
The imagery throughout Yellow Moon is fantastic. I picture thousands of frantic stars rushing through the pitch black.

PostPosted: Tue December 24, 2013 12:01 am 
Broken Tamborine

This track remains an abomination, but I have found a perfect example of my previous point of it sounding like a Gallagher riff:

0:29-0:45 of:

=

PostPosted: Tue December 24, 2013 1:21 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

OmegaprimeVKM wrote:
This track remains an abomination, but I have found a perfect example of my previous point of it sounding like a Gallagher riff:

0:29-0:45 of:

=

Gallagher doesn't have any riffs of his own.

PostPosted: Tue December 24, 2013 1:28 pm 
Future Drummer

corduroy2121 wrote:
I heard Sirens again multiple times this weekend. I think Sirens is the most radio played single I have heard since Last Kiss. Now this is anecdotal, not looking at numbers like some of you have.

I hear it very frequently on XM (altnation, lithium, pulse, 20 on 20, etc.) but I think that may be the result of some promotional scheme with PJ Radio rather than listener demand. The song does have pretty good recognition outside of the core fan-base though, so someone is playing it.

PostPosted: Tue January 07, 2014 11:32 pm 
Banned from the Pit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 29ZhY9DRKo

Someone also heard the sirens and got inspired...

Register and join me on Pearl Jam Wiki!

PostPosted: Tue January 07, 2014 11:59 pm 
AnalLog

Yellow Ledbetter wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=229ZhY9DRKo

Someone also heard the sirens and got inspired...

take it to the Cover Songs that make you say "Holy Shit!" thread.

PostPosted: Wed January 08, 2014 3:38 am 
AnalLog

Any other radio stations outside triple M in Australia cutting the crap out of this song ???

Song starts with ed immediately singing "hear the sirens"
. Mikes solo is just the ending and the song finishes without the band singing along (my fav part)

PostPosted: Wed January 08, 2014 4:28 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

i think they haven't released another single yet because they are in Defcon 5 dealing with the PJ Forum crisis. you know its bad when demetriospearrljam is posting a manifesto:

http://community.pearljam.com/discussio ... -customers

and when the admin is getting dragged down into the weeds:

http://community.pearljam.com/discussio ... n-here/p34

"for once" ;) RM is the sole bastion on the internet for actual PJ discussion! (much kiddings)

and on that note, i will say this about Sirens:

before this came out, based on Mike McC's description, I thought this was going to be like a trippy Pink Floyd "Any Colour You Like" ... then when it got leaked and everyone was dissing on it, I was like "aw that sucks, that really sucks", BUT, before I listened to it, I read stip's review, which was excellent. it framed the song well (perhaps pre-brainwashed even, but it worked) and so I was 'ready for it', felt like i saw it for what it was, and not based on some expectation of what I wanted it to be. I thought the lyrics were great, I thought it was powerful, I liked the PJ team effort, the collaboration on the interchanging musical parts, and the singing together, and so on.

then the song got overplayed some what, but then the ricky ramone fiasco happened. now I can't ever think of this song without thinking of Ed yanking his guitar away like some glutton king taunting his dogs with meat scraps onstage in LA.

and ever since that day i hate sirens... Totally blew away the respect for the meaning of those lyrics when you're having a nanny nanny poo poo green room hollywood meltdown while singing them.

and also ever since that day, I am afraid of clowns.

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Wed January 08, 2014 12:32 pm 
Future Drummer

96583UP wrote:

then the song got overplayed some what, but then the ricky ramone fiasco happened. now I can't ever think of this song without thinking of Ed yanking his guitar away like some glutton king taunting his dogs with meat scraps onstage in LA.

and ever since that day i hate sirens... Totally blew away the respect for the meaning of those lyrics when you're having a nanny nanny poo poo green room hollywood meltdown while singing them.

and also ever since that day, I am afraid of clowns.

I think it's actually improved the song for me. Instead of just being a cheeseball intro, we now know 'hear the sirens' is just warning whoever eds guitar tech is that if they fuck up, eds gonna bust out his axe.

PostPosted: Wed January 08, 2014 3:43 pm 
Future Drummer

If evenflow is the piss break song, if they continue with evenflow and sirens back to back, it will become a shit break.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3327 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 157, 158, 159, 160, 161, 162, 163 ... 167  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam