22%
2 Stars
6%
1 Star
4%

Total votes : 108

Re: Song of the Moment: My Father's Son

Wed January 11, 2017 10:54 pm

is this the even flow where matt cameron does a drum solo, or the even flow where he does not?

Thu January 12, 2017 2:02 am

None, it's My Father's Son.

Tue February 13, 2018 4:51 pm

This is a good song. The lyrics hold it back a bit. 3.83/5.0.

Wed February 14, 2018 4:33 am

guestT wrote:This is a good song. The lyrics hold it back a bit. 3.83/5.0.

Some of the best lyrics on LB.

Wed February 14, 2018 1:58 pm

Some of the dumbest lyrics on a Pearl Jam song, which is really saying something.

Wed February 14, 2018 2:15 pm

Both of the posts above are accurate.

Wed February 14, 2018 3:03 pm

This song is pretty bad, team

Wed February 14, 2018 3:37 pm

I think I will listen to Lightning Bolt on way home today.

It's been a while and My Father's Son

Wed February 14, 2018 4:23 pm

Musically it's great. If they're gonna pretend to be punk 2 or 3 times every album then this is at least an interesting way to approach it. Angular, spacey, off-kilter, with a cool bridge that comes out of nowhere. Mike on a bass. Stone doing atmospheric shit. Not just sub-Green Day power chord BANG BANG BANGing.

The lyrics are clunky and definitely don't reward close examination. But the theme is interesting to me. The details are easy enough to tune out.

If they can summon this level of ambition for the next album it might end up being something worth getting excited about.

Wed February 14, 2018 4:29 pm

guestT wrote:Musically it's great. If they're gonna pretend to be punk 2 or 3 times every album then this is at least an interesting way to approach it. Angular, spacey, off-kilter, with a cool bridge that comes out of nowhere. Mike on a bass. Stone doing atmospheric shit. Not just sub-Green Day power chord BANG BANG BANGing.

The lyrics are clunky and definitely don't reward close examination. But the theme is interesting to me. The details are easy enough to tune out.

If they can summon this level of ambition for the next album it might end up being something worth getting excited about.

I agree with this pretty much word for word

Thu February 15, 2018 2:21 am

theplatypus wrote:
guestT wrote:Musically it's great. If they're gonna pretend to be punk 2 or 3 times every album then this is at least an interesting way to approach it. Angular, spacey, off-kilter, with a cool bridge that comes out of nowhere. Mike on a bass. Stone doing atmospheric shit. Not just sub-Green Day power chord BANG BANG BANGing.

Ditto. MFS and Swallowed Whole are still my faves from LB. If Ed is going to continue to write mid-tempo anthemic rock songs, I want it to sound 'Into The Wild-ish' like Swallowed Whole does.

Thu February 15, 2018 2:46 am

I'd be all about having an instrumental version of this. As is, it's a skip for me 99% of the time.

Thu February 15, 2018 4:07 am

theplatypus wrote:

yeah this is good.

Thu February 15, 2018 4:12 am

This and Pendulum were the only two songs that really made me perk up and consider what was going on musically. Not masterpieces but if we could get an album full of that I'd be more than satisfied.

Thu January 16, 2020 8:56 pm

This song really suits older Eddie's voice - one of the best on the album he sounds great

Thu January 16, 2020 8:58 pm

mikejasond wrote:This song really suits older Eddie's voice - one of the best on the album he sounds great

:thumbsup: welcome back mjd

Thu January 16, 2020 9:00 pm

mikejasond wrote:This song really suits older Eddie's voice - one of the best on the album he sounds great

yeah, he is awesome here.

Thu January 16, 2020 9:01 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:

:thumbsup: welcome back mjd

New tour = time to listen to Pearl Jam again

Thu January 16, 2020 9:12 pm

Revisiting this period for the purpose of ranking those songs the other reinforced how much I enjoy this one, it's great.

Fri January 17, 2020 2:14 am

I come from a genie, yes

Post a reply