The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9951 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 492, 493, 494, 495, 496, 497, 498  Next

You Know What To Do!
Getaway 13%  13%  [ 42 ]
Mind Your Manners 2%  2%  [ 8 ]
My Father's Son 12%  12%  [ 38 ]
Sirens 7%  7%  [ 23 ]
Lightning Bolt 6%  6%  [ 20 ]
Infallible 12%  12%  [ 38 ]
Pendulum 27%  27%  [ 88 ]
Swallowed Whole 6%  6%  [ 21 ]
Let the Records Play 2%  2%  [ 7 ]
Sleeping By Myself 2%  2%  [ 7 ]
Yellow Moon 10%  10%  [ 32 ]
Future Days 1%  1%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 328
 Post subject: Re: Lightning Bolt: The Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Wed February 13, 2019 6:09 am 
10Club Complaint Department

It’s been years since I’ve listened to LB. It doesn’t sound fun at all.

PostPosted: Wed February 13, 2019 9:16 am 
AnalLog

Only problem with Lightning Bolt is the production is shocking.

Lightning Bolt(song) and Infallible are the best examples of great songs having their balls removed. The fade out in Lightning Bolt is criminal.

Take out SBM and add Of The Earth.

Take out BOB and add in Homme/Vig(I’m sure there are other producers that other could name) to the production this album would be dark and powerful.

Oh and I like backspacer purely because they set out to make a simple album and stayed true to their vision and didn’t second guess themselves (unlike binaural and avocado).

They keep saying they are going to try something different with this album which I can’t wait to hear.

Basically I just want then to sound like a garage band again.

Can’t wait for the 20 year anniversary of LB(only 14 years to go) and someone re-mixes the whole thing

PostPosted: Wed February 13, 2019 1:14 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

yeah i agree with that. The production is so bright, so uninterested, so lazy. Most of this songs would benefit so much with a sound like Yield or Vitalogy and here Brendan puts eddie's voice upfront and take every ounce of personality the music have. Its so fucking bright it hurts.

I do like his approach in Mind Your Manners tough.

PostPosted: Thu October 03, 2019 8:35 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Quote:
Most users ever online was 235 on July 11th, 2013, 12:15 pm

Huh. I wonder what happened?
Quote:
"Mind Your Manners" is a song by the American alternative rock band Pearl Jam. It was released on July 11, 2013 as a digital download as the lead single from their tenth studio album Lightning Bolt.[3][4]

ah.

also I did not know there were videos released for this album. wow.

PostPosted: Thu October 03, 2019 10:20 pm 
Future Drummer

bune wrote:
Quote:
Most users ever online was 235 on July 11th, 2013, 12:15 pm

Huh. I wonder what happened?
Quote:
"Mind Your Manners" is a song by the American alternative rock band Pearl Jam. It was released on July 11, 2013 as a digital download as the lead single from their tenth studio album Lightning Bolt.[3][4]

ah.

also I did not know there were videos released for this album. wow.

Because the song Sirens alone wasn't bad enough.

I listened to this album yesterday for the first time in a very long time and... fuck it, I see zero reason to ever listen to it again.

PostPosted: Fri October 04, 2019 12:32 am 
Champion of RM

Officially their only album in the past decade.

PostPosted: Fri October 04, 2019 1:37 am 
for those who
are not...shall be

CopperTom wrote:
Officially their only album in the past decade.

:shock:

PostPosted: Sat October 05, 2019 12:47 am 
10Club Complaint Department

I can't argue with it being the best PJ album of the decade.

PostPosted: Sun October 06, 2019 11:13 am 
AnalLog

VinylGuy wrote:
yeah i agree with that. The production is so bright, so uninterested, so lazy. Most of this songs would benefit so much with a sound like Yield or Vitalogy and here Brendan puts eddie's voice upfront and take every ounce of personality the music have. Its so fucking bright it hurts.

I do like his approach in Mind Your Manners tough.

Bright is probably the best description of the production. It just didn’t match/work with the material. Backspacer production on material that didn’t require it. As Ive said Infallible and Lightning Bolt suffer the most.

I think BOB nailed Sirens Getaway Yellow Moon . Outside of that few are ok. He did a good job with SBM but the song just doesn’t fit the tone of the album.

I liked Lightning Bolt when It first came out but it’s by far their worst sounding/unlistenable album.

PostPosted: Sun October 06, 2019 3:13 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

It is their weakest. Its the first one from their career were they dont try new things.

PostPosted: Mon October 07, 2019 11:11 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

As time has gone by, my opinion is basically the same as it was. It’s significantly better than Baxkspacer, but still ranks #9. Future Days is really the only song I always hit skip for.

PostPosted: Fri October 18, 2019 8:40 pm 
A Return To Form

Got Some wrote:
I liked Lightning Bolt when It first came out but it’s by far their worst sounding/unlistenable album.

Exactly how I feel about this record. I put it on the other day and got to Sirens and just turned it off. It has not aged well.

PostPosted: Fri October 18, 2019 8:58 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

j's brain wrote:
Got Some wrote:

Exactly how I feel about this record. I put it on the other day and got to Sirens and just turned it off. It has not aged well.

my gut instinct was that i didn't like it, but the hype around it and it being the first PJ album in 4 years clouded my judgement, and i saw the album with false excitement. once the dust cleared, it settled snugly into the bottom of the list of PJ albums.

PostPosted: Mon November 18, 2019 2:47 pm 
Future Drummer

So my girlfriend did a freelance design job for a Volcom ad. I had flashbacks of that Volcom pop up they did for LB. Man, that was brutal.

Anyway, just thought I'd add that.

Have you considered stacking papers and getting paid?

PostPosted: Mon November 18, 2019 11:19 pm 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

bodysnatcher wrote:
j's brain wrote:
Got Some wrote:

my gut instinct was that i didn't like it, but the hype around it and it being the first PJ album in 4 years clouded my judgement, and i saw the album with false excitement. once the dust cleared, it settled snugly into the bottom of the list of PJ albums.

I think there's a few really good tracks on there. I loved Getaway when the record came out, but the truly awful live versions of it sort of killed my enjoyment of the song. MYM, Sirens, Pendulum, Yellow Moon are all top tier tracks as far as this cat's concerned, but the production of the record completely ruins them. If all the tracks were recorded like the video version of Sirens, this album would be a lot better.

PostPosted: Tue November 19, 2019 1:11 am 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I still like this album but agree that something about this recording is bland and lacks punch. It doesn’t help that a few songs kind of hit a gut punch of don’t work that unfortunately stain the album as a whole. Specifically I refer to Sirens and Future Days. I do still enjoy the remainder of the album, even if some songs are not essential Pearl Jam, they are still pretty good. I do think it’s really the logical extension of Backspacer and while the two are quite close for me (at the bottom of the pack even if I still do like them), I’d ultimately take this one.

PostPosted: Tue November 19, 2019 2:36 am 
jeeeesus relax already

I prefer Backspacer. Both of them sound really bad tough...im not sure what happened to Brendan but the production on these two is just terrible. So clean, so brickwalled, it doesnt have any space too breathe at all.

LB is a little bit better, but it would have benefited a lot from a production like Yield. Songs like Getaway, SW or LTRP would be much better.

PostPosted: Tue November 19, 2019 3:20 am 
Stone's Bitch

gonna retweet myself cuz why the hell not assholes.

evenslow wrote:
Fresh off of listening through Yield, I will now attempt a LAL of Lightning Bolt by the group Pearl Jam for the first time in 3 years. (Probably shouldn't have listened to Yield first):

GETAWAY
Right away compared to Yield this sounds so fucking overprocessed. Oh well. Jeff's bass is fucking killer and I've always loved Ed's energy on this thing. Matt Cam is totally unimaginative on this, which I feel is going to become a theme. Otherwise the rest of the band is alive and kicking. MVP = JA

MIND YOUR MANNERS
Really wish this sounded more "garage" and dirty, but again the word "processed" comes to mind. This song feels tight when it should be lose and almost off the rails. AND THEN MCCREADY COMES IN TO SAVE THE DAY AND MELT ALL OUR FACES WITH AN ABSOLUTELY INSPIRED SOLO. The rest of the song gains momentum from that section and there is some interesting guitar underplay going on for the rest. MVP = MIKE!!

MY FATHER'S SON
This sounds better from the start. I really hate Ed's pronunciation of "Geen-ee-us" though. The sound of the verse is really nice and reminds me of a darker Police track. The chorus doesn't set my world on fire. Reminds me of the score to the Matrix somehow. Love the random clouds parting of the bridge. The song needed it. Ed delivers a really nice verse after the bridge and the guitars are swirling around. Probably the best realized "sound" of the album. MVP = BOB :shock:

SIRENS
The track placement of this song is really no bueno but I like how that acoustic sounds. A lot. "Have to take your hand and feel your breath" followed by Stone's swooping soaring guitar accents is a real highlight that flows so nicely into danced with laughter with the ever after part. There are points where I wish the piano wasn't there and it sounds a little too basic, but it builds and absolutely gets me by the heart which is all that matters. Indeed, the fear goes away. One could say it over
Spoiler: show
whelms
MVP = STONE

LIGHTNING BOLT
Too thin. Too reedy. But I can totally see where they were going with this song and when you hear it live it becomes waaaay more apparent. That first mini-solo does cook. I just wish they were all playing this completely unleashed like how they sound in that S/T EPK. As I said before, this needs to sound dirtier with garage rock tendencies. Instead it sounds like a plinky-plinko facsimile. But there is a really nice song here regardless. And hey everyone look someone woke up Matt Cameron at the 3-minute mark and he acted like he was playing in a rock band! MVP = MATTHEW

INFALLIBLE
Really cool riff idea at the heart of this. I'm a broken record though and wish it sounded... dirtier, like it did through the walls of that one leaked live recording we all heard way back when. The whole thing is a little too fresh and has a bubble-gum sheen over it, especially apparent when you get to the chorus. Matt Cam could help this decidedly by remembering any number of his interesting Soundgarden drum takes. Never noticed that the second chorus features background "OOOOOOOOHs". Man BOB really had these guys comin' and goin', huh? MVP = ED (sings the fuck out of this thing)

PENDULUM
This is affecting. Recorded nicely (an outlier on this record). Ed's voice is warm amidst the dystopian sounds of the keyboard/drums. Yeah this is really nice - better than I remembered. It's spare which allows each instrument to have an impact. Jeff's bass reminds me of Master/Slave. Dig the spaghetti western guitar sound. I get a random Tarantino vibe from this track, like it could have scored the snowy mountain landscape of Hateful 8. MVP = JA

SWALLOWED WHOLE
They had the right idea with the fun energy of this following Pendulum but those guitars are (AGAIN) reedy and thin for fuck's sake. 1min 20sec in things really start to cook and now we're talking. The forward movement of this song helps you forget the production. The bridge is super Into the Wild. Then the solo kicks in and they sound like a FUCKING BAND again. Because of that the post-solo section is the best moment on the record. They're playing with abandon, the lack thereof is the problem with the rest of the record. MVP = ED (an Ed track through-and-through)

LET THE RECORDS PLAY
That opening is really fucking nice. I remember hearing this the first time and being like WTF IS THIS. It's funny how such a simple blues track can be taken as anathema to PJ but it is. "Needin' the feelin" is kind of annoying. But the verses are really nice. Like trag said in another thread, this song could really benefit by playing off of some of the songs on Backspacer, b/c there's a lightness to the touch of this track that is similar to some of BS. It's funny how the most blues-rock guy in the band (Mike) underwhelms with his solos on this. He's better when he has to find a way to fit into the song like MYM. MVP = STONE (for that opening lick)

SLEEPING BY MYSELF
I don't think I'll ever get over them putting an Ed Ved cover on a PJ album, but there's no denying this does sound really fantastic. It sounds like they're all playing in one room, which is a tallest midget compliment but here we are. Matt plays it just right on this with a light touch. Pretty amazing these guys can execute a song like this and a song like My Father's Son all on the same album. MVP = MATT

YELLOW MOON
Starts off promising with the Neil Young acoustic. My biggest problem is that it just doesn't ever really go anywhere. The verse seems like it's going to take you on a mysterious journey... and then you get to the chorus and it runs in place. Sorry this just never takes off for me. MVP = BOOM (I guess? For the organ flourishes)

FUTURE DAYS
Oh boy. Why does BOB sound like he outsourced his piano duties to a 5-year old? I don't know man. I really don't like the arrangement here at all. This would have really benefited from a Tunnel of Love approach. Even though it sounds spare there's really way too much going on here with the background vocals, the synth, the fiddle, the acoustic exactly mirroring the vocal, the piano, Ed's track pushed up way too much to the front. If they did it with just synth and quiet acoustic (no background vox) this could have been really cool. MVP = THE FADEOUT

I'm probably being a little harsh on this album, and a lot of that simply has to do with the sound and production and arrangements. There is still a lot of good here buried by BOB and the band's laziness. I feel like they have to work harder at this, especially this late in the game. Maybe they're taking so long to release a new one b/c they know they have to bring the goods next time out. Here's hoping. But the real highlight for me during this LAL was definitely Pendulum/Swallowed Whole. Good shit.

PostPosted: Fri November 22, 2019 4:09 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Pendulum is overrated, Yellow Moon is a lesser Low Light, Future Days is okay.

I agree that Infallible, while a bit too much like Tremor Christ, is saved by Ed on the chorus.

PostPosted: Fri November 22, 2019 4:27 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I hate FD so so much.

is there a worst PJ song?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9951 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 492, 493, 494, 495, 496, 497, 498  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam