The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 58  Next

So...Getaway
5 Stars 37%  37%  [ 73 ]
4 Stars 43%  43%  [ 85 ]
3 Stars 13%  13%  [ 25 ]
2 Star 5%  5%  [ 10 ]
1 Star 3%  3%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 199
 Post subject: Re: Getaway
PostPosted: Tue November 05, 2013 9:14 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Leatherhead wrote:
The lyrics in this song "I've got my own way to believe" and "Mine is mine and yours won't take its place," remind me, every time, of the lyrics "Minding yours, what's mine not yours, will finish us off," in God's Dice. The two songs seem to be coming from opposite sides of a certain view, and I much prefer the stance taken in the lyrics of God's Dice.

I think the lyrics are closer to I Am Mine.

PostPosted: Tue November 05, 2013 11:43 pm 
Rank This Poster

i don't know. In I am Mine I get a "I can think for myself, I don't have to believe what you believe" kind of sentiment. However in Getaway I get a "I don't have to believe anything I don't want to believe" kind of sentiment. Which are quite different from one another.

PostPosted: Tue November 05, 2013 11:49 pm 

Hmmm, seems like quite an arbitrary distinction to me. Getaway mentions a "you" (I don't think I Am Mine does, does it?). "Mine is mine and yours won't take its place." It seems like choosing my own thing rather than your thing.

PostPosted: Wed November 06, 2013 4:01 am 
Mind Your Tanners

I still can't fully get into this song, some listens are better then others, but its usually still near the bottom for me

PostPosted: Wed November 06, 2013 7:37 am 
AnalLog

This one has cemented it's position as my favourite out and out hard rocking PJ song since Vitalogy. Never seem to get tired of it despite a ridiculous number of listens.

PostPosted: Wed November 06, 2013 10:51 am 
AnalLog

Release_Me wrote:
This one has cemented it's position as my favourite out and out hard rocking PJ song since Vitalogy. Never seem to get tired of it despite a ridiculous number of listens.

X2

PostPosted: Thu November 07, 2013 11:06 am 
AnalLog

I like the live version from the extended EP better than the studio one. The studio version sounds like it had all life sucked out of it in comparison. It also takes the "sing alongy" aspect of it away a little and at least for me the song benefits from it.

PostPosted: Thu November 07, 2013 9:42 pm 
Rank This Poster

The lyrics make me think the author is unwilling to change their views no matter what. Even in the face of logical arguments, overwhelming evidence, reason. They've got their own way to believe, so for god's sake, get away.

PostPosted: Thu November 07, 2013 10:02 pm 
The worst

the author, or the person the author is singing about?

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu November 07, 2013 11:07 pm 
Rank This Poster

stip wrote:
the author, or the person the author is singing about?

Are there multiple people in this song? Whoever is saying "I've got my own way to believe, for god's sake, mine is mine and yours won't take its place, now make your getaway!"

PostPosted: Thu November 07, 2013 11:36 pm 

Leatherhead wrote:
The lyrics make me think the author is unwilling to change their views no matter what. Even in the face of logical arguments, overwhelming evidence, reason. They've got their own way to believe, so for god's sake, get away.

Surely this attitude will be positive or negative, depending on what the speaker is responding to. Regarding the subject of the song I think it's a good response. I don't think he's saying he wouldn't change if he had sufficient reason to; I think he's saying he has no sufficient reason to change now, so people should stop trying to make him change.

PostPosted: Fri November 08, 2013 12:02 am 
Posting (live)

harmless wrote:
Leatherhead wrote:

Surely this attitude will be positive or negative, depending on what the speaker is responding to. Regarding the subject of the song I think it's a good response. I don't think he's saying he wouldn't change if he had sufficient reason to; I think he's saying he has no sufficient reason to change now, so people should stop trying to make him change.

Do you hear it the same way you hear the "Fuck me if I say something etc" from Save You? A hard headed fuck you all sort of voice? I guess so. determined and sure of himself.

PostPosted: Fri November 08, 2013 12:05 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Apparently this song's digital ID tag on the cd reads "Getwaway"

PostPosted: Fri November 08, 2013 12:10 am 
Posting (live)

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Apparently this song's digital ID tag on the cd reads "Getwaway"

That's how the 10c file appeared.

PostPosted: Fri November 08, 2013 12:23 am 

LetMeSleep wrote:
harmless wrote:
Leatherhead wrote:

Do you hear it the same way you hear the "Fuck me if I say something etc" from Save You? A hard headed fuck you all sort of voice? I guess so. determined and sure of himself.

Maybe. I don't know, I just think it's odd that some people are interpreting the message negatively. But maybe I just have a specific response to it.

PostPosted: Tue November 12, 2013 7:42 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

This song is Johnny Guitar

PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2013 6:27 am 
Banned from the Pit

Once you hold the hand of love, it's all surmountable.

Edit: wut happened

PostPosted: Thu November 14, 2013 1:59 am 
Rank This Poster

knee tunes wrote:
This song is Johnny Guitar

I think Johnny Guitar is the superior song. I don't know what it is about this song I don't like, I think it's some of the lyrics. Well, probably some of the music too.

I put together a mix of post-Riot Act PJ, left Getaway out, but included Johnny Guitar.

PostPosted: Thu November 14, 2013 2:13 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Leatherhead wrote:
I think Johnny Guitar is the superior song.

For sure.

But I think they're only a little bit similar.

PostPosted: Thu November 14, 2013 2:34 am 
Banned from the Pit

Leatherhead wrote:

I think Johnny Guitar is the superior song.

+1

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51 ... 58  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam