The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9951 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 483, 484, 485, 486, 487, 488, 489 ... 498  Next

You Know What To Do!
Getaway 13%  13%  [ 42 ]
Mind Your Manners 2%  2%  [ 8 ]
My Father's Son 12%  12%  [ 38 ]
Sirens 7%  7%  [ 23 ]
Lightning Bolt 6%  6%  [ 20 ]
Infallible 12%  12%  [ 38 ]
Pendulum 27%  27%  [ 88 ]
Swallowed Whole 6%  6%  [ 21 ]
Let the Records Play 2%  2%  [ 7 ]
Sleeping By Myself 2%  2%  [ 7 ]
Yellow Moon 10%  10%  [ 32 ]
Future Days 1%  1%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 328
 Post subject: Re: Lightning Bolt: The Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Sun June 07, 2015 5:45 am 
jeeeesus relax already

Pendulum is so so so good. Live is even better.

PostPosted: Sun June 07, 2015 1:37 pm 
The worst

BladeRunner wrote:
The End just feels like somew words put together to rhyme! Future days is hardly any better but I do quite like Yellow Moon , Swallowed Whole, Pendulum, Sleeping, Getaway me Infallable. The album doesn't feel cohesive from start to finish, it's like the band just put out 12 separate songs that they can muster and released it as an album. Not sure if I'm making complete sense but that's how I feel about it. Overall it is better than their last few albums.

The end does feel that way. It's a nice melody and a better base song than future days, but it's another example of a song that gets by on a powerful performance

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Sun June 07, 2015 5:15 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

BladeRunner wrote:
The album doesn't feel cohesive from start to finish, it's like the band just put out 12 separate songs that they can muster and released it as an album.

This is interesting. And while I like Lighting Bolt a fair bit more than a couple other PJ albums, I wonder if this isn't the first time I think you could make a strong case for that sentiment. I think you're right. And it never occurred to me until I read your post.

PostPosted: Sun June 07, 2015 5:22 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I felt that the first time i listened to it. I think its the first one that feels that way, like its a collection of songs from different sessions.
Maybe thats the strong point of the album.

PostPosted: Sun June 07, 2015 5:51 pm 
Rank This Poster

I think if the songs are strong enough, they carry you through a diverse range of sounds and styles. Something like No Code, for example, feels as all over the place in terms of song styles, but although there is a mood that connects the songs, I think, at least for me, the songs themselves are strong enough that you stick around long enough with repeated listens to hear how everything connects.

I will say that if the songs felt a bit less polished within an inch of their life, if you could, for lack of a better term, hear the room in the recording, it would have gone a long way towards connecting some disparate songs.

PostPosted: Sun June 07, 2015 6:01 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

digster wrote:
I think if the songs are strong enough, they carry you through a diverse range of sounds and styles. Something like No Code, for example, feels as all over the place in terms of song styles, but although there is a mood that connects the songs, I think, at least for me, the songs themselves are strong enough that you stick around long enough with repeated listens to hear how everything connects.

I don't disagree with your overall post. But I actually do think LB is a collection of good songs. So, I will disagree in this particular case. In general though, I think you're absolutely right.

PostPosted: Sun June 07, 2015 7:52 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

I've said it before but the initial sessions yielded a few good songs and was heading in an interesting direction. It's like the band doubted itself and wrote some songs to brief (okay we need an anthem, a couple of straight rockers, a ballad with shite piano) to finish the album. session 2 didn't add much IMO

Spoiler: show
SESSION ONE
Olé
Sleeping By Myself
Pendulum
Sirens
Infallible
Swallowed Whole
Yellow Moon

PostPosted: Sun June 07, 2015 10:11 pm 
Poster of the Year

BladeRunner wrote:
Ducks away...

Why are you hurling ducks?

PostPosted: Sun June 07, 2015 11:21 pm 
Rank This Poster

durdencommatyler wrote:
digster wrote:

I don't disagree with your overall post. But I actually do think LB is a collection of good songs. So, I will disagree in this particular case. In general though, I think you're absolutely right.

Yeah, it's different for everyone. I just think great songs (plus consistent production) can unify a diverse group of songs. I think of some of my favorite records, like the White Album or New adventures In Hi-Fi; they're relatively all over the place, but they've always felt extraordinarily cohesive. Same with something like Binaural; there's punk-influenced songs, folk ditties, experimental stuff, anthems, ballads and a ukulele song and it's always felt of a piece to me.

PostPosted: Mon June 08, 2015 12:59 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

durdencommatyler wrote:
BladeRunner wrote:
The album doesn't feel cohesive from start to finish, it's like the band just put out 12 separate songs that they can muster and released it as an album.

This is interesting. And while I like Lighting Bolt a fair bit more than a couple other PJ albums, I wonder if this isn't the first time I think you could make a strong case for that sentiment. I think you're right. And it never occurred to me until I read your post.

Man, that's how I've felt for the last two albums. It just feels like they literally kinda dial it in. Ed does his part. Mike does his, then Jeff, Stone, Matt, BOB, viola, the new PJ album.

