The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9951 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 419, 420, 421, 422, 423, 424, 425 ... 498  Next

You Know What To Do!
Getaway 13%  13%  [ 42 ]
Mind Your Manners 2%  2%  [ 8 ]
My Father's Son 12%  12%  [ 38 ]
Sirens 7%  7%  [ 23 ]
Lightning Bolt 6%  6%  [ 20 ]
Infallible 12%  12%  [ 38 ]
Pendulum 27%  27%  [ 88 ]
Swallowed Whole 6%  6%  [ 21 ]
Let the Records Play 2%  2%  [ 7 ]
Sleeping By Myself 2%  2%  [ 7 ]
Yellow Moon 10%  10%  [ 32 ]
Future Days 1%  1%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 328
 Post subject: Re: Lightning Bolt: The Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Wed January 08, 2014 8:02 pm 
Rank This Poster

Coach wrote:
Where are the B-sides to this record? Zero? And I don't mean Betterman live.

They're on the album.

PostPosted: Wed January 08, 2014 8:26 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Heathen wrote:
Coach wrote:

They're on the album.

:haha:

in all seriousness, their lack of b-sides over the past 3 albums is atrocious. and "Ole" doesn't count

PostPosted: Wed January 08, 2014 8:33 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

Was it ever revealed what song that guy (Clinch or Tomorrow, forget which one) heard that wasn't on Backspacer? I'm guessing it was Pendulum.

PostPosted: Wed January 08, 2014 8:43 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

It was Tom Tomorrow.

I think the general consensus is that this artwork suggests it was probably Pendulum:

PostPosted: Wed January 08, 2014 9:37 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

bodysnatcher wrote:
Heathen wrote:
Coach wrote:

They're on the album.

in all seriousness, their lack of b-sides over the past 3 albums is atrocious. and "Ole" doesn't count

I think that was a conscious decision on the band's part. I think they felt fans got b-side "fever" and weren't sure that they liked them more just cause they were obscure or if they were good. I think they just wanted the album songs to speak for themselves and they wanted to really hone in and make the songs they released as their statement. I don't have anything to prove this theory, but it's just what I think.

I think sometime in the next few years there will be songs we don't even know exist see the light of day, maybe another Lost Dogs.

PostPosted: Wed January 08, 2014 10:03 pm 

Tuolumne wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
Heathen wrote:
Coach wrote:

They're on the album.

I think that was a conscious decision on the band's part. I think they felt fans got b-side "fever" and weren't sure that they liked them more just cause they were obscure or if they were good. I think they just wanted the album songs to speak for themselves and they wanted to really hone in and make the songs they released as their statement. I don't have anything to prove this theory, but it's just what I think.

I think sometime in the next few years there will be songs we don't even know exist see the light of day, maybe another Lost Dogs.

That's a pretty elaborate theory. I just don't think they're writing as many songs as they used to.

PostPosted: Wed January 08, 2014 10:07 pm 
Rank This Poster

Tuolumne wrote:
I think they felt fans got b-side "fever" and weren't sure that they liked them more just cause they were obscure or if they were good.

that would NEVER happen lol

PostPosted: Wed January 08, 2014 11:06 pm 
The worst

harmless wrote:
Tuolumne wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
Heathen wrote:
Coach wrote:

They're on the album.

That's a pretty elaborate theory. I just don't think they're writing as many songs as they used to.

They've made it pretty clear they aren't writing as many song as they used to

I think the success of lost dogs may have them wanting to hold onto what extra stuff they have for a formal release later.

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed January 08, 2014 11:22 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

stip wrote:
harmless wrote:
Tuolumne wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
Heathen wrote:
Coach wrote:

They're on the album.

They've made it pretty clear they aren't writing as many song as they used to

I think the success of lost dogs may have them wanting to hold onto what extra stuff they have for a formal release later.
money grab.

PostPosted: Thu January 09, 2014 12:00 am 
The worst

Greedy bastards

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu January 09, 2014 10:29 am 
AnalLog

Just checking how the bitching is going around here. How's everybody? :wave:

Anyway, still a good album with a stupid name, and 1 terrible song (Swalloed Whole, judge me)

PostPosted: Thu January 09, 2014 11:58 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

KurtLeon wrote:
Just checking how the bitching is going around here. How's everybody? :wave:

Anyway, still a good album with a stupid name, and 1 terrible song (Swalloed Whole, judge me)

Consider yourself 'Judged'.

PostPosted: Thu January 09, 2014 2:55 pm 

harmless wrote:
Tuolumne wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
Heathen wrote:
Coach wrote:

They're on the album.

I think in the Avacado period they were recording alot of songs. They alluded to them in interviews and we have song titles and now outtakes (coldconfession, let it ride).

With Backspacer and LB I think there is a BoB factor. We all know he is about streamlining and efficiency and working quickly. Most bands he works with, he sits down and sorts through songs and sometimes manhandles them into only focusing on ones that are worth it. I think we have a sizeable number of outtakes from Avocado, since there was no BoB around to tell them to not work on something. And they do allude to a handful of cast offs from the last 2 recoerds as well, though not as many as in Avocado.

I think it's also the process of making a records, with 5 songwriters in the band and all of these side projects, there's no way there's a shortage of songs. They're just more selective now on what they want to focus on, it seems.

PostPosted: Thu January 09, 2014 3:32 pm 
The worst

I wonder, given the pace of recording, how many cast offs end up getting moved onto solo projects.

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Thu January 09, 2014 3:41 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

stip wrote:
I wonder, given the pace of recording, how many cast offs end up getting moved onto solo projects.

Some of them we know...i think The Forest, from jeff first album is one...Bayleaf....

PostPosted: Thu January 09, 2014 3:42 pm 

I'd think alot more. I think Avocado was a long and grueling recording process for them, and they might have thought they had too many songs in the pot. The stated this pretty clearly in interviews, and Ed also taking about how he had many drafts of lyrics for each song. I think BoB was all about "focus on what you think you'll end up releasing and don't waste time."

PostPosted: Thu January 09, 2014 3:55 pm 
Future Drummer

What songs were released as b-sides in the past?

I don't know if BoB is stopping them from recording other tracks, Pendulum was a backspacer outtake BoB didn't care for, they just worked on it without him ( and came up with some of the more interesting music they have in a while imo). Didn't Eddie say something about not whoring out b sides once?

PostPosted: Thu January 09, 2014 4:50 pm 

Tuolumne wrote:
harmless wrote:
Tuolumne wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
Heathen wrote:
Coach wrote:

They're on the album.

I think in the Avacado period they were recording alot of songs. They alluded to them in interviews and we have song titles and now outtakes (coldconfession, let it ride).

With Backspacer and LB I think there is a BoB factor. We all know he is about streamlining and efficiency and working quickly. Most bands he works with, he sits down and sorts through songs and sometimes manhandles them into only focusing on ones that are worth it. I think we have a sizeable number of outtakes from Avocado, since there was no BoB around to tell them to not work on something. And they do allude to a handful of cast offs from the last 2 recoerds as well, though not as many as in Avocado.

I think it's also the process of making a records, with 5 songwriters in the band and all of these side projects, there's no way there's a shortage of songs. They're just more selective now on what they want to focus on, it seems.

I think it's both: BoB's streamlining, 'fast' recording approach mixed with the fact that PJ won't produce anything unless it's time to actively try. They're too busy and the band isn't a top priority, so I'd imagine they just live their lives without Pearl Jam even being a thing, until someone says 'Maybe it's time we recorded something, got any songs? No? We'll write some then.' That's what BoB suggested when he said that it was actually a frustrating effort trying to get them into the studio. For all that I don't like what sounds like his recording practice, I also think that he might be the only reason they're doing anything at the moment (apart from playing live). First it was Matt 'keeping the band together', and now it's probably BoB.

PostPosted: Thu January 09, 2014 4:51 pm 

Also, all of Ed's quotes about songs not feeling like homework suggests that songs DO feel like homework to him now, so he'd rather just dash them off like a quick wank.

PostPosted: Thu January 09, 2014 4:55 pm 
The Master

Eh, you make it sound like they werent going into the studio cause they were just sitting around picking their asses doing nothing. It was difficult to get them into the studio as a band because they all had a shit ton of other things going on since backspacer. Solo tours, soudngarden reunion, injury, brad tours, RNDM and everything ament was doing, mike playing every baseball games national anthem.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9951 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 419, 420, 421, 422, 423, 424, 425 ... 498  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam