The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 58  Next

So...Getaway
5 Stars 37%  37%  [ 73 ]
4 Stars 43%  43%  [ 85 ]
3 Stars 13%  13%  [ 25 ]
2 Star 5%  5%  [ 10 ]
1 Star 3%  3%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 199
 Post subject: Re: Getaway
PostPosted: Fri December 06, 2013 4:33 pm 
tl;dr

I love "Johnny Guitar." I kind of hate "Getaway."

PostPosted: Fri December 06, 2013 4:34 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Kevin Davis wrote:
I love "Johnny Guitar." I kind of hate "Getaway."

You and me, we're like THIS.

PostPosted: Fri December 06, 2013 5:31 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

guitar_davey wrote:
harmless wrote:
It's all better in my new headphones.

I don't like that the album is better or worse depending on which headphones you're listening with, but maybe that's not unprecedented.

Out of curiousity, since I'm in the market, what kind of headphones did you pick up Harmless?

They're just little cheap earbuds from HMV. They're just better little cheap earbuds than I normally use. They tend to increase the bits I like about the production, and make quieter everything I don't like. Which works for me.

PostPosted: Fri December 06, 2013 5:34 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Getaway has become one of the songs on the new album that sounds like a Backspacer song to me. Johnny Guitar is about the only song on Backspacer that doesn't sound like a song belonging on that album.

LTRP, Getaway, Lightning Bolt, MYM, and Swallowed Whole all sound like they could be on Backspacer. I imagine it is due to production.

Infallible, Yellow Moon, Pendulum all sound like maybe they were trying to head in a different direction with the album until BoB got his hands on it.

PostPosted: Fri December 06, 2013 5:36 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

fuckin BoB :shake:

PostPosted: Fri December 06, 2013 5:44 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Still loving this tune.

PostPosted: Fri December 06, 2013 5:51 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

dimejinky99 wrote:
Still loving this tune.

PostPosted: Fri December 06, 2013 5:56 pm 

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Getaway has become one of the songs on the new album that sounds like a Backspacer song to me. Johnny Guitar is about the only song on Backspacer that doesn't sound like a song belonging on that album.

LTRP, Getaway, Lightning Bolt, MYM, and Swallowed Whole all sound like they could be on Backspacer. I imagine it is due to production.

Infallible, Yellow Moon, Pendulum all sound like maybe they were trying to head in a different direction with the album until BoB got his hands on it.

Not sure I would all of the same songs in those categories, but I generally agree and I hope that next time they're a bit more defiant in going in their own direction, even if they ask him to produce it.

PostPosted: Fri December 06, 2013 7:37 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

harmless wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

Not sure I would all of the same songs in those categories, but I generally agree and I hope that next time they're a bit more defiant in going in their own direction, even if they ask him to produce it.

EV: "Hey Brendan, 'getaway' from us."

:o

PostPosted: Fri December 06, 2013 7:42 pm 
AnalLog

E.H. Ruddock wrote:

I think that's just more about who actually wrote the songs. Those are all Jeff songs aren't they? I can't remember if he wrote anything on Backspacer besides co-writing Got Some (I think). Maybe Backspacer would have benefitted from more Jeff. In fact, is that the album that he has the least amount of songs on.

PostPosted: Fri December 06, 2013 8:18 pm 

HardTI wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:

I think that's just more about who actually wrote the songs. Those are all Jeff songs aren't they? I can't remember if he wrote anything on Backspacer besides co-writing Got Some (I think). Maybe Backspacer would have benefitted from more Jeff. In fact, is that the album that he has the least amount of songs on.

Yes and no. There are some instrumentation and production choices that change otherwise good songs into just decent ones, and sometimes awful ones. I wonder what LTRP might have sounded like if they'd all done what they wanted with it. I think most of these songs could've sounded like songs from any album except for their production. Can you imagine what LTRP might've sounded like on Vitalogy? I can and it's pretty different.

PostPosted: Fri December 06, 2013 8:18 pm 

Actually no, I don't think LTRP is awful. It's just a bit funny now. It's a tolerable failure, as is FD.

PostPosted: Thu January 09, 2014 10:21 am 
AnalLog

EJ wrote:
dimejinky99 wrote:
Still loving this tune.

PostPosted: Thu January 09, 2014 11:10 am 
Banned from the Pit

Release_Me wrote:
This one has cemented it's position as my favourite out and out hard rocking PJ song since Vitalogy. Never seem to get tired of it despite a ridiculous number of listens.

i second that

PostPosted: Thu January 09, 2014 2:22 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

The song is a lot better if you cut the first 10 seconds. It was ok the first few listens when the record was fresh, but now it's just a drag to get through.

PostPosted: Thu January 09, 2014 3:00 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

A classic PJ track. I could never count how many times I've played this one, too much. It's got the grooviness and lock-in of bass and drums of new PJ and a classic sounding chorus and EdVed completely owning it. Can't believe this isn't a live staple.

PostPosted: Thu January 09, 2014 3:01 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Tuolumne wrote:
A classic PJ track. I could never count how many times I've played this one, too much. It's got the grooviness and lock-in of bass and drums of new PJ and a classic sounding chorus and EdVed completely owning it. Can't believe this isn't a live staple.

Me too.

PostPosted: Thu January 09, 2014 3:28 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

My favorite PJ rocker in a long time. Probably better than Save You and Severed Hand, which are my two favorite post 2000 rockers. Sounds like classic PJ to me, in a good way. I dont mind the intro at all and love the outro, especially EVs vocals there. 4/4.5 stars for me.

PostPosted: Thu January 09, 2014 3:31 pm 
The worst

the outro is the best non bassline part of this song. Very RVM

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu January 09, 2014 3:40 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

stip wrote:
the outro is the best non bassline part of this song. Very RVM

i love the guitars in the outro...they have a sense or urgency i havent listened since..mm maybe Insignificance.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53 ... 58  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam