22%
2 Stars
6%
1 Star
4%

Total votes : 108

Re: Song of the Moment: My Father's Son

Mon February 10, 2014 8:10 pm

theplatypus wrote:Any good live versions of this?

check out the live forum. i think the 'buffalo' version got good reviews, but i dont think they've released all the 2013 shows yet.

Mon February 10, 2014 8:10 pm

I never get to hear this song. Ellie hates it. It's the only song on Lightning Bolt she doesn't like

Mon February 10, 2014 8:12 pm

It's probably the bridge that bugs her.

Mon February 10, 2014 8:14 pm

Still my favorite song on the album.

Mon February 10, 2014 8:14 pm

we never get more than 10 seconds in.

Mon February 10, 2014 8:15 pm

She knows what's coming. You can't unhear it.

Mon February 10, 2014 8:22 pm

that's the best part of the song!

Mon February 10, 2014 8:23 pm

You only listen to this album when your daughter's around? I'm not sure what to make of that.

Mon February 10, 2014 8:24 pm

I'd hate it too when realizing that my father is a psychopath.

Mon February 10, 2014 9:05 pm

EJ wrote:You only listen to this album when your daughter's around? I'm not sure what to make of that.

She was subjected to it for about a week when it came out, and so now she likes it and asks to listen to hearl jam all the time (which thus far ONLY means lightning bolt). 4 or so listens a week in the car keeps me pretty satisfied. The LAL thread later this week will be the first time I've heard it elsewhere in forever.

No, that's not true. She makes me put it on in my office when she wants to dance.

Mon February 10, 2014 9:07 pm

stip wrote:
EJ wrote:You only listen to this album when your daughter's around? I'm not sure what to make of that.

She was subjected to it for about a week when it came out, and so now she likes it and asks to listen to hearl jam all the time (which thus far ONLY means lightning bolt). 4 or so listens a week in the car keeps me pretty satisfied. The LAL thread later this week will be the first time I've heard it elsewhere in forever.

No, that's not true. She makes me put it on in my office when she wants to dance.

got it, that's great :thumbsup:

Mon February 10, 2014 9:09 pm

theplatypus wrote:Any good live versions of this?

No, every attempt so far has been a mess.

Mon February 10, 2014 9:21 pm

They started and stopped it at Buffalo, but the restart was pretty good, I thought. The only negative was that Boom was inexplicably loud in the mix starting with the bridge. It didn't necessarily sound bad, just different and out of place. But, I thought the overall performance was pretty good.

The Worcester version was a disaster. Just horrible. Out of tune, out of step, bad timing, just horrible.

The only other time they played it was LA2, and I think that one was pretty bad from memory of the audience recording. But it hasn't been released yet in official bootleg glory.

Mon February 10, 2014 9:26 pm

I don't get why this one isn't being played. Even though I think stuff like Sleight of Hand and All or None, and other songs of that ilk represents some of their best work, I can at least see the reasoning behind not give those kind of songs frequent airings, even if I don't agree. But this song is up-tempo, it's not buried in the back half of an album, and it's on their newest release. What gives?

Mon February 10, 2014 9:31 pm

The Adelaide version sounded okay at the show, I'm hopeful they play a respectable version at least once.

Playing it in a lower key really hurts it, I think. The song should have the same driving energy as the studio recording but instead it sounds leaden and tired.

Mon February 10, 2014 10:22 pm

What I don't get is why they insist on playing it so much faster live. I know, that's a PJ 'thing'. But they really do turn a rock song into a stupidly fast punk song, and it doesn't work. It wouldn't be difficult to play it at the right tempo.

Mon February 10, 2014 10:25 pm

I attempted to listen to that Buffalo "HD" vid on youtube today. Made it to about the 1 minute mark before turning it off in disgust.

Mon February 10, 2014 10:35 pm

What's so bad about it?

It's not great. But it's not disgusting. That's a little strong.

Try listening to the Worcester take. That's disgusting.

Mon February 10, 2014 10:38 pm

I'm interested in hearing a good one.

Mon February 10, 2014 11:08 pm

My Father's Son is one of the best tracks on LB. That song has such a great motion to it, Ed's vocals are unique, just fucking great.

"From the volunteer amputee?" Great rasp and delivery on that. I love it like I love Brain of J. Classic Pearl Jam.
Post a reply