The creative studio sessions that have their peaks and valleys that are recorded with the album (Vs -> Riot Act) seem gone on the last two-ish (I kinda like Avocado). Eh, I don't know, maybe I'm just a picky dickshit.

PostPosted: Mon June 08, 2015 1:39 am 
Rank This Poster

LetMeSleep wrote:
I've said it before but the initial sessions yielded a few good songs and was heading in an interesting direction. It's like the band doubted itself and wrote some songs to brief (okay we need an anthem, a couple of straight rockers, a ballad with shite piano) to finish the album. session 2 didn't add much IMO

SESSION ONE
Olé
Sleeping By Myself
Pendulum
Sirens
Infallible
Swallowed Whole
Yellow Moon

So that leaves;

SESSION TWO
Getaway
Mind Your Manners
My Father's Son
Lightning Bolt
Let the Records Play
Future Days

Ehhh, I think I'd easily take session two over session one. MYM, MFS, and LB are definitely the best 3 songs on the album.

PostPosted: Mon June 08, 2015 1:51 am 

Leatherhead wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:

SESSION ONE
Olé
Sleeping By Myself
Pendulum
Sirens
Infallible
Swallowed Whole
Yellow Moon

So that leaves;

SESSION TWO
Getaway
Mind Your Manners
My Father's Son
Lightning Bolt
Let the Records Play
Future Days

Ehhh, I think I'd easily take session two over session one. MYM, MFS, and LB are definitely the best 3 songs on the album.

Yeah I disagree. Getaway and MFS are the only 2 I'd care to hear ever again.

PostPosted: Mon June 08, 2015 6:30 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

digster wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
digster wrote:

Yeah, it's different for everyone. I just think great songs (plus consistent production) can unify a diverse group of songs. I think of some of my favorite records, like the White Album or New adventures In Hi-Fi; they're relatively all over the place, but they've always felt extraordinarily cohesive. Same with something like Binaural; there's punk-influenced songs, folk ditties, experimental stuff, anthems, ballads and a ukulele song and it's always felt of a piece to me.

I know exactly what you mean. And I definetely agree with New Adventures in HiFi! No Code and Binaural are very good examples as well. But LB is opposite to those for me, as I said, just a bunch of good to very good songs put together instead of going for the " mood".

PostPosted: Mon June 08, 2015 9:36 am 

LetMeSleep wrote:
Leatherhead wrote:
LetMeSleep wrote:

SESSION ONE
Olé
Sleeping By Myself
Pendulum
Sirens
Infallible
Swallowed Whole
Yellow Moon

So that leaves;

SESSION TWO
Getaway
Mind Your Manners
My Father's Son
Lightning Bolt
Let the Records Play
Future Days

Yeah I disagree. Getaway and MFS are the only 2 I'd care to hear ever again.

I disagree too, I think the material from the second session is on the whole much stronger than the first.

PostPosted: Mon June 08, 2015 9:48 am 

We are a hard bunch to please and maybe now it is impossible. That second bunch of tracks seems rather uninspired to me. It seems that the first bunch of tracks could have made a very different album for them but they second guessed and went away to write some PJ songs, specifically rockers.

Even if I don't like the results, I'd like the band to go out on a limb and release something daring. Even if it didn't break new musical ground (and c'mon this is PJ) maybe ia slight deviation for them.

PostPosted: Mon June 08, 2015 12:49 pm 
The worst

Overall I like what session 1 did a bit more, but my two favorite tracks on the album came from session 2.

From top to bottom I still, several years out, think that L-Bolt is a very strong set of songs that suffer from an unfortunately sterile production. It's like the polar opposite of Riot Act--a comparatively mediocre set of songs that benefited from excellent production.

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon June 08, 2015 8:54 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

stip wrote:
Overall I like what session 1 did a bit more, but my two favorite tracks on the album came from session 2.

From top to bottom I still, several years out, think that L-Bolt is a very strong set of songs that suffer from an unfortunately sterile production. It's like the polar opposite of Riot Act--a comparatively mediocre set of songs that benefited from excellent production.

:gomez:

You watch it, pal!

PostPosted: Mon June 08, 2015 9:08 pm 
Rank This Poster

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one that prefers modern day PJ to rock anymore. To me, Ed's gravely voice seems best nowadays when he's not trying to sing too much and doesn't have the extra time to add lots of silly extra sounds.

PostPosted: Mon June 08, 2015 9:48 pm 
The worst

Ed's lowerish register is still pretty excellent. Sirens is excellent (especially the first half), and Mind Your Manners is how every fast pearl jam song should sound going forward. It's the higher notes that seem to get him in trouble.

Eddie's delivery at the start of Yellow Moon, where he decides to hold a note rather than practice his vowels, also seems to indicate that he can still do it when he wants to--certainly in the studio.

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon June 08, 2015 10:03 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I could listen to nothing but Yellow Moon for a good long while.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9951 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 483, 484, 485, 486, 487, 488, 489 ... 498  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam